Big Bike Solo on the Trans-Am Trail (TN-MS-AR-OK-NM)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 27, 2007.

1. KawDlr

KawDlr Kawasaki GURU

Oddometer:
    Hey Tony,

That's mighty fine of you to offer! I am making a list of contacts, I will PM you to get your info.

Thanks Again,
    Jody
  2. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:

whats your plan for getting home?
  3. qxzlool

qxzlool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read probably 20 different TAT ride reports in various places, and a pic of this crossing has been in almost every one of them- I've seen it so many times I'm starting to feel like I've already crossed it. It must be the slickest spot in the entire Trail!

4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This one has a slight grade and a smooth surface . . . very slick. The front end started to slip out (downgrade) and I had to really hold onto the bars to keep the bike up. I am amazed on how slick some of these crossing can be.
  5. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    Just came across your report this morning and stayed on it the whole day, with some work interruption!!!!:evil

Great report Bryan, I was considering bringing my TA to do it, but was concerned about it. I read the article in the RoadRunner mag about it, but wanted to know from a real world guy. You did awesome, with lots of preps and common sense. Thanks for sharing.

Hope you go back and finish it!
  6. gosling1

gosling1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That 3rd World Country know as South Carolina
    I'd have to agree with you - this is the one where my buddy went down on his KTM 640 in spite of trying to carefully pick his line. It took both of us to get my Tiger across - I slipped & fell in the middle of it while trying to find a better path :cry
  7. GrauTier

GrauTier Unmitigated nOOb

Oddometer:
    I found this thread yesterday and found it to be a very interesting and enjoyable read. I'm glad to hear your V-Strom worked well for this type of use.

I hope I can do the same one day.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I read the Road Runner article too. It was good, but it is very difficult to tell the story comprehensively in only a few words and pictures in a magazine article. Our ability to search out tap into a variety of detailed reports from people with a variety of experiences and a lot of pictures really makes advrider a valuable asset! I really benefitted from reports from other riders (and hope a couple of folks get something from mine too).

This place is great! :D
  9. motorrad-michael

motorrad-michael www.facebook.com/Mot

Oddometer:
    The Trans-Am Trail roll charts are easy to read - Sam has done an amazing job at putting as much detail as you need into the charts.

Take a look at the sample roll chart image on Sam's web site:
    http://www.transamtrail.com/purchase/
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:

I watched your DVD about the TAT the other day. It was a nice orientation for someone exploring the idea of making the trip. It is a lot like reading the ride reports, you get conversational information that can give you some insight as to what it might be like.

The roll charts are great, but I never really used one. Once you convert the maps to a trackline, navigation is effortless. No miles to keep track of and no charts to load. I kept uncut roll charts in a folder so I could read the next day's each evening (to look for warnings) and refer to them if I had to (which I didn't have to).
  11. Rorschach

Rorschach Lurker Supreme

Oddometer:
    That was an awesome read. Thanks!
  12. Q-dog

Q-dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This one never gets old. Great ride report. :clap
  13. solorider

solorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report! I was going to take the wife on a ride to Mt Magazine and Talimena scenic byway but it was snowed in at The Lodge (Mt. Magazine) so we went aimlessly wandering in cave systems here in Texas and got sick with heatstroke.

Good advice on water crossings, always a good idea to recon before heading in (especially if you see water flowing), a few inches can pack a punch.
  14. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    Yes! Good report, thank you! I got a pentax W-30 and it looks like I'm getting about the same quality from the point-n-shoot that you are. Good stuff. Oh man, gotta get a DS bike sooooooooon...

:thumb
  15. Avistar40

Avistar40 n00b

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  16. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed ride report. I relocated from Wisconsin to Arkansas a few years ago - before I got into dual sport riding. Back then I loved the twisty Arkansas highways on my Harley.
    But now I love the unlimited dirt riding in the Ouachita and Ozark Mountains.
    Just by luck, I now live just off the "TART" trail in Hot Springs Village.
    By design, I now own a DL650 that is perfect for the eastern TAT. I can take a left turn and ride the TART back home. Then I can hop on my WR250R for the western part! :clap
    Anyone crossing these trails is welcome to send me a PM.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed the report. Was surprised to see this one bumped after so many years. Sounds like you are living in a dual sport paradise now!
  18. NGA

NGA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. I loved the pics and commentary.
  19. moe50

moe50 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report, lots of useful info, and pics.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That was a fun ride.