Big Bike Solo on the Trans-Am Trail (TN-MS-AR-OK-NM)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 27, 2007.

1. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Nice to see good old fashioned kindness and willingness to lend a hand. It is few and far between these days.
    :thumb
    Makes me feel a little better about planning a solo trip myself!
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Well, I had to head for home. I thought I could make it to Dodge City, KS today. I kind of wanted to get a beer at the Long Branch. The wind was still blowing like hell. All of a sudden this. Izzat all you got? Bring it on, I can take it.
    [​IMG]

I ran across these propeller blades for wind generators. It was so windy, these guys had to drop anchor at a truck stop for a couple of days.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These custom trailers are v-e-r-y l-o-n-g.
    [​IMG]

The wind was very bad. It was not just the lean, it was the other turbulence induced by obstacles. When I met a semi, I didn't just get the usual bump, I got whipped back and forth a few times. I hated to see them coming and I slowed down and braced the bars. If there were two in a row, it was really bad. If I passed a big grain elevator, I would get whipped back and forth as I went by. Once the road dropped down to cross a creek. There was a railroad embankment next to the road that stayed up high. When I went behind the embankment turbluence pushed back the opposite way. When I got to the trestle opening it felt like I was getting nailed by an air cannon going the other way. I had to put the rain cover on my tank bag because the sidewind kept tearing the map case loose. Once I was stopped at a stop light in Dodge (with my feet down) when the wind started blowing the bike backwards. It was miserable.
    [​IMG]

Don't pass up gas out here. I passed when I was at 3/4 tank. When I finally found gas again, I had cut it awfully close. (Maybe the lean in the wind kept the gas on one side.)
    [​IMG]
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Speaking of wind . . .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Met this guy along the way . . . he reminded me:
    All the Gear All the Time (ATGATT)
    [​IMG]

New TKC 80s
    [​IMG]

My rear tire (back home) after about 4200 miles.
    [​IMG]
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    There have been a few comments about me riding this thing alone.

Hell, I wasn't alone . . . as it turns out I was riding with friends the whole time . . . it is just that they were friends I hadn't had the chance to meet yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(hey, what the heck?!?! :patch )
    [​IMG]

And many others that I didn't photograph. . .

Thanks for riding along. Hope this report helps the next guy. I'm happy to answer any questions I can.:D
    Jollyrogers likes this.
  6. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Awesome Report! Thanks a ton for posting that! It will definitely help my planning to run the Eastern TAT later this year.

How does the strom handle on pavement with TKC's? Does it still reasonably carve up the turns?
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    It runs fine. I was very comfortable leaning into pavement turns on the TKCs. I wish they lasted a little longer, I would run them all the time if they did.
  8. ohioroadrat

ohioroadrat It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer:
    GREAT REPORT-I did the TAT last year all the way solo. Too bad you had to quite in Colo. That`s where it realy starts to get good.Hope you get a chance to pick it up where you left off someday. Thanks for taking me alone in your report,it brought back a lot of memerys and makes me want to ride the whole thing agin real soon.
  9. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot - I'm in awe - grins from ear to ear - can't you keep riding and reporting so i can ride vicariously too? I'm not ready for you to finish yet!:clap :clap

Henry - you da MAN!:clap :clap

Shaggie
    God's Own paradise (that's New Zealand - as if you didn't know!):evil
  10. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    All I can say is I hope it don't rain when we go the same excact route leaving Sept. 22 :lol3 .
    The 950 will have brand new Rally Raids thats for sure.
  11. RideWell.

RideWell. Guest

Just wanted to say thanks for the great report. It has gotten me through many a slow day behind the computer. Keep on keepin' on. Thanks again.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    They make those things near where I work and every once in awhile a ship comes by loaded with props...they stack em like cord wood. I should keep a camera at work.:scratch

Props to Henry. :thumb (Pun not intended)

Nice report. :deal
  13. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb
    Thanks for sharing!!!!
    :lurk
    :ricky
  14. 65bmwr50

65bmwr50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, really enjoyed it.

I bought an DL1000 this spring, and it is nice to see that with proper setup, they are an offroad capable bike.

Thanks again for sharing your trials and tribulations.
  15. gosling1

gosling1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That 3rd World Country know as South Carolina
    Thanks for the well-wishes! We leave around 2 PM tomorrow (Friday) afternoon - hoping to camp tomorrow night in Jellico and start the trail Saturday morning. WX isn't looking too good at the moment :cry Storm front
    has been moving West to East and we're getting a pounding right now. One thing I don't like is slimey mud! :eek1 However, the prospect of being away from work for 5-6 days makes it worth it!:clap Thanks to your excellent photos & ride report, we'll know what to look for!
  16. PK

PK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of your ride reports. Each one has been a real pleasure to read!

And thanks to Henry, too. Isn't it nice when help comes looking for you?
  17. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great, just as good as your MCCCT report! Well done!

Kudos to Henry and company.
  18. contacterich

contacterich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx again for an awesome report! ... and Henry is "da man"!
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hi AJ,

I think I would enjoy riding Tennessee again on my DL - but with a lighter load. The cool weather in Tennessee at the time was fine with me - especially wearing riding clothes.

I think my favorite area was New Mexico. I would like to ride that on my DRZ sometime when it was dry. It would be a nice half day ride - but probably very dusty.

Oklahoma is a great state with a lot of neat stuff, but it is a long way across and some of the route gets kind of boring (can't be helped). There is some neat off route stuff that folks should consider. If you are going to be in Oklahoma, it is nice to get a better taste of it than just what is on the route proper.

This entire ride would be worth doing again.
  20. LoriKTM

LoriKTM Wrecking Ball

Oddometer:
    Woo! Great report, Cannonshot. Makes me want to start riding east to see some of the beautiful Tennesse valley.

There is a TON of great riding in New Mexico-- you just saw the tip of the veritable iceberg on your trip.

But yes, in the spring you will run into snow melt and mud.

Look familiar? TKC-80, packed with mud, front wheel won't turn. We had that just last weekend (late April)...

[​IMG]