Big Bikes Invade 7 Mts Dual Sport!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Who says big bikes can't run dual sport events?? I, for one, sure don't!! You all probably already knew that.

I met up with TechieGuy and some buds riding a KTM 640, KTM 950, and a BMW 1200GS.

The regular Jim Thorpe guys all bailed out leaving me as the lone representative (aka Lone Ranger, since we're in a state forest), a heavy burden to bear. I was however, up to the task, and the Jim Thorpe ADVRider legend continues.

The ride starts at 7 Mountains Campground, in the Bald Eagle State Forest, near State College, PA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of my RORR brothers were there. I didn't get any pictures of those rat bastards. Of course, they were all on full on dirt bikes...CHEATERS. OK, I may have taken one picture. Getting ready to get going!
    [​IMG]
  2. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    It's my first time at this event and I'm not familiar with PATRA's nomenclature of "MAIN", "CHALLENGING", and "DIFFICULT" and how these relate to big bike abilities. So, I asked a PATRA member the nuances of the different ratings, to which a reply came as, "You want to ride a what? KTM 950? Here? Well, you should be OK on the "MAIN", I don't recommend riding the options." Those sound like fighting words to me! But I refrained and kept my composure! I'll show him, I can drag my bike through the options with the best of them! I'm a legend!(in my own mine!)

I started the ride on the main loop riding with my above pictured RORR buddies, with the intent of riding the first option and then hooking up with the TechieGuy crew somewhere after returning to the main loop.

On the first option, rated "CHALLENGING", I was trying to keep up with my dirt bike equipped partners, when arm pump set in at the speed of light! (OK, it really wasn't that fast, it was probably more like the speed of sound) Doh! I had to stop and pop some Advil. Now that I've broken from the PACK, I'm free to ride my pace, and the arm pump vanishes. When I pulled up to a road crossing the PATRA flagger asked me if I was lost, because I surely wouldn't have gone into the option on that bike.

Anyway, here's some pictures from the first option.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soon enough, back on the main loop, I managed to hook up with TechieGuy's group, a motley crew for sure.
    [​IMG]
  3. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit of a social outcast. I abandoned my dirt bike buddies, and my big bike buddies, and rode alone. I just have to ride my own pace, too slow and I'm falling over and picking up my bike, too fast and I'm crashing into trees and picking up my bike.

These pictures are from the main loop. Cool-ass-cool!! Riding three across!
    [​IMG]

Nice single track!
    [​IMG]

Two up riders!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    More single track.
    [​IMG]

Halfway to home, it's time for lunch!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    After lunch, I really didn't see a whole lot of anyone. Great scenery along this easy dirt road.
    [​IMG]

Empty trail shot. A lonely life.
    [​IMG]

I ran into these guys putting a new tube in the front tire. A good opportunity to reconnect with the human race.
    [​IMG]

That bastard had to point out that I had a whopping dent in my front rim! "Have you been riding on that long? I can't believe it's still holding air!" My first thoughts were, HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST ME??
    [​IMG]

How did I dent that KTM butter rim you might ask? Ahhh, I remember it well. It was the first option after lunch. I had promised myself that I would complete the day on the main loop, but...at the split there was this sign saying that this was a driveable 4WD road. The roll chart had it marked "CHALLENGING" with a note of "HILL". I'm thinking that if a 4WD can get up this, damn it, so can I, and off I went. It was all going easy enough, this really needn't be an option. Then the route split from the road, single track, up a long long hill. Trees down to the left, trail goes around to the right. Trees down on the right, trail goes around to the left. I LOVE going uphill, but getting stuck or crashing scares the bejesus out of me. I'm doing fine, having a blast. Confidence is swelling when I see a large branch across the trail. No problem, I'll just wheelie over it! And, it was no problem! Too bad for me that I dropped the front wheel onto a large pointed rock that inflicted the terrible wound to my front wheel and shot me off the side of the bike and down the hill. Fortunately, no one was behind me as my bike was completely blocking the trail!
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I paced myself with these guys for a little while along this 4WD road running along the top of this ridge. Here's some shots.
    [​IMG]

Did you know that most deaths at the Grand Canyon occur when people, usually young men, are posing for pictures along the rocky ledge and lose their balance and fall in? Glad I'd never do something that stupid!
    [​IMG]

The wiseman.
    [​IMG]
  7. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Awesome trail. Unfortunately, nearing the end.
    [​IMG]

I'm leaving. Good bye kind forest!
    [​IMG]

One mile to go. GPS says...
    [​IMG]

I sure had a lot of fun! Only a few miles of blacktop to get to the gas stop. Everything else was trail and dirt road.
  8. Bagspacked

Bagspacked Chasing the Sun...

Oddometer:
    Nightstalker you're the man! Between the 4 of us I think we had the only 4 "big" bikes on this ride. 2 950's, a 625, and my "bulkliner" GS. When we went to the tech inspection the guy looked at me funny and asked if I had ever ridden off road before! Anyway while we were gutting it out you're out there leading the pack and riding hero loops. By the way some of the hero loops looked just like the stuff we were on! Anyway great ride. My skid plate kept trying to rip itself off, but twin headlighternie's new one is on the way. Gene's 950 lost its rear brakes completely by the gas stop (big downhill/no brake-bad combo),and finally techieguy's 625 started overheating (needs a fan). It was a great challenging day though and we're the better for it. Probably see you at the RORR dualsport. Maybe we'll see ourselves on Dirtbike TV if their camera survived.
  9. Bagspacked

Oddometer:
    I have a hard time believing you have a fear of crashing at the rate of impact you were riding at!
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I'm not to sure the camera survived... He was saying something to me at lunch about the large boulders coming off my rear tire and taking out his headlight and giving him a big black and blue mark on his arm. I hightailed it out of there once I got back. He said that he was going to throw rocks at the front of my RV to even the score!

I apologized, and he seemed satisfied. Hope the video makes to the Outdoor Channel. Be on the lookout!
  11. Bagspacked

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't you be in bed by now. You gotta be tired the way you were riding.
  12. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I'm up for as long as it takes to get the job done. I still have to wash the bike and get the tire off that front wheel and check the valves and grease the muffler bearings....
  13. techieguy

techieguy Lost in the woods

Oddometer:
    A good ride! The single track was the most serious dirt riding I've done in quite a few years! The more open trails were absolutely great. [​IMG]

Bagspacked wins the award for bringing the "biggest knife to a gun fight". I was impressed how that GS kept going through those tight spots. I kept wondering what the guys on the 2 strokes thought as they passed us. At least at the gas stop, they knew who to ask for a tire guage, screw driver, hammer....
  14. Bagspacked

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I gotta hand the trophy to the guys that rode two-up. Gene gets the hero award for coming down that hill with no rear brake.
  15. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics :thumb
  16. moto mike

moto mike who needs a front wheel ?

Oddometer:
    Buddy Pal1 !!!

sorry i missed it but i was in Boston. Looks like fun . Whats up for this weekend???
  17. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    Very sorry I missed it. Tell the Patra guys not to have the event on Fathers day. Some of us have kids!!!! Looking forward to next year. Anything happening thia weekend TZ?
  18. msmetz

msmetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the whole day to ride Saturday so I was looking to do something.
  19. Oldbuck

Oldbuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nightstalker - I think I have your rim eating tree/rock here: http://www.familyriders.org/hill.wmv

After the right turn (about 20 seconds into the clip) that trail started getting pretty stepp and was filled with loose marbles - had to maintain momentum on that one, and dodging all the trees didn't make it very easy.

-d
  20. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to ride a lot of these trails every other weekend. Aren't they great?!?!?!

I miss PA sooooo much. That rock you are standing on used to be one of my favorite mid-ride stops to graba drink and a smoke and just CTFO.

Great ride report and pics.

Makes me wanna move back home.