Big Bikes to Carrizo Plain Jan 16th

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Jan 4, 2010.

1. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool Video Tim,

I think the floating UFO ink spot is cool!

Spafxer
  2. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Dave.. Note that the Los Padres South of Sierra Madre, ie LaBrea Cyn and Colson Cyn, is closed until at least July. I'm not sure what the state of Sierra Madre Rd. itself is.. haven't checked lately. Anyone ridden it since summer?
  3. rinconrider

rinconrider Sir Crash-a-lot

Oddometer:
    which road is that at the end? it's after i left, it looks quite different from the rest of the ride...

gread vid, thanks for posting it!

wes
  4. motocrazy

motocrazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pics and good video! Looks like yins had a good long ride, hopefully I can catch the next one.
  5. That Aussie Guy

That Aussie Guy Dances with TKC's

Oddometer:
    Hey all. It was great to ride with such a great group, its the first ADV group ride I have been on that wasn't tour related since I left Australia 2 years ago so thanks for having me!
    I don't have much to add photo wise which is kinda funny since I am an amateur photographer but for some reason I just left the big camera in my tank bag all day and just enjoyed the riding instead. Anyways I have these 3 for you all so maybe next time I will take more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. buenfeelings

buenfeelings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fellow riders,
    Wanted to thank all of you for such an amazing day of riding. It's amazing to feel that sort of comradery when riding. It definitely allows me to work and try to advance my riding skills knowing everyone's got each other's back.
    SPECIAL THANKS TO [[ JOEL ]] !!
    Putting a ride like this takes time and much effort and Joel, buddy, you did a great job. On my ride back, I was thinking of ways to thank any rider for organizing a ride. Joel motivated us all to live a day of adventure that lives on in our memory. That's priceless! I motion that any rider who puts a day like this together and gets us home safe deserves to be taken care of. With as many riders as we had, a few extra $ would have kept Joel's pockets full as when they left his house. Joel even went to battle for us to save our money!
    Thanks again Joel, your next ADVrider meal is on me!
    Thanks to all the riders, what a day!

Short video:<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LPeAhFqxA5c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LPeAhFqxA5c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Music: Gustavo Cerati "La Costura de Dios"
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    more nice pics from randy and theaussieguy...:thumb hey tim, from hereon you will be the designated videographer on our rides; some day i can learn how to use the contour hd you guys gave me last xmas, but that wil take a few more months. and those with cameras, please start using them.

hey folks, i'm just happy and appreciative as you are for doing the ride; the only reason i'm organizing rides is to get enough FFs to help me pick up my bike; like treadless said...i have a uncanny ability to put bikes to sleep including pigs...:rofl

[​IMG]

wes, that's hw58 heading west! nice smooth road, tax money well spent! that's the same road where we turn left on e.pozo rd that eventually took us to w. pozo rd which ends at hw58 near the 101. hope it didn't confuse you.

tom will surely love this pic...:evil
    [​IMG]<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  8. ddennis669

ddennis669 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice video. Thanks for sharing it.:clap
  9. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me but needs more spice... There are a couple of other good
    roads that should be included. Dates are good.

We did Saturday's Carrizo ride backwards but didn't run into you FFs. Probably the side trip over West Camino Cielo and the extended stops for wine tastings in Santa Ynez Valley had something to do with that.

I heartily encourage riding a dependable machine for Cedric III.

WW
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    can you mount the camera on the side of the helmet? i plan to mount mine on the left cheek, easy access with the left hand while riding. [​IMG]

:clap wow!
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    From the videos I've seen, mounting the camera off center gives you really goofy perspective when viewing the footage. Its worse with a fisheye lens like my Hero camera has.

Having easy access to the camera isn't a big deal. Unless you've got big buttons on the camera, you almost have to take your gloves off to operate them. The other thing to think about is what part of your body will the camera hit when you're bike takes a nap?
  12. reBARman

reBARman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool pics and videos! Looks like you guys hit it at the right time, I'm sure that place will be a mud hole for some time after this storm passes through.

good to see you riding again Joel :thumb
  13. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lonestar. I was tailgating tbarstow because on his HID's. You would have never guessed but I had my lights on high beam too.:roflI have a hid ballast that ill try to wire up this week. I am also going to figure out how to make a bracket for some driving lights. Ben
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:

thanks tim. how about using a ram mount? i think i should do that first before i start getting cute.

yeah toby, the riding gods were with us. it started raining sunday afternoon here non-stop until 3pm this afternoon. carrizo dirt is more like clay and it will turn into a putty when get wet.

my next ride will be the nOObs rALLy in march wherein i hope to see you ; though surely will sneak out on my tw or 640 before that.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    after gassing up in maricopa, we gathered the crew and turned over the lead to dave (blue ninja)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the thumpers knew their place in the food chain and parked their bikes in the back...:lol3
    [​IMG]

randyM thinking he had some great videos to share...:becca
    [​IMG]

sorry guys for waiting; dave and i were doing the cedric III road side drills
    [​IMG]

thanks bob for riding behind me on the way home on the 101; with your headlight and auxilliaries...i didn't bother turning on my heated vest; there was a moment i smell burning fabric....:lol3
    [​IMG]

if ain't a 300+ mile ride, this eric and his haski won't come out..:eek1
    [​IMG]

wohooo...a SE
    [​IMG]

spafxer showing his loyalty to the austrian mfr
    [​IMG]

eduardo's gs is our answer to the 990S....:nod
    [​IMG]

the FFs are fast on the straightways
    [​IMG]

nice and green along the way; but i'm sure no one even noticed it
    [​IMG]

at this junction, the honey doos peeled off from the rest of the gang
    [​IMG]
  16. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    I have the 720P (older) Version of the ContourHD.

I found the top mount works best except on flip-up helmets. Usually I can keep the helmet and most of the bike out of the picture with it mounted on top of the helmet. I found side mounting and the goggle mount usually has part of the helmet in the video, especially with a dirt helmet. Ram mounts fixed on the bike vibrate a little too much for me, but I'm picky about that.

This time, I just put the camera on at one of the stops without removing my helmet. I should have checked it at one of the other stops but forgot. The photo above also explains another problem with my video; the camera is looking down instead of level. I set up the camera mount for my DR350, but I lean forward more on the Vstrom. Now I see why the camera is pointing down.
  17. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the pix guys, keep 'em coming! :clap
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:

thanks randy, looks like you and tim got the right set up. i'm just a little worried that the mount will come off easily since the contour of the top of the helmet is not as flat as the cheek side. i can epoxy it permanently on my fox helmet but never on the arai.

glad you like them, i still have to post the pozo pics.
  19. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    the 450 mile loop for me was the longest ride i did in one day...:knary

lucky for those who live in ventura and camarillo....:jkam they got it made!