1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Bore in Yosemite (Wawona centric)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SLONOBS, Sep 24, 2018.

1. SLONOBS

SLONOBS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding up from LA to camp in Wawona for a couple nights this week. I'm on a 990ADV. I'd like to hit up some chill trails or logging roads to get away from the beaten path for some views. What's out there?
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    You might want to make sure the area isn't evacuated. There is a fire near Awahnee that is only 35% contained at this point.

Riding wise, there are some cool paved roads between Wawona and Shaver Lake, then lots of forest roads out from there towards Dinkey Creek (there are some really nasty trails out there appropriate for 2-stroke riders, so be sure to turn around early if you get into that stuff.

You could also exit Yosemite on Hwy 120, and take Cherry Lake Road to Cherry Lake, then on to Sonora. From there, either take Hwy 49 back, or Old Wards Ferry Road. Either way, it's a nice big loop that is easy and scenic.

A little further north, how about Slick Rock Road from Lake Alpine on Hwy 4, to Utica Reservoir?

For something lower elevation, you could go down to Coarsegold, then take back roads through Raymond and Hornitos, looping back to Hwy 49.
    SLONOBS likes this.
  3. SLONOBS

SLONOBS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is great gouge! Thanks for letting me know. My route is up the 41, through Wawona and into the valley. Fingers crossed.
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    It doesn't appear to be affecting Hwy 41 just yet, and at the rate they are getting a handle on it, it probably won't. Wawona itself might be smokey though.

"The huge column of smoke over the Oakhurst area the past few days has been reduced to a light haze as firefighters on the Oak Fire continue to hold it at 390 acres. It is now 45 percent contained."
    https://sierranewsonline.com/firefighters-hold-the-oak-fire-at-390-acres-increase-containment/
    SLONOBS likes this.
  5. SLONOBS

SLONOBS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Roads too fun. Never saw dirt...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Better quality on YT...