Big Crash in Honduras??

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by GR8ADV, Jan 24, 2011.

1. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    I am in Honduras, and for the last few days I keep hearing about a GS that crashed big time here about a week ago. Anyone from this site? Let's hope not.
  2. Dan Man

Dan Man ex-adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you heard yet?
  3. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    nothing, so I assuming not.
  4. JediMaster

JediMaster Adam Lewis

Oddometer:
    Sadly the stpry is true.

The rider in question was Australian Matty Lee. I met him and his English riding partner Ben in Zacatecas back in November.
    Two days ago I met Ben by chance (and his father who's flown in for morale support) and heard about Matty's death.

See Ben & Matty's website for news as they release it:
    http://www.benandmatty.com/
  5. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Gracias

RIP

6. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    From their blog:
    I will keep this brief for now.
    As many of you already know as keen followers of our adventures. Matty was killed whilst riding his bike in Honduras on the 18 January 2011.
    Details of his death are being kept off the pages for now as it is still a very traumatic thing for myself and his entire family to deal with and I would really appreciate keeping details of the accident away from public places. If you wish for more information then I will endeavour to email everyone as soon as is possible given the huge amount of work ahead of us to get Matty home to his family.
    I was riding behind Matty when this occurred. It was a beautiful day and we were having a good time. He was really enjoying the trip and loving Honduras and I feel thankful that his last few weeks and months that I spent were him were very happy times for both of us. I was largely unharmed in the accident and was thankfully able to help the police with the immediate aftermath of the event and now as I help his family deal with the difficult processes ahead.
    I will be travelling with Matty back to Australia, back to Townsville where his family are once arrangements are made.
    Matty will always travel with me forever more and you can be sure that we haven’t finished this trip yet! Watch this space.
    Much love to all our fans
    Ben

Fuck, this sucks.
  7. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    “Live life so completely that when death comes to you like a thief in the night, there will be nothing left for him to steal.”

Rest in peace Matty, our prayers and thoughts are with you, your family and friends.
  8. marior97

marior97 marior97

Oddometer:
    Descansa en paz Matty
  9. olyflyer

olyflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow this is heavy news, I met and hung out with Matty in Austin TX for a day real top bloke

RIP
  10. alsi

alsi n00b

Oddometer:
    my condolences to the family and friends of this rider

i stumbled across this site and this thread somehow today and it piqued my interest enough to search for some info on what happened, since the deceased's partner didn't want to share it on their trip blog. obviously, this was too difficult for him and the family to post it there on the blog, but a search for news on this item does show up with some details. i don't think the riders were members of this forum so i hope it's not seen as somehow morbid to post a link to the news article (in Spanish) here. imho it's helpful to fellow riders to know what happened so one can evaluate the risks of what can happen in a place like Honduras or anywhere.

turns out the rider was struck head-on by a speeding pickup truck that was passing on a curve or a hill or both (not clear...the article says a curve but photos don't seem to indicate much of a curve). Apparently, happened at just about midday...weather and sunlight should not have been factors. Poor driving judgment/abilities of the offending driver were strictly the cause of this tragedy.

http://www.todoslosdiarios.com/noti...Diario-La-Prensa-del-19-01-2011-Pagina-2.html

the text version of the article linked to above is about 6 headlines down. be warned...if you click on the headline of the article it will take you to another version of this same article by La Prensa which contains two photographs of the accident scene. one of the photos shows a partially covered body (by a tree branch). this may be disturbing to some. please be advised. the article text is exactly the same in the link above but there are no photos in the link above.

i have lived in Honduras some years ago and currently I live in Latin America and this kind of driving is not surprising. i see drivers passing on blind curves and near crest of hills at times among other dangerous practices.
  11. olyflyer

olyflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. matatigres

matatigres endless summer

Oddometer:
    Just rode by that area a few weeks ago....RIP brother.
  13. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I know I shouldn't have, but I looked at the pictures. Holy Shit he wrecked that truck.

Reading some of the comments in the Prensa article is exactly like reading comments anywhere else. Some blame drugs. Some blame arrogant drivers. And others blame the police for giving out so many drivers licenses.

Over in Mickycito's thread on Road Hazzards, he should add a use for branches.

RIP.