Big Europe Trip 2020 - Let's discuss and meet

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by perco, Oct 9, 2019.

1. perco

perco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

soooooooo... it seems that we are already some people wanted to travel through Europe from april 2020. So I first wanted to start a thread to share my project but lets discuss everybody's one :D
    @vfrmike @TundraOG

Here is my plan, not finished yet for the far eastern part after nordkapp :
    https://planificateur.a-contresens.net/itineraire/219993

So if you guys, planning to travel or just want to meet let's discuss here. I will also share some news of my travel here.

Some intel :
    Turn 32 this year, already been riding for 7 years and wanted now to taste something bigger with no obligation to return until I want to.
    I just told yesterday my employer that I quit and be free by Christmas :) I'm now working on planning my trip, looking for some new stuff (panniers & tent at least, also gopro and drone maybe) .
    I will ride all this on my XTZE 1200 that already been in the balkan last year :)
    MarkoB94 and vfrmike like this.
  2. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    The first leg along the Med ... even the secondary roads are full of trucks bypassing the toll roads on their way from/to southern Spain. On the coastal road, I had the impression of an endless chain of hotel resorts and landfills. Scenery and riding got much better as soon as I headed a few kilometers inland.

Why are you skipping the Norwegean fjords south of Trondheim? Others take a trip just to see that area - Slartibartfast didn't receive his award for nothing. I would prefer that to central Sweden anytime.

Edit:
    By the way ... a great idea! So much to see in Europe.
    :ricky:clap
  3. perco

perco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Hi !

Thank's for the advices, that the point of this topic. If I just go straight south Spain it's because I will leave early april to join as quickly as possible a friend's house at Almeria and chill there for 2 weeks :D :D :D
    As I live in Toulouse I had already been a lot in spain.

About Norway, thank for the tip I will modify my trip to visit coastland designed by Slartibarfast :rofl
  4. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant DR650 guru, single track snob, RTW rider

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    We just spent a month riding in Romania, then 2 weeks in Bulgaria and a month in Turkey. We were surprised how much we liked Romania and Turkey! Both are great places, friendly people, nice roads (good dirt roads in Romania too) and pretty cheap (September in Turkey is off season). Some pretty epic roads and passes to hit, great camp places (Moto Camp Bulgaria is probably the best overlander camp we've ever been to), cool towns in Romania and good food. You will not be disappointed!
  5. perco

perco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, I already been in Romania for 4 months (not by bike) 10y ago and make some good friends there, that why I will spend around 2-3 weeks here. Also planned to arrive in Turkey for early September and enjoy the off season, if you have places or road to share I will definitely look at it :)
    Already looking for stopping at Moto Camp (seems amazing !)
  6. Constantinos

Constantinos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone

I am planning something similar for the coming summer. Roughly will be starting from Greece and travelling to Norway and back. Will have something like 50-60 days. July-August 2020. Would be looking mostly to camp and even cook on site to keep cost as low as possible. Would love to meet or even travel some days with some company from you inmates.
  7. istadniy

istadniy Ivan the Quite OK

Oddometer:
    About that bit hugging the Dnipro. Most of those large cities along the river aren't gonna be anything special much. You just miss the Oleshky Sands desert, though probably XTZE 1200 with all the luggage isn't the best bike for it. Askania Nova nature reserve is also close by.

Going north - probably stay on the right (Western) bank a big further, until Cherkasy or Kaniv. This way you can visit Kholodny Yar, which is a pretty forest reserve and and also features quite heavily in Ukrainian history. The unfinished Chyhyryn nuclear power plant will also be along the way (really unfinished, it's mostly just the foundations on a pretty river bank, the plant was cancelled once Chernobyl blew up).

Crossing to the left bank and still going north, the Spaso-Preobrazhens╩╣ka Tserkva or the "Sunken Church" is pretty to look at, but again, I'm not sure how easy it will be to get to on a large and heavy bike.
  8. perco

perco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes of course, we will see when & where we will be :)

Thank you very much, I will take a look to all of that and add it to my trip :)

Concerning the bike not sure at 100% if I will go with the super big tenere or a lighter bike. I will look forward for the roads you indicate but for instance does the Oleshky Sands desert is doable with a T700 ofr instance ? Seems more for dirtbike... ?
  9. istadniy

Oddometer:
    People did ride the Oleshky Sands on big ADV bikes, but obviously the lighter the better.
  10. MarkoB94

MarkoB94 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan on doing a similar trip in May for 4-5 months. I am flying my 2017 Africa Twin from Vancouver, Canada to London and then heading down through France, Spain, basically the same as you. I'm going as budget-friendly as possible. Mainly camping and cheap hostels to keep costs low. Any recommendations? Safe Riding!
  11. istadniy

Oddometer:
    Hey, @perco it looks like you have the wrong Kholodnyi Yar in your itinerary (point #82). The one I meant is here: https://goo.gl/maps/nsXZcMLhzuKHYnBy6 (that exact point on map is a large oak tree and a wooden church) and generally in the forest in that area, near road T2402
  12. perco

perco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for correcting me!

I haven't reply for a while but the trip is still planed, I'm just avoiding Europe winter's by traveling southeast Asia (yes I know good timing ^^) will be back to France end of March and going to start riding by the end of April.

Just sayin if some people want to join for some days (or more!) still welcomed!

By the way I've sold by big St 1200 for a tenere 700 thanks for advices.