Big Fat Tat on a BDR Roll: aka The 2021 U.S. Dirty Dirty Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ikeya-Seki, Jul 9, 2021.

1. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for remembering the beer :beer, Joe
    It was a real treat meeting you on the TAT and sharing stories.
    DragonJoe likes this.
  2. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sit Rep: @ Tonopah Brewing Company

Katy M in limp mode. 125 miles to go. Hopefully I make it.
    GringoRider likes this.
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh no.....
  4. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Sit Rep: Made it to Mammoth where I am well resourced. I hope to have Katy M in for repairs soon, but this may be an ending to the 2021 US Dirty Dirty. RR with breakdown details to follow.

Ikeya-Seki, out.
    chudzikb and GringoRider like this.
  5. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Say it isn't so!!

Jonathan
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  6. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, over? Has it been enjoyable for you? Things you would have done differently?
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  7. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:

I’m still taking stock of the situation. Ironically, the KTM shop of choice is 283 miles away - the same exact distance between Elk City and the shop in Nampa, ID.

The CABDR may have to wait, but who knows? I’ll have a better handle on things in a few days. A list of gear/bike repairs is forming and it’s not short. The mud hole beat me up good so rest is fine by me.

In general though, I’ve enjoyed every minute, every mile and meeting folks along the way,
  8. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed it works out for you.

Jonathan
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  9. disco fred

disco fred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I refused to believe that this will be the end of your epic quest! Best of luck!
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  10. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Friday, October 1
    Day: 87
    (officially)

Nuts & Bolts: I survive the night in the dungeon at the Paradise Ranch Castle and after a semi-self cooked breakfast, I fill up with gas in Austin and make my way toward Tonopah with the plan of continuing on to Mammoth Lakes if daylight allows. About 20-30 miles into the ride, Katy M starts acting up and cuts out after 4000 rpm in any gear. I make trailside adjustments, but nothing works. Shortly after, Katy M’s engine light comes on, confirming my guess she’s in limp mode. With luck, determination and a little mechanical minded tricks, we make it to safe haven in time to pick up a ready made chicken & Guinness before sunset.

Miles: 281.2
    Total Miles: 12,477

MPG:
    Total MPG: 55.4

Tires: Rear: Motoz Desert HT - 35- 40% No Cracks. Front: Motoz Rallz 60-65%
    Installed Oregon (I’d need to check this thread to recall the mileage)

Weather: 20-64F. Very cold morning temps succumb to clear skies & sun but warming only into the low 60’sF

Trail Conditions: More sandy, but firm county roads. Hills and vistas until engine issues - long straight black top finishing with a few twisty mountain passes and a hill climb up to Mammoth.

Stops: Tonapah Brewing Company for smoked turkey, beans, slaw & a Irish Red

Observations: How many miles of BDR & TAT does it take to break a KTM 790R? About 12,500.

On the way to the castle in Reed River, I was down to an estimated fuel range of 23 miles. At one point I got on the throttle and Katy M just bogged down, almost cutting out. At the time, I attributed it to low fuel. I motored on at normal speeds without issue.

The next morning I made the 16 mile trek to Austin for fuel without issue, although I was feathering the gas to ensure I made it.

After fueling up I set off on the trail and didn’t notice anything unusual until I hit a wide open straight and got on the throttle. Katy M cut right out at about 4000 rpm, but seemed to run okay otherwise.

Suspecting a dirty air filter, especially after the bull/bug dust pond, I pulled over and swapped out the dirty filter for a clean one. While the filter was dirty, it was no where near what I’d expected and the inside of the air box was clean, clean, clean (thanks Rottweiler Performance).

With no improvement, I decided it was better to slab it to Tonopah and assess the situation. So I did. In fact, after some lunch, I decided to attempt to ride all the way to Mammoth where I cold store it until I figure out a remedy.

Using a 15/45 sprocket set I could barely make 51 ish mile per hour @ 4000 rpm in 6th gear - on level ground, 60 mph down hill and as low as 28 mph up hill in 3rd gear. Ask me how that feels in a 70 mph speed zone?

About 4 separate times I stopped to let the bike chill out some (there was no indication engine temps were an issue) and at one point I added a half a pint or less of oil just in case lubricity was an issue. All along I suspected dirty or compromised fuel lines or filter, but there was not much to do about it and she was still moving. Stopping seemed to help some.

I took the route through Benton to Mammoth and at the least there were very few cars along the way. I managed a stop at the local Vons for some beer & grub and it was the only time on this trip I felt concerned about leaving my bike/kit unattended, but all was intact.

My wife & sister in law are coming up for a short relax and I will catch a ride back where I can get my hands on a truck & trailer. I plan to give her a good looking over and see what I can determine on my own, but I’ve already got a service slot at a KTM shop.

I will conduct a fender to fender inspection and post a Sit Rep of broken & damaged parts / kit.

Also, I will report back once I have definitive results on the engine issue and what course I will take next.

Last, when I make it back to New Hampshire I’ll post a final reflection and close this ride report as well as a photo grande finale.

Please, fire away with questions, comments, observations, personal anecdotes and whatever comes to mind and I’ll do my best to respond.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every minute of every mile and everyone of the fine folks I’ve encountered along the way. This may well be the best ride of my life so far. I’m not sure if it’s finished or just in limbo. I’ll know soon,

Ikeya-Seki, out.

0F52213D-61CB-454B-9775-1A7957580FB2.jpeg
  11. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rides and reports like this one seem to be waning (or is it just me?) and I have thoroughly enjoyed this one. Great narrative, photos, to the point yet painting a picture for novices and experienced alike. Having covered the TAT (2019) then WABDR, IDBDR (2020) and MABDR this year, your RR was much of a reunion experience for me. Keeping up a RR in the midst of the fatigue, maintenance, food and shelter hunts is a labor of love that I wonder how many truly appreciate. Really hoping for good outcome for Katy M. and yourself. 914902EA-0079-41C2-B8B9-FD4ABD716CB3.jpeg
  12. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm by no means a ktm guy but i wonder of the fuel pump was damaged by running it so low on fuel?

Just a thought, I hope you are able to easily fix your bike and continue your epic ride. I too have really enjoyed your report!

Jonathan
  13. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience it doesn't take much to kill a stock KTM fuel pump. I'd be checking the fuel pressure as my first suspect...
    DragonJoe likes this.
  14. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Thanks DragonJoe, I appreciate the feedback. Glad you had some memory echoes from your own rides & that you got the MABDR in this summer. Fantastic.
    BrockEvan likes this.
  15. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    No doubt, docwyte & svo-jon that something us up with fuel delivery. Could be faulty for dirty. I aim to have a closer look once I get it to my buddy’s place where there is a place to work on it & tools. I’ve got a KTM shop lined up as well so I should know something before too long.

I’ll be tacking on a few posts before this RR closes out. I’m still at least 3000 miles from home.

Cheers
    snglfin, chudzikb and GringoRider like this.
  16. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Sit Rep: Katy M went in for repairs yesterday. I expect to know more by COB today. Both fork seals are leaking. Most likely form the bull dust.

I’m hoping to be in motion soon.

Ikeya-Seki, out.
    snglfin, Muscongus, chudzikb and 2 others like this.
  17. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to hearing report. Before replacing seals I use a business card or a Seal Mate between the seal and fork leg. This often solves the issue for me. Good luck!
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  18. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    picked up a Seal Mate & my bike just now. Botha O2 sensors threw codes. It’s running now. Chasing oil & tending to seals tomorrow. BBQ tonight.
    snglfin, disco fred, chudzikb and 5 others like this.
  19. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Sit Rep: Rode the 14 > 405 > 5 to Coronado.

Figuring out next steps. Been a great summer. Don’t want it to end.

E81E8997-F3F8-4E81-8529-BFF482177D00.jpeg
    Shaggie, snglfin, GringoRider and 3 others like this.
  20. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tonopah has a brewery? Last time I was there the town was a small motel and a Macdonalds. That was late 90s active duty working on the test range.
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.