Big Fat TAT Sandwich on a BDR Roll a.k.a. 2021 U.S. Dirty Dirty Ride

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ikeya-Seki, Oct 14, 2020.

1. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    well, i wish i had something more to offer than my best wishes for a successful journey, but there it is... i’m looking forward to following the ride report.

best regards,

johnnyg
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  2. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks for the regards! It's going to be a challenge. Mother Nature and old man Murphy are always lurking, but with a little luck & perseverance, I might get through. Cheers.
    snglfin likes this.
  3. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Thursday, June 10
    T - 25

Like a Bit Torrent

At this stage all this planning, all this hot winded wind up and all the nebulous elements, bright ideas, vague notions, last minute orders, installations, routes, arrangements and preparations are beginning to assemble around me like a bit torrent. All the webbing and buckles, bolts-ons, gear upgrades, zip ties, scouting reports, .gpx files, tools, inspections, recalls, checks-ups, a lil Mohs repair, suspension tuning & sprocket swaps - all of the various elements are coming within arm's reach.

IMG_4880.jpg

The ride is beginning to take shape and I can see it. I can taste it.

From here, the weather, my reluctant body and a shit ton of cicadas are about all I need to factor. I’ve been reading about extreme drought in the west, torrential rain in the south, some flash flooding and a brood of bugs so vast, it’s being picked up on Doppler radar. And I thought the Star Wars dragon flies in Mississippi were rough;
    I can only imagine what busting through a hatch of cicadas might be like - juicy.

My body is in revolt, but I’m trying to pace.

I don’t know about you, but I get pretty jacked up as lift-off draws near. As much as the physical bits are coming tougher, so are the thoughts, emotions and ideas in my head. I am constantly on the move, tweaking and mending, re-arranging and tightening up. The pace is full tilt as I attempt to dot every “i” and cross every “t”. I’m excited, processing at warp speed, laser focused, and randomly shout “atta-boys” into the air.

The reality is, however, I never do - get everything done. I am about to hit that tipping point where I begin to prioritize what won’t be. I’ve put in a garden I won’t be here to harvest. I’ve raked, seeded, mowed & trimmed a lawn that will probably dry up in August. I’ve washed & waxed, changed oils, swapped tires and filters of cars I won’t drive. I’ve left dead trees standing (maybe), wood unpainted and fixtures asleep in their boxes. In the last days, it will people and not stuff that matter. I like to see faces before I go.

In just days the sun will come up and I will ride off still thinking of home, still thinking of what not done, who missed, of what will be waiting. I know too, it will be 3, maybe 4 days for the wooba gooba dust of home to be fully blown off and I can settle into the ride. From then on though I will be in it, living it and everything else will fade. It’s that deep, deep vein of vitality, engagement and demand that I thrive on: experiential bliss. When the only time is now; that is my pocket.

So, as these “ last bits” of planning swirl tightly around my head, I’ll pull down the critical elements and put them in their place. The rest will be stars on the cutting room floor because we have dust to deliver and soon we ride.

Ikeya-Seki, out.
  4. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    YouTube video of the proposed route:

AdamChandler likes this.
  5. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Tuesday, June 15
    T-20

Murphy’s Law is in the House

Murphy takes a lot of bashing, but it kinda does feel good putting the blame on something when things go awry. My driver’s license is set to expire toward the end of my proposed ride so in an effort to nip a problem in the bud, I set up a renewal appointment. It’s been a while, so I had expected to come away with a newly laminated hall pass. Not so, I was issued a temporary with the original arriving by mail in anywhere from 7 to 45 days. My temporary license is valid for 60 days. You can see what is happening here. In my effort to lengthen my driving privileges, I’ve shortened them - at least not without a mail forwarding hassle.

On another front my back is acting up. It’s in total lock-down. Imagine someone pushing a horse shoe into your lower back on either side of the spine and then playing with it. No, better, I feel like I am at the end of the Devil’s pitchfork. Fucker.

And…. what I suspected was an ingrown hair turns out to be Basal Cell carcinoma, which is not life threatening, but it’s looking like I won’t be able to get to a Mohs surgeon before I go. So I will either have to ride back (before I start the MABDR), fly back, find someplace on the road or wait until late October. Fucker.

Oh, and both the first and second sources I went to to purchase a 15T front sprocket still don’t have them in stock and can promise nothing. Good thing I tripped down on that order and have one in hand. So, take that Murphy, fucker.

Ikeya-Seki, out.

...... on a positive note: I can't fuckin' wait to roll!

IMG_4697.jpg
    juno, bilash31 and snglfin like this.
  6. Intimo

Intimo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We go out in the world and take our chances
    Fate is just the weight of circumstances
    That’s the way that lady luck dances
    Roll the bones

Why are we here?
    Because we’re here.
    Roll the bones
    Why does it happen?
    Because it happens.
    Roll the bones...

:::::
    bilash31, Ikeya-Seki and AdamChandler like this.
  7. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
  8. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Not to worry on the Mohs. I had the same issue early this Spring, right before heading out to Death Valley and then Moab. I put this kit together and even though my bad spot was right at the top of my boot, it was fine. The kit took up a small bit of space; no problem! Of course your Dermatologists opinion may vary.....
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  9. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the voice of confidence. I imagine you're results were positive.

I am grateful to get in for a procedure before I leave for this trip. From what I've read, Mohs is highly effective and one stop shopping so I'm expecting solid results. In my case, it's on my face so there's that..... but not where it should be in contact with my helmet. I may need to pluck the stitches out myself, but as of now I'm shoving off in under a fortnight. TBH, I'm having more difficulty with my Zumo XT constantly "syncing" ... oh, and I got a 'lil suspension work. Spinning plates.
    snglfin and juno like this.
  10. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh I am so following this. Sounds like a hell of a trip!
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  11. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Friday, June 25
    T-10

Final Countdown

IMG_4988.jpg
    (my best JJ Gittes impression)

Here we are: the final ten count. All the best plans. Time crunch. Scramble.

The Bike: More to do than expected. First, it turns out it was a good idea to triple down on the 15T front sprocket order as two are still on backorder. From what I can ascertain, the delay has to do with production more so than distribution. If one comes in after, it will go into the Oregon mail box - I have a couple of pre packed west coast kits to be shipped.
    1. Chain & sprocket swap
    2. Extra aft USB to be soldered in place
    3. Fuel tank filter
    4. Suspension upgrade (huge)
    5. Longer kickstand
    6. longer front brake lines
    7. A RAM mount
    8. Oil change
    9. brake pad refresh
    10. fastener/bolt/spoke torque check
    11. Pre order first set of tires - ship to Nashville
    12. Air filter check (pre-oil spare)
    13. 21” tube
    Am I forgetting anything?????

The Route: As of now, the route is as intended. It is fair to say that the moment I roll away from home base, anything can change. Heavy rain, fires, flooding, washouts, extreme heat, and other unforeseen obstacles will almost certainly present and put their own spin on how I make my way. I have only once solid reservation - 5 days on an Oregon beach. Otherwise I stick wth my "fun & flexible" philosophy.

The only niggle with the route is my inept ability to manage Garmin XT. I find it a pain in the ass to have to use Explorer app, Drive app, Base Camp, Explorer Web page, to organize the .gpx files I need for the ride. I got something working, but it’s incomplete and far from ideal. I could use some help in this area.

The Rider: Well, I have to grade myself a solid B in preparations. With all things considered (mainly Covid killing my swim routine), I’ve done an okay job of getting ready. I fell short of my high aspirations, but have lost 20 lbs, maintained solid endurance, built in some strength and stretching, but most importantly, my head is in the game. Where I’ve met extra challenges are the unavoidable forces of gravity and time.

My moving parts are well worn and my back especially. It’s been sending painful signals it is not happy with me - but, in the end, I remind it that I’m the boss.

Next, what I thought was an ingrown hair or a shaving scar that wouldn’t heal, turned out to be a small, but deep Basil Cell carcinoma - a late present from adolescent sun exposure….maybe. I got that cut out this past Tuesday and will have 10 stitches removed next week. Today I got an EKG set up to rule out any malfeasance with my ticker. I anticipate a clear slate, but better safe than sorry. I also managed a slight sprain in my left wrist but have kept it in a wrap and it’s feeling 85% and improving. I was able to wheelie the 500, so it's not that bad.

On the positive side: I am soooooo stoked for this ride. Every time I hop on my bike I am reminded of what I love so much about riding and how fortunate I am to be embarking on a summer long expedition. I’m a lucky fucker in many ways. Riding a motorcycle, to me sometimes, is kinda like riding on outboard motor without the boat. Fun & dangerous. I'll be expanding on this notion on the RR.

Okay folks, that's about it. I will most likely add one more PACK OUT post and then a BON VOYAGE to complete this Covid length planning thread. From there, I will open a bona fide Ride Report and contribute as regularly as possible. I’ll split the post into a top section of Nuts n’ Bolts (just logistics) and a section of narrative observations / reflections so readers can consume as much or as little as desired. I’ll be photo heavy and link to an occasional YouTube post - I am far behind in this area.

Thank you all for reading,

Ikeya-Seki, out
    AdamChandler and snglfin like this.
  12. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    You are ready. I look for your progress as I plan something. That bandage is also what happens when the front wheel stops suddenly and you go over the bars after a brief kiss of the windshield. Too much speed isn't always necessary on a larger bike..except sand..I hate sand. Waiting to see how your gearing works out.
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I can't wait for the next update to this thread. I sat down this evening with our esteemed traveler / keeper of this trip preparation and we had a great conversation. I'm excited to follow along when he sets off in a few days.
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.
  14. Ikeya-Seki

Oddometer:
    Ignition & Lift off

T-0

This was three days ago.....

IMG_5046.jpg

This is today.

IMG_5062.jpg

We have lift off. With all my planning..... I decided rather last minute to swap out the suspension for something beefier and with that came a shit ton of other tweaks - fresh oil, fresh coolant, fresh brake fluids (pads were not available), fresh chain & sprockets, gas tank filter, rally kick stand, longer front brake line, etc. etc. But it's all done and ready to go. I'm starting out at roughly 70lbs of kit and expect that to reduce as I go. The bike feels balanced and poised. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

With a little luck (it's rainy) I will be fishing in the Carrabassett Valley later today and at the north end of the NEBDR sometime tomorrow morning.

This ends this trip planning thread. I will begin a Ride Report soon.

Cheers,

Ikeya-Seki, out

p.s. Thanks to Adam Chandler for inviting me to his podcast, Spinning Spokes.
    Xjhammer and AdamChandler like this.
  15. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Ikeya-Seki likes this.