Big Four Join Forces To Work On Swappable Battery Technology

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by liberpolly, Apr 8, 2019.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Vertical C likes this.
  2. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's only for tiddlers.

Meanwhile, deliveries have already started for 350 kW ultra-fast charging stations. They can refill at a rate of 215 miles in 10 minutes. They use the CCS standard, which was always to go up to 350 kW. And they also have a 475 kW version in testing.

There are no vehicles available yet that can charge at that rate. But the Porsche Taycan will (to be released this year), and more will follow. The chargers will be ready, and more are slated for installation. (Tritium is air-shipping them to keep up to demand.)

Rapid charging makes much more sense than swappable batteries, especially for performance EMs that are more demanding packaging-wise. So I think if this Japanese consortium gets any traction, it won't get any farther than the scooter set. In urban settings it does make sense to make batteries easily removable, so you can bring them into your apartment to charge overnight. (No one's going to lug 14.4 kWh of Zero SR battery upstairs on a daily basis, even if it was removable. That's likely done only rarely with the FX-style 3.6 kWh modules at 42 lbs each.) That removability feature is what gets you halfway to swappable, and is the only reason swappability has a prayer for use in city bikes.

Ultra-fast charging will already be preferred before they can get swappable batteries in performance EMs. The other side of that is that the "major" EM manufacturers are tiny, and may not have the engineering horsepower to bring their battery packs up to speed to keep up with charging advances as quickly as the rest of the EV industry can. I would hope it would be seen as an imperative, and get the attention it needs.

As for the majors and their battery-swappable city bikes, the same cells that can withstand ultra-fast charging can be used in scooters too. So if the swap standard happens it will only be relevant for a few years. Scooters will come out with batteries that can use the existing ultra-fast infrastructure, which will be much cheaper than maintaining and expanding swap stations. So they'll disappear.

Anyone buying a Japanese scooter or city bike using that standard needs to make sure it'll be usable when the swap stations go away. I'm betting the life of the vehicle will be longer than that of the standard or swap station availability.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ar-chargers-waiting-for-batteries-to-catch-up
  3. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike without the battery surely won't cost much The money is in the battery

Big news them cooperating
  4. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    I have swappable batteries in my KTM Freeride e (see my other post here).

I think swappable battries can be a soloution for some years before the infrastructure for fast charging is in place.
  5. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless(/until?) batteries of whatever size can charge happily at 10-20C, battery swapping sure seems a reasonable approach....
  6. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Battery wholesale prices have dropped almost 90% in price for the kWh in the last ten years. Now the money is elsewhere.