Big Himalayan in works?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cyclopathic, Dec 26, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big Himalayan brother in works?
    https://indianautosblog.com/2017/11/royal-enfield-himalayan-650-iab-rendering-290745
    [​IMG]
    brstar, diabolik37, GAS GUY and 2 others like this.
  2. RobbK

RobbK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like it.
  3. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can piss off the silly number plate holder and add decent luggage and if Guzzi don't actually make anything worthwhile by the time I'm too decrepit for the Stelvio I'll be all over it like a rash.

Pete
    HarveyMushman likes this.
  4. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    The V85 is coming.....
    Cal, See-Double-You and JustKip like this.
  5. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    It will happen... someday.
  6. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll believe it when I see it Doug. It'll also have to offer a lot more to justify its no doubt considerably higher price. Sorry, I just don't believe anything that Piaggio say.
  7. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh good! I was initially excited about the Himalaya, until they published the spec sheet. As-is, it don't compete with a DRz400
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope.

It is a better TW200, cheaper/lower spec desert sled, 3rd world RTW bike. Specs are underwhelming.. but EFI, clearance, low seat at promised $4.5k?
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  9. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    and it'll run on 77 octane fuel
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    9.5:1 compression ratio is too high for 77.
  11. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Current Himalayan thumper isn't available in US yet, but it supposedly coming soon at $4.5 price point. I would consider one as disposable bike to ride to Ushuaia and sell it to buy flight ticket home.. not more. If twin is offered it would target people who buy Ural, Scrambler, Desert Sled, etc neo-retro styled bikes. Old guard, perhaps hipsters guys like in pic below:
    [​IMG]
    shinyribs and Richarde1605 like this.
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    It will sell to people who just aren't into the whole wasteful overweight overcomplicated overexpensive and shackled to the dealer for every service type of ownership experience.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I been thinking on this whole bigger engine thing for a long time but aint said nothing because usable info to decipher when it might happen and how it could go down has been hard to find and scarce as hens teeth.

From moto journalist Alan Cathcarts interview with Sid Lal for Motorcycle Magazine this past May:

"- back to your question about higher capacity, we have selected which models we will be making bigger and more powerful versions of than we have today, and the Himalayan is one of those –" ( also mentioned in IAB , AMCN and other sources)

Now here's where it gets even more tricky for speculating. Is the bigger engine going to be the twin ? or the LS single with a bigger bore ?

With a twin the bike is going to gain some weight and some cost along with the added torque and horsepower.

With a single punched out to 86mm that would make it a 500 square motor with a power output right smack dab in the middle between the 410 and 650. 500's a "next step up" increase kind of thing. 500 single ? only two parts and a map for the ECU required and the absolute minimum impact on production logistics. The twin would be two steps up and some additional logistical gymnastics.

Single ? twin ?

Both ?
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    "Alan Cathcart speaks to Royal Enfield CEO Siddhartha Lal

Royal Enfield on the new 650 twins and the future"
    Two months ago https://www.motorcycle-magazine.com/royal-enfield-boss-new-650-twins-future/

Cathcart "Will you make a larger capacity version of the Himalayan engine, which is an all-new OHC design?"
    Lal "There’s no current plan for that, but who knows what happens later?! But right now we don’t plan to make a larger capacity Himalayan."

This could mean the orders for the twin cylinder Interceptor and Continental GT are bigger than expected and they don't want to divert the engines slated for those.
    The Interceptor and Continental GT use the same chassis as the 535cc single cylinder GT It is way overbuilt for the power for the power the single makes. The single cylinder GT hasn't sold well at all. They might be wanting to earn the money back they spent on R&D and tooling up for it.

This could also mean they want to see how the Himalayan does over here first as a single before figuring out the details of stuffing the Bosch EFI into the Himalayan. Himalayan 410 is outfitted with the same Keihin EFI hardware as the 500 cc Classic.

FWIW the cylinder sleeve of the 410 is 4.5 mm thick. Enough meat to bore it to 441cc if I'm doing the math right.

I still think it will happen but the question is when ?
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  16. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over 90% of Enfield bikes are bought in India, IMO they will focus there first for any model. The twin seems to be a response to Harley, and others like BMW making entry level bikes in Asia.
    I am more than happy with my reh, there were other options if I wanted a twin, or a bigger single.

Some people just don't want hyperblah bikes with acronyms plasted all over them... weird huh?

:-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't say anything about that except that you need 30-35hp min for US freeways. Himalayan has low end torque so it would do fine on secondary roads and around town but 26hp would be either barely enough or not enough at higher speeds. Bigger bore and higher RPMs could get it there for sure.

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I hear what you're saying. The singles torque peaks at 60 mph and its horsepower peaks at 86. It'll hold 70 mph all day long without complaint. Good enough for most folks but certainly not all. Guys who cruise the freeways at 90+ mph will need to either mod the engine, wait for the twin or pick a different bike.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is not that; some places in US of A have 75, 80 and even 85 MPH speed limit with traffic going at least +5 over. Add altitude, grade, side bags, etc. Not really a problem if you have time to avoid those places but not really go anywhere bike if you have to.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Doing 90+ mph in those places is daring and adventurous but those places are only a small decimal of a percentage of the whole USA. People who have to have that type of adventure either have a second bike for the rest of the USA or are comfortable giving up jeep trail capability for triple digit speeds in those places. Either way more power to 'em. It's their ride
    Richarde1605 likes this.