Big Himalayan in works?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cyclopathic, Dec 26, 2017.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Screw the freeway!

There is zero Adventure to be had on a freeway. It's the farthest place from Adventure and should be one of the lowest reasons to buy an Adventure bike.

You can't say you're into Adventure riding and rate highly freeway capable as a top need. Sorry, you're just a slabbing, commuting street rider. Even if you ride paved only there is always a side road alternative.

Honda makes nice Goldwings if you need to focus on the freeway.

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything. "
    Charles Kuralt
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not if I can help it. But with daytime job, limited vacation, etc.. plus it is not interstates only US2 has 75 limit in Montana IIRC. And 35mph headwind makes it even more so crossing planes.

That aside I am not on the bandwagon with "if it only had 20hp more and was 30lbs less" just pointing out the reality of our marketplace. Show me road bike with less than 30hp which sold in big numbers in US in last 3-4 decades.. maybe Ninja 250 but even that one was marketed at 31.
    The_Precious_Juice and eakins like this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ok, I was getting worried about you.
    First you were maybe going all Ashman and now advocating for the Interstate.
    I even deleted so as not to stir the pot any more.
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The Himalayan will do 75. The 75 mph sign on US2 is permission to go that that fast not a commandment to do it. I dunno about the rest of the riding world but when I'm in MT I slow down a little to soak all in.

Honda sold one hundred million Cubs. Ninja 250 might be making 31 hp .....and 16 ft lb torque. Neither one are my choice of ride but they are for millions of others. Who are we to begrudge them ?
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  5. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many good points fellow inmates.
    Though I have bikes capable of more than double the national speed limit, I, in my dotage have been getting less enjoyment riding them at less than half that, no doubting that having that extra makes eating big miles is easier with cubes, but there is a certain satisfaction in getting the best from 'limited' resources.
    I don't care what you ride, I care, that you ride!!!
    I like many different machines, and appreciate the ones that satisfy the intended use, have you seen the roads in India? And with their population growth this means this is actually a first bike for many thousands of riders, even though I am not a new rider, to me it fits the bill.

:-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  6. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the US market will not have many sub 30hp roadbikes in the rankings, but the Himma is not a roadbike, and not designed for the US market. The 250 you mentioned has half the torque, so has to rev it's tits off to make that meagre 30hp claim. Theoretical bench racing is fun, but the feel when riding is the only real test.
    A mate has an S1000RR and an R1, we swapped bikes and he was impressed with Himma, and that was only on tar, the S is probably the polar opposite of the Himma, and at least four times the price. So the comparison is easy, he still wants fast roadbikes, I look at other options for the quiver :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eastern Montana is pretty boring especially going east but at least you are more likely to get tail wind. Going west my 650 was lucky to get 27-29 MPG, never seen anything that bad; winds make all the difference.

Not me for sure. Honda sold millions of Cubs? Not in USA. I could pick Cub for really "quit job" budget trip; the same way some pick Ruckus or Vespa. But then Himalayan and Versys X would be better alternatives, wouldn't they?

It is interesting discussion if bigger more powerful Himalayan is needed. Suppose if Royal Enfield didn't feel it's necessary and it will sell they would not consider one, right?
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  8. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Unlike you lucky folks who have the majestic rockies in your back yard, some of us poor bastards have to slab it to get out there where the adventure starts.

Amen! 5 Days of boredom interrupted only by stupid drivers.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is some really good riding on East Coast.. problem is there is a Kansas BTW us and the Rockies.

I suppose there would have been less complaining if there were more boring BDR/TAT tracks across the plains.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Research indicates the bigger engine Himalayan will be powered by the 650 twin not a bored out single.
    Not enough info yet to support an educated guess as to when but 2020 is plausible.

I'm calling first place in line right meow.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I've traveled across the country a few times and there were plenty of secondary roads to enjoy. Maybe I lost an hour per day but it was worth it.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to be retired.

Personally hate those 600-800mi slab days but still.. so what is your favorite route through Kansas? ;)
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Oh man I can't imagine that many miles of Interstate slab in 1 day. Sounds painfull, but I guess if you have no choice and you feel it's worth it.

Not retired (I wish but still hustling), just made a life choice many many moons to move to Colorado from the North East. Friends & family thought I was crazy but I pushed through all the noise and did it.

Sandhills in Nebraska are my preferred but have ridden roads south of 80 too.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll check it out. I am leaning in the same direction just need to cut the cost and find alternative ways of funding.

Speaking of slabbing IMHO someone has to talk sense into BDR guys it is great that they are coming to east coast with MABDR but when they finished with that they should come and do some East-West routes to connect. TAT is nice but depending on conditions may not be for bigger bikes.

Someone told me you can cross Kansas on dirt roads only.. I had looked many years ago at Spanish Trail (from St Augustine to San Diego) along US92. There are gotta be some old abandoned roads from pioneer era, don't you think?

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
    JustKip likes this.
  15. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are in a hurry, but want to avoid Interstates: US36
    eakins and Mobiker like this.
  16. Motorace

Motorace Black and Round pays the bills.

Oddometer:
  17. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Cycle World has an article on the Himalayan (link).
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  18. wandererjim5

wandererjim5 CornerGrinner

Oddometer:
    I live in Kalgoorlie you have described what's required out here. Plus cheap enough not to worry about warranty therefore you must service yourself / modify oneself !
    Richarde1605 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  19. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    When I went out west on the MIGHTY DR in mid May of 2014, I got lucky.

Southern Iowa was actually fun and hilly.

Weather was great through South Dakota. Barely any head wind.

___
    When I pushed back east, I had a nice tail wind in eastern MT and ND.
    I took a few scenic routes along the way to mix things up.

____
    I'm not sure if RE wants to put the R and D into a 650 twin.
    Their Himalayan is their ADV Bike. Anglo Saxon folk are not their key demographic for the Himalayan.

The twin bike would not sell well in North America, South Africa, Australia. 470lbs and like 48hp. Non starter in those market.
    Even if she was $6,999-$7,999.

They would be better off with a 800cc thumper. :D
    45hp
    53lbs of torque.
    450lbs
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Too late man the R&D is already done. With fuel and standard ABS that the Continental GT 535 single don't have the twin GT calcs out to 465. But remember that's with twice as much EFI twice as many mufflers and two wheel ABS.

Shoving the twin into the non ABS Himalayan frame with a two into one should make it weigh like 12-25 pounds more than it does now.
    47 horse in a sub 430 pound bike aint bad.