Big Himalayan in works?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by cyclopathic, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  2. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that is all I really need to hear to keep it in the running. 99% of the time I am on country roads but even country roads these days are too fast.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  3. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not being defensive, I am being objective. Numbers tell a comparative story, as does actual experience.
    The himma is greater than the sum of the numbers and no amount of talking numbers can create the ride experience.
    My mate on his s1000rr wanted a go so we swapped bikes on a 200km ride, he didn't mention the lack of power just the braided lines, cool dash, good handling and suspension and other rather positive things. Basically he rode it for what it is, and made objective comments.
    :-)

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I appreciate that the real world isn't paper. That's why I want to know what it is like from an owners perspective and that's why I ask them to compare it to a bike most of us are more familiar with. Let's face it, the Himalayan is extremely rare. So if you tell me it's as slow as a Grom I am extremely worried but if it can hold its own against a KLR for regular riding I know I need to look deeper.

I need to find the next bike I can fall in love with for no good reason.
    Eatmore Mudd and Richarde1605 like this.
  5. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My himma managed to average mid 90km/h for over 200km on county roads climbing the coastal range, many corners posted at 35, and 45, and quite a few small towns which hurt average speeds, obviously snowy did over 110 a good proportion of the time, while still basically doubling the posted corners . . .
    As far as headwinds, I ride slower even on 1000cc 100hp machines as both the fuel economy and enjoyment go to shit.
    Peace

canoeguy likes this.
  6. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an xr4 that I was building up as a back road tourer, but issues with the wheels I ordered from the states lead me to buy my third k100rs, then the himma arrived here in oz. I bought one new sight unseen a bus and train journey 300km away. All ideas of the xr shelved, the himma does everything better except jumps. It is smooth, and been seat deep in crossings.
    A well behaved friendly puppy :-)

Eatmore Mudd and canoeguy like this.
  7. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    On my demo ride, I had her in top gear at 50mph and would slowly go wot and she would climb to 70mph.
    Faster than most sedan cages on the road. I use the term functional. Indeed, the bike is at Max torque output when you start out so there os some good acceleration. Some vibes start after 60mph, but none in the pegs. Some tingle in the handle bars and seat.

I did not go over 72mph. It was already speeding in a 55mph speed zone.

So, in your region (I just moved from Abingdon) she will easily pass 50% of the cages on the country roads that are around 45-55mph. But you have to be kind of focused and plan it out. Once the engine gets broken in, you can use up all of your rpms in 4th and pass cages at slower speeds.

The engine has like 38 miles on her. I'd imagine she would get even more smooth.

____
    I think RE can take the Ducati approach and use the 650cc for lots of stuff. A desert sled with dual rear shocks would be nice. With a wind shield.
    Eatmore Mudd and Richarde1605 like this.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Yes. All day long. No bull shit.
  9. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Well lets see...The power curve is real flat and wide. Other bikes in the 300-400 cc class make higher peak HP but they are down on torque and they don't make enough power to run a dyno until 3,000rpm. Himmas power curve is fat and usable. Way fatter and wider than my XT350. HP peaks at 6,500 and TQ peaks at 4,250 its a long stroke so it makes usable propulsion at any rpm from idle on up. Chug up a hill at 1/8 throttle in 1st gear ? yah man we do that every single weekend. Beat cars for the hole shot at intersections ? at leas once a day on my commute. Glide along at 70 ? for seven miles on the way to work. Compared to say..a R1200T it's a glacier. Compared to the average cage on the road it's a slingshot. Liter+ bikes can smoke most super cars.

If you mean Himalayans are rare here in the states then yah your dead on man.

Enfield makes 900,000 bikes a year and Himalayn has been in production and sale for 2.5 years in India. Gotta be a least a couple hundred thousand on the road there by now. No one has seized a piston or blown a motor yet so there is that.

Crap ! forgot to mention that I'm getting 74-76 mpg riding like this with panniers and work stuff.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can 'smoke' cars on my pushbike, the himma has more than adequate punch, add nimble handling, it's a winner :-)

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah but you didn't have any load and it isn't east coast it's not that populated. Posted corner speeds in BC is a joke; you can usually do whatever they posted+10 in mph not kmh.

The headwind I ran into was on Crownest coming from Ft McLeod and it was brutal. Of cause having side cases help.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  12. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was east coast of my country, the most populated part by the way, and a long way from where my cam am mx6 came from, and the himma is quite comfortable doubling the posted speeds. Having said that my treadly can do that also in the right conditions, but as I said I ride slower into the wind (the law of diminishing returns).
    :-)

13. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a very long test ride on a BS3 (carburetted) Himalayan when they came to Australia 12 months or so ago. I had heard about the lack of power and all that but as I was doing 100 kph (60mph) down the freeway on the test bike with more in reservse there did not seem to be much power lacking to me. Riding in non freeway situations with the bike the power actually seemed to match the dynamics of the bike fairly well. Was it like my Tiger 800? No way not even close. Was it like the 14hp on my daughters Suzuki TU250? Nope, noticeably more.
    To me as I said the power matches the dynamics of the bike. This is not a bike where as an owner you will want to be in a hurry to get anywhere. You cannot take on the sports bikes in the twisties neither the handling nor the brakes would allow that anyway. You cannot cruise all day on the autobarn, not enough handling, power or brakes. What you can do with this bike, and why I am waiting for the FI ABS version to arrive here is have a reasonably light weight and quirte comfortable bike that encourages a slower more stress free riding experience.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Good feedback.

For my needs, I do not need anymore power than this 411cc thumper.

The 650cc twin ADV bike would be like a grand touring MC for me.

__
    Posting of the laws of dimining returns, I think 411cc is the sweet spot.
    She is already 410lbs with fulp battle rattle.

A 650cc thumper would be like 450lbs, easy. Most likely ABS and another disc up fromt And maybe 35hp or so. 40 tops.
    More buzzy too.
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Punching out the LS 410 to 500 would only adda couple bucks to the cost, wouldn't add any weight and would bump up the tq and hp by 5 easy. With that on tap and assuming since the LS single and 650 twin share so much of the same architecture, bumping up the front sprocket by one tooth and shoveling in the six speed gearset of the twin could be possible.
    Crunching the published numbers theres a 20 pound difference between the Continental GT 535 single and the Conti GT 650 twin. How much weight ABS will add to the CGT we can extrapolate later but right now...stuffing the 650 twin into a Himalayan should add the same amount of weight. And broaden its market appeal. And divert engines from the production of the Interceptor which looks like a sales winner itself.

Food for thought.
    cyclopathic and Richarde1605 like this.
  16. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why would you want another disc up front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
  18. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Stopping power

Street bike 650 will be 450lbs easy. Maybe 460lbs.
    ADV battle rattle puts the bike up to DL650XT weight.
    Rider will be havier than the Hima. Hell, maybe too up. Plus gear if solo. Higher top speed than Hima.
    Royal Enfield is not like Harley. The 650 Hima will not be a crusiser.
    Lastly, the Hima Single front disc is soft to lots of riders. Granted, I liked it.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    650 twin GT weighs 20 pounds more than 535 single GT. Only difference is the twin and what goes with it , all the rest is the same.

So 650 win Himalayan should only weigh 20 pounds more than single Himalyan.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Do you have a spec sheet?

For the new twins?

The G650GS Sertao was 421lbs and the F800GS was like 456lbs.
    30+lbs separation.

___
    The G310GS is pretty stout at 374lbs or so. Just 2.9 gallons. But ABS.
    Hima 411cc would be under 400lbs, slick.

___
    I would guess 450lbs,give or take 10lbs for the 650cctwins from Royal Enfield.