Big Hole In The Ground

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Andrewmc, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey look! It's a big hole in the ground! Almost like they're building something...

For those of you that don't frequent our Facebook page, construction began last week on the next generation of The Motorcycle Shop!

Cruise by 7300 Old Seward to check it out (if you're into holes in the ground).

Andrew

[​IMG]
  2. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, so THAT was thg BIG NEWS!! Your expanding:clap Congrats:D
  3. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jeff!

It will be quite the expansion too; service will be about the size of the whole current shop, as will parts, and sales will be 8000 square feet compared to our current 1300 :evil (I'm most happy about that part obviously).
  4. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Does a bigger shop mean more techs?
  5. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bigger hole means more space to bury the hanger queens?
  6. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    Bigger shop means more everything.
  7. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does bigger mean that you actually get involved with the people who make the sport work? I actually started to believe in you and your chit until I found out that the D2D was taken off the list for swag because apparently we are not organized enough. The Dawson City Fire Fighters cooked 235 steak dinners and the humane society likely took care of a huge part of their annual budget with beer and wine sales. When was the last event in Anchorage that hosted in excess of 200 plus bikes for a two day event? We would have had 300 if it were not for the road conditions on the Top of the World.
    Bigger is not always better if it is only in your own head and you have lost a huge supporter even if you did not know it existed!
    Good luck, the world is both smaller and larger than one actually really appreciates!
    Tire changes for a bottle of good red wine and the whole world of riders knows about it and in two years you will be able to ride to the Arctic Ocean and drive your bike into the water!
  8. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Hopefully your hole in the ground goes better than my hole in the ground, haven't had any work with all the rain on our hose for almost 3 weeks.:cry
  9. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    If you would like to PM me about our reasons for not sending anything this year you're more than welcome.
  10. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Andrew it would be interesting to everyone what your response to dick would be! It was noticed by a lot of people that tms wasn't involved this year. If their is a legitimate reason everyone should hear it. I think everyone would also understand. Congrats on the ground breaking.
  11. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did anyone else click on this thread expecting to see a sinkhole on the Dalton?

This is way better! Congrats!
  12. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    I didn't want to post this because it's not a simple answer. I also know no one here likes PR :topes but here it goes:

There are a lot of reasons we were not involved this year. A big reason we decided against it this year was the auction that was held two years ago. We donated what came out to about $3,000 (edit: $4,000) worth of parts, apparel and other goodies to be raffled off, and instead they were sold to the highest bidder without anyone telling us that would be done. If we had been approached about donating to an auction and if we had been told where the proceeds were going, it would have been a different story. Instead, we found out through ADVrider that the things we donated were sold, and when we tried to find out where the money actually went we never received a solid answer. I'm still not exactly sure where that money went (but I haven't asked for a long time).

On top of that, the same year we had multiple people ask why we did not donate, or even better, insult us for "not supporting the community." I was flabberghasted because Brendon and I personally picked out what would be sent, and I knew how much we contributed. I don't know what other businesses donated, but I feel like we we're probably at or near the top. We also had people chastise US for auctioning off swag instead of giving it away. :huh

Last year, we didn't donate as much because of this, but still sent off about $250 worth of stuff. Again, we had people jumping down our throats because we "barely donated anything."

How is that encouraging for us to donate again? Now, this year, we're being called out for not donating (at least it's fair this time) when for the past (maybe 10?) years we've donated tons of stuff to an event that we fully support.

Let me be clear: I WANT to donate to D2D, and we had a very long discussion about it this year. The times I've been to Dawson have been some of the best in my life, and I understand that D2D is an important event for the town and the ADVrider community. That said, we can't give thousands of dollars to an event, when at the end of it people still come tell me how much of an asshole I am for not supporting it enough.

If we see throughout the next year that things will be different and that D2D is an event we can back and see positive results from, I give my word that we will donate. Being called out for not giving support does not help, though.
    /rant

If anyone has any more questions they can PM me.

Andrew
  13. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Wow, this IS interesting.

I didn't know the particulars either but was wondering.

Thanks for some clarification, Mark H.
  14. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    It was also brought to my attention that we were even publicly chastised at the dinner for not donating?

Come on, guys.
  15. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    I'm working with Andrew to resolve this and make it a better all around situation for everybody! :freaky

Its not being ignored I assure everyone. :deal Were learning as we go here and trying to make it better each year.
  16. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Thanks TMan.
    I also will be contacting Andrew and Brendon at TMS.
    This forum is not the place to carry on a pissing match.
    Cooler heads will prevail!
    Fite
  17. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Hey Andrew-

For the past two years the Counter Steering Committee has designated me as the official swag beggar. I've been talking to Brendon and this is the first time I've heard what you had to say.

I'll tell you what. I'll come down to talk to both of you about plans for D2D next year and I'll even buy you guys lunch. This thread is about big plans for TMS and success in the future.

Now, just how big is that hole? Can Hacky ride it?

Roger
  18. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok I'll never go to D2D again.
  19. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Roger, the hole is definitely big enough for Hacky. I was actually hoping to get a picture of some shenanigans involving him in our new dirt pit...
  20. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for filling us in on tms concerns. I'm sure that was tough to post but I think it benefits everyone to know why you guys opted out this year. Again congrats on the ground breaking.