Big Hole In The Ground

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Andrewmc, Jun 25, 2014.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, if you want to have clean underwear, you're gonna have to buy one... and a damn good one at that.
  2. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, you beat me to it! At least with the Versys you have that nice cage of headers protecting the engine. :evil I'd rather have a hole in a header than my oil filter. Sounds better that way.
  3. AlaskaSolstice

AlaskaSolstice Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not often I can get out for a ride on Halloween, so with the day off today I took advantage of it. My buddy and I stopped by your new place to check it out. I got off and looked around a bit but my buddy wouldn't get off the bike:
    [​IMG]
  4. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    All four walls are almost up! Should be done with the exterior base today, then on to the external details and interior!

[​IMG]
  5. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    Getting closer!!!

Here are a few photos we took during a walk-through today:

Outside, the new facades are getting the finishing touches

[​IMG]

Looking east from the office area into the 7,500 square foot show room.

[​IMG]

At the top of the stairs looking Southwest into the 3,750 square foot parts department

[​IMG]

Looking East over the railing from the parts mezzanine to the sales floor. All of the pillars are 25 feet apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking Southwest from the stairs to the 3,750 square foot service department

[​IMG]

Looking East in our new warehouse (bottom floor)

[​IMG]
  6. SEWERMAN

SEWERMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you should put some synthetic ice in there... Give customers someway to kill time and lower their blood sugar levels after all the coffee and doughnuts. Loser pays the bill.
  7. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    We were thinking a go-kart or mini bike track in the warehouse. It would go nicely with the trials course along side the building!
  8. Mark907

Mark907 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just plug in a copy of the original " On Any Sunday" & everything will work out! :1drink
    <script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.1/jquery.min.js" name="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.1/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
  9. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    Speaking of which, we're working with redbull and KTM to hopefully get a showing of the new one in Anchorage this winter. Stay tuned.....
  10. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    On Any Sunday the Next Chapter is excellent. Good luck the new digs. Miss ya'll down here.
  11. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Brad! How's life in the real world? :D
  12. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually pretty good. I just have to be a little more careful cause I don't collect a pay check with a broken leg.

Before this thread goes off topic. I want to thank the guys in the shop for great deal on the great bike and taking good care of here. I didn't realize how good the service there was till I got here. I did a pretty intense off road ride two weeks ago up to Crown King. Climbed about 5000 feet in 10 miles and crossed rocky creek crossings.

Sheared 3 of the 4 rubber sump guard mount thingies, bent the front mount beyond use, scratched they hell out of the Altrider engine bars, and ripped the fender extender off in under 4 hours. But the Bad Ass little Tiger kept going.

Loving the Tiger. Building a Gen I KLR also.
  13. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're doing well! Hope to see you at the new shop sometime soon!

Andrew
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    IIRC Don got here in '82 or so and the shop seemed to grow from something that had belonged in part to Squeaks... but that period is a little foggy for me.

What's the thumbnail history of TMS and what's the thumbnail direction from here?
  15. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't remember Squeeks at TMS. He had the Kawi shop in the 70's and up until a year or two ago was working for Cort selling Yammies.

TMS the dark days......Started in Doug Gallant's parents garage called Dirty Rider.

Moved into the front shop at Terry's Parts and Supplies (now the site of Sullivan Arena)

Built the first shop on Potter-now the warehouse building. And the rest, as they say is history.

How close am I to correct Brendon?
  16. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

I recall Squeaks from his old shop out by Carpentiers and if I remember right he was peddling kwaks. I assumed that he sold his shop to Don but don't actually know. If Brendan says TMS was peddling BM's in the 70's though... I just don't recall that part. I also don't recall ever meeting Don's partner but probably have as I picked up a new K100RS there in 84/85 or so.
  18. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Nah, it's like Akrider said. AFAIK Doug Gallant started the shop from scratch on his own in the first place. I don't know if he had any partners at the time. First I knew of Doug's shop was in the '70s when it was down by/attached to Terry W's shop at the present location of the Sullivan Arena & was never near Carpentiers.
  19. Tom S

Oddometer:
  20. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    I'll let Brendon get more detailed but this is pretty much correct. As for the future, the number one goal is to give our customers the best experience possible, no matter what they need. We have goals in all three departments that will help with this. For one thing we are working on a service scheduling system that should reduce wait times drastically (especially for routine maintenance), and connect the right technician with the right job. It will be some time before we know for sure if it is working the way we want, but we're very hopeful.

In parts we are working on utilizing a system that keeps track of parts that customers ask for but that we don't have in stock. This means that if no one has asked for Part X for two years, but then we see a couple of people special order it in a given period, we can look into stocking them for the future. We have access to over 1,000,000 individual parts, so we're making it a science to determine what we will stock along side our gut feelings.

In sales, we already sell more motorcycles than any other shop in the state, and more than many dealers on the west coast. We've done a lot of work this year to smooth out the purchasing process, and we will be looking to do that even further. A big thing we are working on is demo rides. We currently are planning to have about a dozen demo bikes that represent what customers ask to ride the most, and we are looking into supporting more. The main problem is insurance, and so far our company has been reluctant to provide us coverage on that front.

We also want to encourage people to just come hang out. We've found that so many people have been trained by dealerships that they're unwelcome unless they're buying something, and we just don't feel that this is true. We're looking to treat people right, no matter what they ride or need, and business will follow.

Our main goal is to build a relationship the the motorcycle community so that no matter what they ride, when they need something they will think, "The Motorcycle Shop", and we plan on doing that a lot of ways. The things I listed are just a couple of examples out of years of ideas and plans, and there will be many, many more changes as well.

With that said, if you have an idea, tell us! PM Brendon or I, come by the shop, call or email us, and tell us what YOU want to see. We are crowdsourcing ideas almost as much as we're coming up with our own, and with your help we can make the shop what we all really want to see.