1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Big IBA Great Lakes 100 Ride

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by IBAJIM, Nov 25, 2019.

1. IBAJIM

IBAJIM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of doing another IBA Great Lakes 100 ride in 2020 - ride around all 5 Great Lakes in < 100 hours. I came up with a new route, and it's not the shortest route possible.

The shortest route possible is about 2,450 miles. This route is about 2,742 miles.

I'm thinking of doing it in late July or August.

EDIT : Meet just north of the Middlebury, Indiana ITR Exit @ 10:30 am ( EST) on Wednesday July 15th at the Gallop's Marathon. Or meet the other Riders anywhere along the route.

So, I'm hoping if I can get 8 or more other Riders to do this ride, I can submit the ride to the IBA as a "group" ride and I can do the paperwork for everyone.

You can start anywhere along the route, but you must end the ride at the same location as you started.

Anyone interested ??

See: Big Great Lakes 100 ( hit you "Reload" or "Refresh" button to see the latest changes )
    Bigbob1 and spoonyfork like this.
  2. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:

Interested? YES! Though there is a lot of family time red tape that I'd have to consider. But if you NEED 8 people, I can use that as an altruistic argument... "Honey, the guys are depending on me to go!"
    1oldsickle, IBAJIM and Bigbob1 like this.
  3. 93mph

93mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve done an SS1000 before but am wondering what a typical schedule is for a ride like this (start, stop, rest, etc).
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very interested in this ride if the timing works out.

@93mph click on the link at the bottom of IBAJIM's post and you will find the route.
    1oldsickle and varnerju like this.
  5. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    93 : Actually, overall, I think it's an easier ride than a SS1K.

Start every morning about 6:30-7:00 am and ride until about 10 pm. Have a quick lunch & dinner most days and a sit-down lunch on a few days.

So, plenty of time to get a good nights rest each day of the ride.

It's a great ride if the weather cooperates. But bring good rain gear. This year we rode about 350 miles in the rain one day and it got cold at times. If we do it in July or August and it rains, it should at least be warmer than it was this year in September way up north in Ontario. We went inland instead of doing the north shore of the Big Lake.
    varnerju likes this.
  6. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    93 & Others : I added some info at the webpage - Daily Turn by Turn Directions. Hit your "Reload" or "Refresh" button to see the changes.

Big IBA Great Lakes 100
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  7. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    93 : Where in MN are you located ?
  8. 93mph

93mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m located in Apple Valley, suburb of Minneapolis. Thanks for info on GL100!
  9. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    93:
    Rich Henrion from Norway, MI will probably be doing the ride. If so, he will start his ride on the Tuesday, July 14th (correction) and meet other Riders later the next morning near Middlebury, IN. If you can make the ride, maybe you and Rich can coordinate and meet in Madison or Milwaukee, etc. on the 14th - Just something to consider.
  10. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Did I miss it, What month?
  11. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Bob: I hope that will fit the July Ferry schedule.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  12. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim, Sure hope so
  13. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    I just added links to .GPX files and possible PLANS for each day of the ride at the ride webpage.

Hit your "Reload" or "Refresh" button to see the changes.

Big IBA Great Lakes 100
    Bigbob1 and varnerju like this.
  14. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim, but... Uhh... I can't open those GPX files. Basecamp says "error while importing" and Mapsource says "cannot open". What software do you use?
  15. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    I used Microsoft Streets & Trips to export the .GPX files.
  16. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Try it now, I think they should import OK, now.

I have run into this problem before ( a few years ago ). The .GPX file imports into S&T fine, but sometimes has a problem importing into other programs.

All I did was import it into GPS Utility, then saved it as a new .GPX file, and then it works ( ??? ).
    varnerju and Bigbob1 like this.
  17. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Rich Henrion made room reservations yesterday. He said the Pine View Inn in Virginia, MN said it was good he made reservations early since they fill up quick because there are a lot of fishermen that will be making their reservations soon.

So make your reservation in Virginia, MN ASAP. If the Pine View is full, there are three other motels in Virginia and another motel a bit south in Eveleth.

See: Motels in Virginia & Eveleth But the Pine View isn't shown on this map. It's near the corner of N. 9th Ave. & N. 17th St.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  18. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fixed! Thanks. :clap
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  19. Bullen

Bullen n00b

Oddometer:
    I did this ride with Jim last year and he is right when he says it is easier than a SS1k. The vibe to the ride is much more relaxed, there is plenty of time to have a meal each night with great group of guys and still get a good night sleep. At the end I was so ready to get off my bike, and at the time said I'd never do it again, but now I find myself trying to arrange my schedule to make this ride. If you can work it into your schedule, it is definitely worth doing.
    varnerju and Bigbob1 like this.
  20. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, so need to make reservations in Virginia MN soon eh? What about the other nights? Just wing it, or do you all have your favorite hotels of the area already picked out? I got approval from TPTB, now need to make official with reservations!