Big Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by acerbis, Jul 29, 2008.

1. acerbis

acerbis You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Two of my friends and myself are traveling from the L.A. area up 395 to Lake Tahoe. It will be great. Now the deal is that we both have small trucks and can't really fit 3 people (or bikes) into them for a 7 hour road trip. So i am thinking of riding up there?? I am going to get a gps this week and I would probally try to stick to road that parallel 395. What do you guys think and do you have any advise. I will defently do it if I had the right logistics set up. Heck if anyone want to do this ride around aug 20-21 then lets go. I have a duel sport 96 xr440 just to let you guys know i'd rather be on the dirt the whole time....Thanks
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    The ride from Smell-A to Bishop on 395.....well......how do I phrase this??......it BLOWS........boring/straight/HOT superslab......My suggesttion would be to truck your bikes to Bishop or Mammoth and unload there........plenty to ride in the Bishop/Mammoth area and parts north towards Tahoe.....

Dirt and Road Tracks from Mammoth Area posted here: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2640

BTW, THIS is the weekend to head up that way.......I am :D

[​IMG]
  3. acerbis

acerbis You can do it!

Oddometer:
    :freaky
    Dang.....it sure is!!!!!!!!!!
    I love Mammoth by the way. That's the place where i'm going to retire. And unloading a bike around there is a great idea. I'll be less tired for the fun part. thanks for the info!
  4. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Just don't buy a GPS that does not do tracks, Stay away from the Garmin Street units, Quest, Street Pilots and Nuvi. Get a 60cx or 76cx, great starter unit.

check out this thread for dirt from Lone Pine to Mammoth
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238581

There a all kinds of ways to stay off road to Tahoe also.
  5. acerbis

acerbis You can do it!

Oddometer:
    I'm going to get a 76cx. I heard that the topo maps might be enough for me to put something together?? A whole new world is opening up! :D thanks for the info! Still up for recommendations
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problem, just go to GPSXchange.com and download my Statewide Motorized Trail System (SMTS) to get best trakcs. See SMTS.Info for maps and details. Unlike what Crawdaddy says, you can ride dirt form Angeles Forest to Tahoe but it would take several days and should not be done alone.