Big Sur Oct. 14-16 (weather permitting)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Zen Slug, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking it would be nice to do a Big Sur/Los Padres weekend before the wet weather sets in. Would anybody be game for the weekend of October 14-16?

I would be riding up from the LA area (it's about a 5 hour ride from my neck of the woods). I might take Friday off of work to ride up during daylight and snag a better campsite.

I don't know the trails up there very well, but would want to explore some National Forest dirt on Saturday...perhaps near Cone Peak.

Any takers? :ear
  2. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    um, in Los Padres, you can only go on dirt roads open to vehicle traffic... thats pretty limited, there's the south coast ridge road from the top of Naciemento Fergueson to near Cone Peak, and the same road south to ?? which goes down to Pacific Valley (if its still open, I dunno?)... and there's the dirt road from Cachagua to Tassahara (25 miles of washboard last time I drove it), but that dead ends at the Tassahara Zen Monastery...

Used to be Indians Rd from Arroyo Seco to Mission San Antonio, but last I'd heard that was still closed (has been since the early 90s)...

past that? nada. you get 100' off any of these dirt roads and its the Ventana Wilderness Area, long protected from all mechanized travel (anyways, all the foot trails there are in no way suitable for motorcycling, its very rugged steep country, with very high fire hazards in the summer/fall.)
  3. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden south coast ridge south from Naciemento Fergusson on the bike before and it was fun. Nothing technical (just a fire road, afterall) but what spectacular scenery!

Do you know about any dirt roads into that area from the south? It looks like there are a few in my Gazeteer that originate just north of Hearst Castle. Perhaps they are gated? :dunno
  4. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    there were at one time two open roads to the south of Naciemento Rd from 1 to South Coast Rd... one was in Pacific Valley (I think?) and the other farther south. one at least was semi-dodgy with locals who really disliked tourists and had a reputation for waving shotguns. Both were very prone to washouts in rainy season.

my couple year old copy of MapPoint(same database as Streets and Trips) shows the southern one as FR-23S01, and the north (middle?) one as FR-23S02... this middle one is shown as coming out at Plaskett. This map shows the South Coast Ridge Rd as 23S05 and 23S06. Forest Road designations are KNOWN TO BE INACCURATE IN THIS AREA ON THIS MAP.

maps.google.com, shows the Plaskett area road as "Plaskett Ridge Rd" and a southerly road as Willow Creek - Los Burros Rd. I've never HEARD of this latter designation, and I lived in Monterey for 9 years. google also doesn't show either of these roads as connecting to anything, but they don't show the South Coast Rd either.
  5. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Willow Creek road goes up from Hwy 1 and runs into the ridge Rd. It goes thru the old Los Burros Mining area, hence the name. Also an old town of Manchester, burned out in the 70's.
    At the top you can still take the ridge road south a ways further to Three Peaks. The Govment closed the rest a few years ago.

Plaskett Creek is permanently closed at the top of the ridge. so it's a nice ride to the top, but then back down the same way.