Big Tanks on the way

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by jbrownmxr, May 3, 2006.

1. advjackass

advjackass orange crusher

Oddometer:
    i know a guy here in jackson that built a 2.5 gallon tank that mounts on your tail rack to existing holes. he is interested in making more and for other bikes. i saw it and it still functions for strappring gear onto. right now they would cost 600 bucks or better, he is trying to find away to get the price down. he just got back from a trip to ak so i will see how it worked and try to get pics if any of you chukleheads are interested?
  2. shardzero

shardzero I have a bike.....

Oddometer:
    where do those tanks fit on to the bike? No possibility of fitting on a 950? And how big are they?
  3. PvtIdaho

PvtIdaho Deck Spotter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see some pics,

One of the Chukleheads
  4. advjackass

Oddometer:
    i talked to my guy and the prototype tank is 1.5 gallon and he is working on venting issues. however, he said it worked well. he said he would ride about 80 miles and just reach back turn a valve and allow gas to flow to front tanks. he said he could make it any size but obviously bigger = more weight. he just wants to see how much interest there is in this. he will be making a small run of them come november for us guys around here except i won't be able to try it untill spring as we will be barried in snow. i am trying to get to his place for some pics. he might have a few extras from this first run if people are interested. he said it will cost 450-500.
  5. autorotate

autorotate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just dropped an inquiry to Aqualine about 950A tanks.

They told me:

1. Should be out in about 6 weeks.
    2. 38-40 liters:D
    3. $1600:cry

I'm assuming that is 1600 AUD, which is around 1200 USD as of today.

No pics yet...:cry
  6. ducky950

ducky950 Gnarly Water Fowl

Oddometer:
    I'd definately be interested in seeing a photo if he has a few!
  7. advjackass

Oddometer:
    my freinds and i decided that 95% of the people on this website would complain about pamela anderson giving them a blow job. that being said, he is going to make a small run of them this winter. pm me and i will see what he says. the prototype is cool and you can still use it to strap a bag onto.
  8. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Pamela Anderson, YUCK!!!! :D
  9. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    10 gallons!!!!! Man that is a hell of alot of weight. That is an additional 40 lbs added to a bike that at the current capicity weighs 525lbs full wet with all crash bars on and hard luggage. 525+40=565+ my 200lb ass 765. Isn't that over the max carring weight for the frame and suspension?
    I'm figuring if you fill the luggage with all your stuff to stay overnight somewhere you must surely add an additional 30lbs. min.. Now approaching 800 lb mark..........not for me. I'll keep looking for the nearest gas.
  10. lddave

lddave been there Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last fuel cell setup I bought was a little over $1000 and that was in 1998, so the price of $1200 for replacement tanks with 10 to 11 gallons capacity is not too bad. The limited fuel range has been one of the things I dislike about the 950 the most.
  11. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    Checking the manual, the GVWR for the 950 is 400 kg, or about 880 lbs. This is good ,cause I got at least a hundred pounds on ya' :lol3 !
  12. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Aqualine tanks will look even better if I break a stock tank. While I don't want the extra weight, I would like the range..... as it is I seem to have to fill up the big beast more than I would like because of the distance between gas stations. I often have to tank up after only 80 miles or so because the next gas stop is another 120 miles off and I want at least a little reserve range.
  13. ducky950

ducky950 Gnarly Water Fowl

Oddometer:
  14. The_Pilot

The_Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any news.
  15. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    ------- Start of mail --------

Dear Aurelien,
    Thank you for enquiring about our fuel tanks. We are in the process of doing a tank for the KTM 990, it will be available in approximately 4 weeks.
    It will replace the bikes original tank and will hold approximately 40 litres.
    The KTM crash bars will not fit, we will developed a set of crash bars to fit our tank but these will not be available until early next year. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
    Regards
    Veronica.

----- Original Message ----- From: <AURELIEN.KAMEL@FREE.FR>
    To: <RVAQUALINE@BIGPOND.COM>
    Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 7:20 AM
    Subject: Enquiry from Aurelien xxxxx

Name: Aurelien xxxxx
    Email: aurelienxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Phone: 0033xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Detail: Hello,
    I have a KTM 990 Adventure, are you going to sell a bigger fuel tank than the stock one for this motorcycle ? If yes could I have some information as the fuel capacity, the approx. date of availability, the compatibility with the KTM crash bars, etc.
    Thanks for your answer and sorry for my english.
    Aurelien xxxxx

------- End of mail --------

Great isn't it ? :1drink 4 weeks to wait ! maybe 6 or 8 to see the first photo here :clap
  16. icestorm

icestorm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any news about bigger tank on 990 ? I am going round the world next summer so I need one. :norton
  17. TipOver

TipOver Been here awhile

Oddometer: