1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Big Wheel Dual Range dune climbing desert bike

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by WILL_S, Feb 19, 2015.

1. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    This has been on the cards for awhile.Been dreaming and buying stuff scratching my head and bouncing ideas.Basically i need a bike that is very economical ,able to climb dunes and go where there are no tracks and carry the required gear to go solo.
    So a few years back i had this collection of stuff to build my ultimate desert sled.

[​IMG]

There is a sidecar in there as at that stage i thought i might need it to carry water and fuel.this may or go:dunno.if it stays it will probably end up a leaner

Next comes the rear hub to carry the big wheel thats going to launch me up the dunes.So i grab a BW front and decide to make into a rear.This is where i rope Drjoe into the project.I send him a pic with what i think will work.Take it up have a chat and yep it can be done oh and i had a quad wheel to go with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My collection of bits at the time

[​IMG]

To be honest i cant remember how long ago that was,time flies.
    Joes a very busy lad building all kinds of cool shit that he doesn't mention on adv.
    Here he is building something that ended up being a all nighter whilst i slept on his workshop floor

[​IMG]

Allright back to the project.
    So i think i might need a bigwheel frontend
    Atc triples ,the first set had rake built in the next set did not.I have a couple of old cr80 35mm showa forks laying round that will fit straight in.Problem is i have been running usd in my other bike[ct110 thats a 127cc another project] and they work well.So another they might stay or go:dunno.

[​IMG]

The rear suspension i grabbed these shocks

[​IMG]

To make the suspension work some mods had to be done to the pivot point.
    Stealing the tube for the new pivot point

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jig it up in the new frame

[​IMG]

Zap it in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this stage i think the dog is wondering wtf

[​IMG]

So go for some creative time.... give em the bird eh

[​IMG]

I awake from my creative time and realize their there is abetter way to get the nice big rear end i desire.......ebay:D

So up turns a complete rear wheel with axle.....easy.

[​IMG]

DOT approved:lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That leaves a swingarm and jackshaft to be made.
    Grab a old swingarm and make a jig that is adjustable in length and width.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:hmmmmmaaah the motor.A dual range.It won't be your normal dual range 110.More on that later.

[​IMG]

ATM tossing ideas back and forth with Joe about using ct110 gearbox shafts for jackshaft.What is more amazing is what he is doing with one:deal
  2. nbleak21

nbleak21 NOMAD

Oddometer:
    I'm totally in for the build!
  3. redprimo

redprimo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you thought of using an atc 125m engine. There were two versions and the earlier is a124cc horizontal with the dual range and an electric starter.
  4. Onederer

Onederer Crunch Nugget

Oddometer:
    At the bottom of your glass, staring back
    kenbob, Hvymax and ohgood like this.
  5. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a cool concept, now we've got a pair of big wheel projects here in Some Assembly Required at both ends of the spectrum.
    A CR500 big wheel for those insanos and a very practical dual range postie bike big wheel. :lol3
  6. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Yes i have played with ATC125 engines.Stuck there internals into a 110

[​IMG]

This motor will be a wee bit bigger,think stroker+bore
    More on the engine when i get to which way i'm going,got a couple of options from 145 to 170cc or....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cool beast and skyteam do a copy with adr for oz,but where's the fun in that .Straight out of the box some assembly required.:D
    http://scooterswa.com.au/bikesandbuggies/road-bikes/91-t-rex-125.html
    [​IMG]

I like fab work and have been known to do weird stuff with posties[ct110 trail in US]

[​IMG]
  7. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler

Oddometer:
    Any chance of you getting to the Tiddlers Rally Will?:ear
    That is one well set up postie,love to see it!:deal
  8. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Would love to get to the tiddlers rally.I'll see how things pan out.
    That was the before pic from coast to coast ,it didn't look like that by the end:rofl

[​IMG]

This is how it rolls now
    [​IMG]
    Hvymax likes this.
  9. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Instead of a sidecar make a mono wheel trailer and have the best of both worlds.
  10. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm thats not a bad idea.Could un hitch and stash my fuel and water for return trip, instead of lugging for the whole trip.
  11. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be cool and proabably work well but there are areas where your heading that quick direction changes around obstacles are needed so a trailer would need to be kept short enough that you wouldn't mind taking through the pine tree single tracks at the back of peachester.

So will had anymore thought about that special jack shaft we spoke about?
  12. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Yeah trailer or sidecar might not be needed if the fuel capacity works out,slow and steady no race.I am full bore cleaning out workshop so lathe can b set up and i have room to move.Hopefully in the next week i'll have workshop done, got a nice little welding bay so no more sparks on my bikes and projects:rofl

Yep plenty of jackshaft/dual range ideas.
    Luckily you keep adding big tools to your workshop:D
    Got a issue that might need to be resolved.Looks like suzuki have a unusual way of retaining cush bearings.This carrier the bearing doesn't have a retainer it just goes in and hopefully the inner sleeve pushes it out to where it needs to be for the carrier to run once the axle is tightened,weird.
  13. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    G'day Will_S

Any progress??

I just picked up a donor RV125 to shoehorn the swing arm and forks into the CBDR250.

Just put an old DRZ400 tank on for laughs

Trying to get it ready for Scrapheap 2016 to Tilpa :-)

[​IMG]
  14. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Got carried away with the 170cc build,which only got put together at 150cc lol.4000km on that motor and all good so time to up it to 170 then get back to the bigwheel.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  15. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Will

My new rear tyre has arrived

[​IMG]
    smilin jack and WILL_S like this.
  16. wiggywildwildwest

wiggywildwildwest cranky bugger

Oddometer:
    will, i was trawling the interweb the other day and found a chinese donk which has a 12v stator which will fit in a 6v motor. they were cheap. ended up buying 2. i'll let you know how it goes. when it turns up. sometime in the next 6 weeks. lol
  17. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Good stuff coxy
  18. wiggywildwildwest

Oddometer:
    it turned up today. it at least fits both the cover and the flywheel. at some stage in the near future i'll whack it in and see what it does. in other exciting stator news, i've found acetone does a great job on softening the coating on the charge coils in the stator. doesn't seem to touch the cdi source coil though. how is all this coming along?
  19. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you mean the lighting coils cox?
    Charge coil is normally the name given to the coil providing power to the cdi.
  20. wiggywildwildwest

Oddometer:
    well joe, i refer to the cdi coil as the source coil. tomayto tomato i suppose. the ones which will run the lights and/or charge the battery anyway. so how close was the cb500 donk to fitting a 690 frame?