Big Wheel Dual Range dune climbing desert bike

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by WILL_S, Feb 19, 2015.

1. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Coxy got a link to stator ?
    Now things have calmed i might lift the sheet off the project and knock up a swingarm .
  2. wiggywildwildwest

wiggywildwildwest cranky bugger

Oddometer:
  3. wiggywildwildwest

Oddometer:
    how is this coming along will? in other exciting news, i've finally fitted the stator to my dual ranger. it makes more voltage at lower speeds. (juuuuust makes 12v at idle vs about 7) with led everything else, it made 13.8v into a 60w halogen bulb. so i guess it's good for 70w or thereabouts? for all the fucking around, (i ended up destroying a 6v points stator to get a grommet and the doodad to protect the wires from the flywheel.) it'd probably be less grief to rewind the stocker with a bit thicker wire. or get joe to tig a 12v front half to the dual range bits.
  4. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Good to here coxy.
    Probably could pour a dodad out of sika or urethane.
    Got a couple of sprockets to make up a jackshaft.Have had the rv tyre soaking in wd and dishwashing liquid for a couple weeks .Trying to get the bead free ,don't want to cut the tyre just yet.
    Been hanging out with the chopper boys could change my direction or at least another build with a fat tyre lol 20160113_182537.jpg
    smilin jack likes this.
  5. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    20160207_183659.jpg Righto 2 weeks of palmolive,wd and today some silicone spray i have one half of the split rim seperated.
    Time to work on the other half and then get the rims in the sandblaster followed by some paint.
    Slowly ,slowly lol
    smilin jack, Foxed101 and Te Hopo like this.
  6. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Hey Will, I did a quick search through your build threads but I can't find where you swapped the front end on your postie to the setup you have now with the disc brakes. Any info?

Also I see you're still using the custom rear swingarm. How is it holding up and what about the shocks?

Sean :bmwrider
  7. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Front end is gpx black label 730mm kit,comes with everything except wheel.A mate turned the postie stem to fit the triples.
    Swingarm is going great ,bearings instead of bushes are holding up and provide less flex.
    Shocks is a bit hit and miss.Onto my second set ,ok loaded but to harsh unloaded.Looking into get some custom made ones.The bigwheel i think will be ok with the shocks i have atm as the tyre should provide a bit of cushioning .
  8. wiggywildwildwest

Oddometer:
    yeah, you could likely make a grommet for the stator wiring, although just pinching one from a rooted stator is pretty easy. the little metal piece which protects the wiring could be fabricated easy enough too. i'd like to try a newer style reg/rec next. the one i have is apparently not very efficient. found one on a dr350 frame in the tip the other day. might give it a go.

so is the jackshaft deal going to be the engine sprocket>sprocket on postie countershaft>sprocket on other end>wheel? the postie countershaft will be ideal. how does it go for spline length? can it be cut down? is the spline along the countershaft where the gears run the same as inside the sprocket?
  9. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Maybe.Have you seen what @DRjoe did with a postie countershaft and main on the 2wd katoom.
    Those two shafts have the right spline.
    A simple version(my limited ability)is a piece of solid round with each end turned down for Postie sprocket eother side,sprocket pressed on and welded then sitting in pillar bearing mounted to swingarm.
    If my maths is right without setting up a swingarm it only needs 35mm of offset.
  10. wiggywildwildwest

Oddometer:
    yeah, i saw what joe was up to. your version might be easier. as long as fast sprocket changes aren't required.
  11. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    20160214_135223.jpg Another week of soaking and another half.The pile of crud below the rims is only half of what come out.Hopefully the sandblaster doesn't take more or I'll have the lightweight version.
    smilin jack likes this.
  12. Bananapete

Bananapete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you know it, but originally there should have been a paper gasket between the two parts of the wheel that should prevent them from rusting together.

This worked rather well on my RV125 that still had the very first set of tires on it when I bought it about 10 years ago.
    WILL_S likes this.
  13. wiggywildwildwest

Oddometer:
    could you sikaflex them together and go tubeless?
  14. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of split rims for fixing flats .
    If i go tubeless i think i will use a quad alloy rim .
  15. wiggywildwildwest

Oddometer:
    go tubeless if you can. harder to change, easier to repair and no annoying flats from sand getting in and rubbing a hole in your tube.
  16. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Coxy
    Now to find a quad alloy front that can be re-drilled and cut to suit the rv hub
    Got sidetracked building motors,i could stick a late honda top end on a dual range .
    What's the hardest ,most sapping thing about doing a canning run or similar?
    Do i need good dune climbing ability ? Fuel carrying ability/ economy ?
    Pretty sure i don't need speed lol
    xl xr top end grafted onto ct cases.jpg
  17. gkam

gkam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it a cylinder and head from an XR or XR?
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :dunno
  19. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Atm a xl185 cylinder and head,xr200 fits also,been looking at crf150 bits to take it out 200cc
  20. wiggywildwildwest

Oddometer:
    for something like the canning, fuel economy and carrying capacity are important. with an engine that big, do you need dual range?