1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

BigDog & Gaspipe Do The TransAm Trail West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Jun 22, 2006.

1. VDG

VDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'am wondering to know the story.
    By the way, BigDog could you please clarify what does Continental Divide Ride means? Sorry don't know much about USA places.
    Thanks.

2. Freddie Rides

Freddie Rides Can't find the door

Oddometer:
    Hey BigDog. I've talked to Bruce a couple times by phone message over the past week. I was intending to hook up with him somewhere on the CDR but it just never happened. I got impatient and set out on my own. I hadn't heard about the broken bones.

I blasted down to Silver City, NM where I caught the CDR, then down to Antelope Wells, detoured through Mexico back up to McNeal, AZ, then back to Silver City where I picked up heading north. I got as far as a crossing of San Miguel creek just north of Grants, NM where the creek had washed the road out. (New Mexico's gotten more rain in the past two months than has ever been recorded.) I spent 4 hours trying to find an alternate route to rejoin the CDR but couldn't find an easy one. I was supposed to be back in Denver that night anyway so I bailed on a round about detour and still didn't get back 'til Monday morning. I think I would have crossed paths with GP that afternoon if it hadn't been for the wash-out.

Anyway . . . all that to say, I used your track that I downloaded from your thread on the ride last year and it was awesome. I wanted you to know that I appreciated it and wanted to acknowledge you in this public forum. Thanks.

I can't wait to hear/read GP's report. He has a knack for experiencing life in a way that makes most of the rest of us feel like we've been dead for a couple years!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    End of the road. I wish this is where I'd met GP and the others. We could have dragged the bikes through the creek.
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whoa---now that's some mud. I'm going to keep those pictures. You are so welcome for the GPS info--------lot's of people have used it and I haven't got any hate mail yet :D I'm so glad it worked out for you.
    Too bad you didn't run into GP-------yes he's got a story to tell---I think there is much more than broken bones.
    I've seen a picture of that washout in somebody elses thread---man that is bad !!!
  4. lasvegasrider

lasvegasrider To the edge of the continents

Oddometer:
    Hey BigDog and all of you advriders. :freaky

Gaspipe, Jeff Jones from Indio, CA (Jonz) and myself have finished our 2006 CD ride and Bruce (Gaspipe) wasn't the one who broke bones this time out.:clap :wink:

Anyway, we'll get a ride report up on the journey in a few days when Gaspipe gets settled back in TN and starts the tread - it was one hell of ride.:deal
  5. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh great, just like telling a junkie that he can get drugs in a week. Thanks!

Nate
  6. lasvegasrider

lasvegasrider To the edge of the continents

Oddometer:
    Hey Freddie - We got the note that you placed on the gate shortly after we crossed that same washed out road heading south. GP, Jonz and I were happy to see the note and then understood why we had missed you. ... Anyway, the ride report we are putting together will cover the details - Man, was that some nasty mud :getiton
  7. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:

Hey lasvegasrider----------I'll be watchin' for it--can't wait for all the gory details---hope your hand is going to be OK.
  8. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    GasPipe and gang --
    Can't wait to read it.

Hate to say this, yet you guys are about a two years ahead of me on your adventures. Got to love the fact there are others out there doing the same (as the wife would say "Crazy") things I am planning on doing.

I should finish up the TAT in 2008.
    Take a year off to spend with the family with out trips.
    2010, if I can get my brother to agree I am planning the CD!

We only go around this crazy world once, and this is no practice run! Make it count.
  9. Freddie Rides

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yah. Bummer.

LVR, you can start the thread. You don't have to wait for GP!!
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Whats the note say?
  11. Freddie Rides

Oddometer:
    I just told them, "Freddie Rode Here", and was hoping to cross paths with them later that day. I knew they hadn't been through there yet because there weren't any tracks.
  12. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Jeff, check you e-mail. I need some bits.
  13. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I'm back. CD thread coming up in a day or two.

Freddie - sorry we missed ya. I carried your note home to TN :thumb
  14. Steel_Cowboy

Steel_Cowboy back in the saddle....homeward bound

Oddometer:
    awesome pics, even better ride, eh :wings
  15. stinkfinger

stinkfinger Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    Dear Sir Gaspipe,
    Would you be so kind as to publish pics of your dirt bagz
    mounting system and rack?

The dirt godz would surely be pleased.

Thanx
    Tony
    02xr650r
  16. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Tony:

I'll post some pics of the SRC rack/fender brace and modified DB racks if you really want to see it, but I am giving up on the SRC stuff since it has failed twice. I have no confidence in the materials or workmanship of the SRC system for the XR650R.

I am going to modify a ProMoto Billet rack to work with the DB.

I'll post that when I get the parts.
  17. JKL

JKL Rider

Oddometer:

Hey Gaspipe - I have the ProMoto Rack on my bike and recently bought the DirtBags. Obviously they are not going to mount in the same place at the same time - either or - unless modified.
    I sheared the bolt on the PM Rack where it mounts in the subframe already. Replaced it with a bigger bolt and so far so good.
    Wich are you going to modify? Please posts some pictures and test it out on your next adventure. I will do the same.:D
  18. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I will do so :thumb BTW - I have oversize bolts/heli-coils in the subframe already as a preventative measure. I will make some new hoop ends for the dirtbag mounts to work with the PMB rack. I was thinking about using the PMB turn signal mounts as the attachment point.

The SRC stuff cracked so much and so often, I got tired of welding it and/or mailing them back for replacement. Good for the day rider, but bad for the multi-thousand mile adventurer. IMHO.
  19. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    After reading all of this, I had to give it a bump...

The bit that had me almost pissing while LMFAO:

I can SO relate to the required "Morning Constitutional" before heading out for a day in the saddle... on or off road!!:rofl :rofl
  20. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    What? No more pages?? Crap now what am I gonna do at work?:huh

Someone point me to another great thread! Please!