BigDog & Gaspipe Do The TransAm Trail West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try this one

And then this one

:deal
  2. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
  3. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
  4. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. OKRider

OKRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gaspipe and BigDog,

I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but I just read the whole thread and I've got to tell you what an awesome job you guys did -- not just in completing the ride itself, but in putting in what must have been a very substantial amount of time so that guys like me could enjoy it as well.

Keep up the great riding and writing. You guys rock and you're an inspiration!!

:clap

- Kurt
    KLR 650 Rider
  6. Hollywood

Hollywood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    excellent... good on both you for not givin' up the gps tracks to the wannabes.:freaky

someday...
  7. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys, damn you!!! I sit here reading bits of this a couple of times a day and find myself just staring at the pictures and thinking about the ride. I hear the bikes, smell the pines, the snow, hear the quiet, feel the isolation and the freedom it brings, see the horses, taste the beer, hear the conversations, can see the bikes sitting in front of the motels and drifts. What a ride, and what a fantastic report. Thanks, it's great!
  8. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Thanks.....I just re-read some of it myself, and laughed my tail off at some of the stuff Mark and I pulled off.

It was a great ride - and I recommend it. You'll see a chunk of the USA that very few have. I still think about this ride almost every day.

It's spurred me to come up with something similar, yet as epic. But that's another story for another time.
  9. Freddie Rides

Freddie Rides Can't find the door

Oddometer:

Yeah . . . ???
  10. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    What did you guys do each day to clean chains?
  11. OldSchoolMike

OldSchoolMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading this GREAT report. I'll have to work all night to catch up - but it'll be worth every minute!

Thanks Gaspipe and Big Dog. I loved it!:D

Mike
  12. rocks

rocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just haulled my eyes through all of your report.. thanks for posting. Looked like an awsome trip. Being a geologist, its always nice to see the differing terrains in other countries..

I wish we had the open spaces you guys have, over here. Then again I probably would have spent too much time looking at old mines..

Please keep the reports coming..
  13. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think we ever cleaned our chains...they never really needed it--------the chains never got mucky-------but did get a good oiling every day. We sprayed them with aeorosol chain lube each day----sometimes twice a day. We were lucky and never rode in hardly any mud. We both started off with brand new chains and sprockets as we didn't want to have to deal with replacing them the whole trip.
  14. ohioroadrat

ohioroadrat It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer:
    Big Dog & Gaspipe-just got around to reading your stories of the ride out west.It realy brought back a lot of great memerys. I was only about 2 weeks behind you guys on my ride of the TAT but I left Jelico,Tn. and rode the whole thing solo...would have been more fun and safer with one more person. I took lots of pics and have given severale talks about my trip but you have filled in a lot of blanks for me. It makes it better for me knowing a lot of the history that you gave about the differant areas. One thing,next time you have to spend a few days in Moab and ride the area...there`s nothing else like it. Do the white rim trail for sure. Also in your pics where you are on the Zimmerman Ranch -the caption is looking into the valley of a hundred gates-the land slid to the right is now almost washed out. When I came thru I had to gas it up to cross that section or I would have slide down the 200 feet to the bottom. You could see the dirt oozing down the hillside...SCARY!
    Anyway thanks for the great report-wish I could write like that.
  15. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Hi ohioroadrat,

I sure do admire you riding it solo--------I would have been scared to death riding the Nevada and Oregon sections alone. I was nervous even with a buddy----it would be so easy to get hurt and die out there.

Yes-------I've ridden all over Moab and the whole state of Utah---I used to say it was the most beautiful state in the US.

What bike did you ride ????
  16. rustynut

rustynut Sr. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so, what do you consider the prettiest state now? I liked Utah also.

great ride report, by the way. I just retired a month ago and will be headed to Big Bend and south after the holidays. Hope to have a ride report in a couple of months. won't be as well-written as this one, though.
    :nod :1drink
  17. ohioroadrat

ohioroadrat It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post3797605 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_3797605>Hi ohioroadrat,

I sure do admire you riding it solo--------I would have been scared to death riding the Nevada and Oregon sections alone. I was nervous even with a buddy----it would be so easy to get hurt and die out there.

Yes-------I've ridden all over Moab and the whole state of Utah---I used to say it was the most beautiful state in the US.

What bike did you ride ????
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Mark Sampson
    www.bigdogadventures.com
    "He who dies with the biggest gas tank--wins" !
    "I'm so old, I don't even buy green bananas"--Quote: Jimmy Dickens

Hi Dig Dog-I took my 05 LKR650 that I to Mexico the year befor. I`ve done a lot of work to it to make it handle better. Other than braking the foot pegs 3 times I had no problems...Oh ya,the stock battery went dry 3 times too.Lucky it didn`t happen 100 miles from nowhere.
    I was never scared but I always kept in mind where I was and that if I broke down or got hurt that it could be life thretening...I don`t recomend that anyone try it solo unless your willing to pay the price if anything happens.
    My favoret state for sceray is Colorado-asphalt or dirt you can`t go wrong.
    I think I will go back and do the western states agin next summer.
    I saw snow in the passes but nothing completly covering the trail. Funny the differance a few weeks can make.
    I think some of the places we went that no one had been there in years and if they had they sure didn`t leave any tracks.
    Hope to see you guys on the trail someday............LARRY

Larry W.Menefee
    1467 Hempwood drive
    Columbus,Ohio 43229
    614-436-9944
    <!-- / sig --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>[​IMG] Blame John™ </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  18. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ara & Spirit
  19. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:

Right now---the remote mountains of Northern Nevada that we rode on the trams am trail is the most awesome scenery and beatiful terrain I've ever seen.

2nd place for me is Arizona----I may go back there in 07 and finish a bunch of routes I laid out and never finished.

3rd for me is Utah

Colorado is awesome no doubt-------but keeps sliding down the ladder with me--------as more and more people invade the back country. I've ridden there so much maybe I'm just wanting something new and different and more remote.
  20. Ignore Amos

Ignore Amos bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer:
    Naw...not true...it sucks here...look elsewhere:thumb

BD or GP, you guys ever what to see some of the best of AZ look me up, love to show some of our back country...

Happy Holidays Y'all!