BigDog & Gaspipe Do The TransAm Trail West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Ignore Amos

Ignore Amos bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer:
    Naw...not true...it sucks here...look elsewhere:thumb

BD or GP, you guys ever what to see some of the best of AZ look me up, love to show some of our back country...

Happy Holidays Y'all!
  2. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Greetings from half a world away - I'm in Hang Dong, Thailand prepping a KTM 450EXC for an Enduro race tomorrow (Christmas Eve). Yep - I'm back into competition/race mode.

I am in BigDog's camp - my favorite state was Nevada. I love wide open scenery with no people in it, and Nevada wins that hands down. Close second was Utah for the wide variety of riding - pine forests, sand, canyons, almost but not quite singletrack, and wide open space in western Utah.

Ohioroadrat - funny, but for part of our ride, we were chasing a single set of tracks for a day and a half, but that rider turned off the trail for a while to see some other things. Otherwise, it sure is a lonely place out there, and that is what draws me to it.

Happy Holidays to all.
  3. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy BigDog and GasPipe,

I am truly humbled by this ride and the fantastic report you guys have taken the time to present to us. Thank you for sharing this incredible Adv-Ride.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :deal
  4. ohioroadrat

ohioroadrat It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer:
    Gas Pipe & Big Dog

Your right,for riding ,the back country with no one around for 100 miles is definetly the best! But I like Colo. in the high country for seanery,but then any new area is great.

The best trail I have ever ridden is the one over the next hill!

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY EVERYONE AND KEEP RIDING !
  5. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just finished...ate the whole thing:-) Just a treat from start to finish. I expect that a lot of us don't realise how much open and deserted land there truly is in this country. Great pics and story...thanks so much for taking the time to put this together.

I am about midway between the two of you...if either of you ever end up in Paducah for any reason, give me a shout...be glad to buy you a cold one...or two:freaky
  6. AdventureDreamer

AdventureDreamer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OHIOROADRAT...I want to do Colorado next summer as well. I ride the same bike (KLR650) and live over in Indianapolis. You can reach me at freetimeod@msn.com.

Happy Holidays...hope I find a new tank bag under the tree.
  7. Fozdick

Fozdick Still Thinking

Oddometer:
    Hey guys just spent the weekend reading and looking at the pics. A friend just sent me this report - best Christmas present I got bar none!

Thailand Ah don't get me started

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year

Foz
  8. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    BDog/Gpipe....

Do you think the TAT could be done on a KLR250 ? I have a 650, on which I'd load all the stuff; but my son has a 250 which he'd ride 'clean'. Would it have the guts for the Colo. stage ? Obviously speed is not an issue.
  9. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:

I live right at some of the toughest stuff on the Colorado section- A KLR 250 would be ideal, IMHO....
  10. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    BadDog, Gaspipe!

Congratulations for a brilliant ride and report. Wish I have that vast country to ride, but I have a mere 100 by 35mi island that can be covered in a day.

Thanks for sharing your ride with us. It was educational as well as inspirational. For sure, each ride is different, so every experience will give you the knowledge an experience. By sharing your story, we can somehow feed our need for knowledge. Information is power and that's why you are receiving lots of inquire for details. The more you know, the more confortable you become. But as we all know, events are exposed to probabilities. Add mother nature and there's a whole universe of probable problems and opportunities. So, there isn't a book with all the answers, but there is planning, and you did yours and you where successful. :clap

And for a guy like me, sitting behind a desk, most of a day in a controlled environment, keeping an eye on a network, while reading your voyage, sometimes is thrilling.

I'm looking forward to a startup ride. My Transalp is in a stored in a garage in Va., so probably next summer I'll be going to the Blue Ridge with a buddy from Fla. Lets see if I can sort out all my reponsibilities at work and at home (I'm a minority at home! wife and 2 daughters)

So, keep on riding and posting!

:ricky
  11. ST4Fun

ST4Fun Proud to be an Infidel

Oddometer:
    I sat down this morning at work, here in the basement of a hospital, with basically nothing to do for the day. Things slow down this time of year usually, and I have just spent the last 4 hours reading and enjoying this awesome ride report. Simply fantastic, thank you guys for making my day.:clap
    Santa just got me a 96 DR350SE with 2K street miles on it in showroom condition, and he only charged me 1,500 bucks, thats what got me over here at Adv Rider poking around. What good timing, what a great read with pictures to die for, you guys are good.:bow

Just one question though. When you took that favorite pic of the two cowboys on horseback in the wilderness, and you used the Outlaw Josey Wales line, did a "brokeback mountain" kinda joke ever enter your mind to say?:rofl Somehow I think not!

Thanks again, now off to search for rear racks, soft bags, and other accessories!
  12. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me and GasPipe have never mentioned it on the net-------but I have to admit, as soon as we got down the trail a little we did have a few snickers about brokeback mountain after seeing those 2 cowboys out there in the middle of nowhere. After we saw them we went passed a little log cabin that was livable----I think they were staying there.
  13. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I agree with Hayduke-------the klr 250 would be a hoot---especially for a younger lighter rider. I've ridden 250 4-strokes to some very high altitudes-------they struggle when it gets over 10,000 ft. ------but your not that high that much on the TAT-------so don't worry at all.

I did have trouble trying to get to the top of Mt. Antero in Colorado on 2 different 250's I had. But it was over 14,000 ft. They just wouldn't quite get to the top and I had to go back down.
  14. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    :puke2
  15. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:

Ok Jeff---try to hold her down:D -------when we going riding again ??? I'm ready---was taking the 520EXC to Missouri this weekend but it's going to be raining and cold the whole weekend.
    [​IMG]

I know--------wa----wah------wah !!!
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Whenever your ready just let me know!!! I doubt we will ever get that lucky again on the weather in the middle of winter.
    A friend of mine at work just got his first dualsport bike, a mint 89 Yamaha XT350. I'm going to take him to Daniel Boone saturday and break him in properly. :lol3

Very nice 520! I was checking it out the other day on your site. Makes me want one of the new 525 EXC's
  17. ohioroadrat

ohioroadrat It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post3817610 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_3817610><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by ST4Fun
    , did a "brokeback mountain" kinda joke ever enter your mind to say?:rofl Somehow I think not!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Me and GasPipe have never mentioned it on the net-------but I have to admit, as soon as we got down the trail a little we did have a few snickers about brokeback mountain after seeing those 2 cowboys out there in the middle of nowhere. After we saw them we went passed a little log cabin that was livable----I think they were staying there.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Mark Sampson
    www.bigdogadventures.com
    "He who dies with the biggest gas tank--wins" !
    "I'm so old, I don't even buy green bananas"--Quote: Jimmy Dickens

Dig Dog-I ran into the same two cowboys,they were moving cows to another pasture. The cabin is sometimes used and is stocked with a bed and a rifle hanging on the wall.Guess they don`t worry about anyone stealing it out there.
    The year before the one cowboy`s hourse bucked him and broke both his legs when he was out there by himself.He had to craw to a fence line and wait all day for help.And they say motorcycles are dangerous!
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  18. SalsaBoy

SalsaBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So exactly how would someone get back from a trip like this? Don't think it was ever answered.

It would be horrible trying to slab it back to the east coast especially on something less street worthy.
  19. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    We toyed with so many otptions how to get back----we thought about every possibility including riding back. Not being able to figure it out-------we left---not knowing--we just said "We'll figure it out". We wanted to go so bad we just took off---and may God be with us !!!

And believe it or not we made the decision after gettting all the way there. We figured we'd kill those dirt bikes slabbing home and go thru 2 sets of tires and an oil change or 2-----useless wear and tear. We rented a U-haul just North of where we hit the ocean (Coos Bay) and hauled them home-------- and as Paul Harvey always says-------"now you know The Rest Of The Story" :D

Yes------the logistics of doing a ride like that on bikes like we took is very difficult-----I was faced with the same thing on the Continental Divide ride--but I was riding a much better bike on the road---a KLR.
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    When I am finally able to make the jouney, I will fly back and use ForewardAir.com to ship the bike. They already have motorcycle crates and they quoted me $250 from WA to KY. They have hubs at most major airports. A one way flight is around $200.