BigDog & Gaspipe Do The TransAm Trail West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Jun 22, 2006.

1. ST4Fun

ST4Fun Proud to be an Infidel

Oddometer:
    God...that is funny. I would have been afraid that they were packin and would just shoot and leave bodies for the buzzards out there. :gun1
  2. EVILONE

EVILONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find this thread to be what I cal "internet crack",I have read for two days,and Im still on page 15.What an awesome ride,and ride report.After viewing your post's,I have decided to ride the TAT from front to back.I am at present trying to talk a fellow ADVrider SVTA into said trip,but hes gonna need some proding....lol.And a new bike for that matter!

Anyway,thanks for all the words and pics,this is WAY better then the "idiot box"

EVILONE:evil
  3. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good plan, to me. Anyone here use them before ? Details ? ?? Maybe I'd fly the bike to the West coast and ride it home.

So many options.....
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I have personally used them 2 twice to ship quads. They normally want a 2 week notice to reserve your crate.
  5. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I'd considered FA to ship the bike, but the nearest terminal to Port Orford was 250 paved miles away in Portland, OR (or about 400 miles to Sacramento). If you have the time, it's not a bad way to go.

Our tires were shot, my chain and sprockets were finished - and I was worn out. The thought of riding a day on pavement to get to a terminal wasn't too appetizing, and we both wanted to get home. So we rented a truck and drove back, crossing our trail several times in the process.
  6. battep

battep Perty

Oddometer:
    Gents, just got to the end of your journey and it's been utterly addictive. I'm quite exhausted!!:clap :clap :clap :clap

You can't believe how envious I am to see all those miles and miles of fantastics trails and huge open spaces. Spare a thought for us here in blighty, with 140,000 miles of public rights of way, just 2000 of it is open to vehicular access......and that is usually in 1/4 mile chunks!!!!

You've kicked off a new dream ride for me.......thanks.
  7. WarLlama

WarLlama belligerent cameloid

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics, funny commentary, epic journey, this thread rocks. Well done!

Here I was thinking Nevada was just desert, thats some beautiful country there.
  8. Lil Henry

Lil Henry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both of you for the great report! Very inspiring!!!
  9. Kidder

Kidder Poser Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    GP and BD,

I don't know how I missed this thread but thanks very much for sharing! Bigdog, is there an option for a bigger tank like GP has on his Honda?
  10. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed our story Kidder--and glad you took the time to sift thru it all--------as over time it sure has gotten spread out----------a 4.3 tank should be at my house very soon. IMS had promised me it would be a 5 gallon tank--but they had some fitment issues I heard so it is a 4.3.

It will be natural in color---utilize the blue radiator shrouds--and will come up beside the radiators to protect them. Screwy thing is-------they say it's going to utilize the stock Husky keyed gas cap:eek1 I hate that cap--first time I've seen IMS do that. I wanted an old fashion screw on plastic cap.

The upside to using the stock flat keyed gas cap is that my Wolfman enduro tank bag will still sit up there nicely out of the way.
  11. SourcetoSea

SourcetoSea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to bump this, having re-read for the third time. Excellent posts.

Couple of questions, as I'm seriously considering the TAT in either fall '08 or '09 for a ride. I thru-hiked the Appalachain Trail in 2000, and paddled a canoe for 2,150 miles down the Mississippi River in 2005. I'm into the ultralight hiking stuff, and carry about 15-20 pounds at most for camping for several days. (www.sourcetosea.net). Yes, I've got a travelling problem!

I'm going to be a fairly new rider (rode tons as a kid, but nothing on a regular basis for 15 years), and am going to be picking up a do-it-all bike for this trip in the next month or so. Will a KLR 650 be too much of a pig, or would I be better off with some thing else (DRZ400, DR350, etc). If I do this, I plan to camp 90% of the time with minimal town stays. I've got a bad habit of staying in towns too long, and am better off just doing my business and getting out.

Anyways, again - great thread. I enjoyed it.
  12. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I just got around to reading this entire thread.:thumb:thumb

One thing I learned is that the West TAT seems to be much tougher than the East, this is the first I've read about the West section in great detail. A lot of what I read about the TAT a year ago was that "any bike could do it", from reading this that's most definetly NOT the case.

You guys are awesome :bow

I've got the itch to go do this ride sooo badly, I had originally thought that I'd do an Alaska Trip after reading sooo many reports and seeing so many superb photos of that beautiful country. But the TAT is the Road less traveled and we'll probably not have this great route for much longer :cry when I saw that hill you stopped on in NV and someone said they were putting 5,000 homes right near there it made me sick.

My only hangup with not getting on the bike tommorow and doing this ride is the fear of going solo and getting stuck out there, even with a SAT phone who would you call for help? I'd like to find someone to go with, but I wouldn't want to hold anyone up if I was riding too slowly or piss someone off for sleeping too late.

I think I'll take a few days off work in late April and try to tackle the MS & AR sections to wet my apetite a little bit.
  13. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Source to Sea-----------I think the KLR is an excellent choice for the entire TAT----I rode mine on the Eastern states and it was a perfect choice for me. Although I chose to ride something a little more dirt worthy on the Western sections, the KLR is certainly still a good choice and better for carrying camping gear.

And though riding a smaller bike such as a DRZ would be better most of the time on the rougher stuff of the Western states it doesn't make such a good bike for riding back home after arriving in Oregon------but certainly do-able.

But do pack extremely light--------but seems you already understand that and know how to do it.

Me and GasPipe will cross into BAJA this Sunday 2-11-07----have a great TAT !!!!
  14. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Hey Duke.
    My brother and I are planning to do the trail west from Arkansas in July. And if you want to coordinate around april to do the MS/Ark portions, we could do that.
    Shoot me an email.

Scott
  15. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    if you start at the Arkansas border PM me, I'm right there. Can fix or direct to good places for dinner.
  16. cricket

cricket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report Bigdog and Gaspipe made me ready to do TAT.
    I just pickup a 450EXC KTM been on dirt bikes for years ready to try some thing a little different.
    Have a few questions first you were taking about the mirrors you were using how they folded away what kind of mirrors are we talking about? And second question why did you pick the Garman 276C GPS over something like the Zumo?
  17. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Need.... a place.... to park... (gasp) the truck.... any help on that?
  18. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bump, just 'cause I needed to read me some Gaspipe. TAT season is coming soon....
  19. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some friends and I are doing Colorado and west in early July. Let me know if you want more info.
  20. oaussieo

oaussieo n00b

Oddometer:
    Like was said in the past 5 stars just is not enough…need more…
    Guys this was and is the best ride report...I am looking forward to reading about more of you adventures...Once again great ride...Thanks for sharing
    Ken
    :clap
    P.S. have a beer for me....Awsome :freaky