1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BigDog & Gaspipe Do The TransAm Trail West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Jun 22, 2006.

1. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    Mark & Bruce,

Outstaning ride report!

I probably missed it while reading, but could you point me in the right direction for the GPS track from this trip?

EDIT: Whoops - I just did some more research using the search function and have discovered that this (free TAT gps files) is a touchy subject - not necessarily with you guys but in general. I also found the website for the "Sam maps". I'll just purchase those - I've got a year to plan anyway...
  2. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I'm shopping.

That looks like a nice '74 CL360 right there....that'd do fine. Clear your calendar there Jay......there's some south of the border biz to be handled....

:nod

3. dwike

dwike like you stole it!

Oddometer:
    Wow, this makes me feel so alive!!!!

At 40 I've been riding since I was 10, started on an XR 75. Rode an IT 125 in my teens, moved onto Harleys in my 20s, and currently have an 07 300xc KTM and race two enduros this year (for the first time), and an 02 Ducati S4 Monstor with 109.9RWHP.

My Dad turned me onto this site, and sent me the link to this adventure. I have to be honest, I've alwasy thought that dual sport bikes were gay, sorry. I am indeed changing my tune. I am finally starting to realize the advancements in technology, and the ability of these newer bikes. Most importantly, I have learned about the ability to cross this lovely country in the dirt. I COULDN'T BE MORE PUMPED!

I'm trying to find others that have an interest and are in a place in life that is similar to mine. I want to do this! I want to ride this country in the dirt from coast to coast. I'm so pumped i can hardly take it. I currently have the Duc for sale on ebay and a couple of other sites. I want a KTm 640 Adventure. I can't wait to deck it out the way it needs to be, and most importantly I can't wait to get in the dirt and begin what I think is going to be a life changing adventure. As much as I am excited about the adventure, I'm praying that God would put the right group together. Life is about adventure and people, and I can't wait to see how this gets put together.

Anybody out there want to trade a sweet Monster for a KTM Adventure?

Peace, just trying to keep this thread alive.

Happy late Thanksgiving, and a pre Merry Christmas!

Daniel
  4. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    That was my first "street" bike (only in the orange version). Brings back memories.

Great write-up on the trip. Now I'm itching to get out there since it's been one of those back of the mind trips for a while....

Thanks for the inspiration.
  5. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Your XRL is set up just right for the trip. Have at next summer. :thumb

Glad the ride report was entertaining. :webers
  6. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    btw, glad to have ya back gp

cheers
  7. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bruce, I just reread this whole darn thing again. Man you and Big Dog write one great story.

I still think you need to get an old Yahama DT400 and go play a little on the Vintage Ride.

[​IMG]

Miss the ride reports by the way!!!

2007 - Vintage TAT Ride - OK, NM, CO - ADVrider
  8. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Here you go Vance - something to keep you motivated.....

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300" data="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=684484&amp;server=www.vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color="> <param name="quality" value="best" /> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="scale" value="showAll" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=684484&amp;server=www.vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.vimeo.com/684484/l:embed_684484">BigDog and gaspipe Do The Trans Am Trail</a> from <a href="http://www.vimeo.com/user363583/l:embed_684484">gaspipe</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com/l:embed_684484">Vimeo</a>.

Looking at building a TT500 for some of this stuff.....
  9. SpringOly

SpringOly Old Swede

Oddometer:
    Now I'm gonna have to go ride!

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

:clap
  10. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks man, that is what I was needing to get thru this cold ass winter. I think the TT500 is a great plan, that will be a kickass bike.:pynd
  11. makotosun

makotosun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great little video! Nicely done.

Vance - I am looking forward to filming that section in a couple of months!
  12. terryhobart

terryhobart n00b

Oddometer:
    I remember riding to Tin Cup in the 70s on my full dress Honda 900 Custom. Does the town still have the sign "Tin Cup. This is gods country. Don't drive through it like hell". It was on an old wooden sign, very weathered. I really loved that town!

[​IMG]
  13. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you mean this one? This was during WestFest '06.

[​IMG]
  14. terryhobart

terryhobart n00b

Oddometer:
    That's the one. 38 years and I still remember that sign. I crossed the divide 4 times that day - all on dirt on a full dress with all my camping gear. It was a great ride. Thanks for the reminder.

I truely loved this report. Four of us are taking a u-haul to Trinidad, CO. and riding the trail back this Aug. I can't wait.
  15. terryhobart

terryhobart n00b

Oddometer:
    I think one of my buddies had this exact problem with his Husky. We were riding Jerry Count's Death Valley ride and his quit. It turned out some of the plates broke loose inside the battery due to the bouncing. A new after market battery worked fine. Don't know if this was a factory battery but .... Sure sounded familliar when you talked about it.

I have enjoyed your trip immensely. Thanks for the report. My buddies & I are going from Trinidad, Co. out in August (2008). Most of the reports I have viewed didn't say too much about Nevada (other than they got lost:D). I enjoyed your information very much.

16. Slyder

Slyder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for taking the time to update all of the image paths, as well as for creating the RR in the first place. I've read through all 39 pages off 'n on over the past week - top shelf stuff, the two of you did a great job documenting your trip!!! :clap

Bump for a really well done RR.

- Chris
  17. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    I love your XR650L. That 6 gallon tank looks awesome.

Did you reinforce the rear sub-frame at all?
  18. header

header Chris

Oddometer:

thats an xr650 R not an L. they look a little alike but thats about it.
  19. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    My bad. Still is a nice bike tho...
  20. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    ill agree with that! its about what im going for with mine. if you would like to see mine do a search for hoosier national and xr650r in the ride report area. i just started a little report. there will be lots of photos when i finally get time to finish it.

[​IMG]