1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BigDog & Gaspipe Do The TransAm Trail West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Jun 22, 2006.

1. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome that this came to the top now. This ride report is the first time I had heard of the trans-am-trail and the first that I had read about TE610s.

This coming Friday (6 days from now), I am going to start the TAT in OK heading west. I'm riding an '06 TE610. (Not BigDogs old bike, but identical)!!!
  2. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    g.mccormick --- Hope to see your ride report too --- the TAT is on my list of rides to do (and perhaps on a TE610 someday)!
  3. chris1044

chris1044 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up an 06' 610TE, and this thread came up in a search...have been reading on and off since Sunday, and just wanted to chime in. Thanks for the awesome write up and more motivation to ride TAT...11 years later and people are still reading the tales and enjoying the pictures of this epic ride.

Bump to the front page...likely one of the oldest threads to be revived, and well worth it IMO
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had no idea this ride report was still on AdvRider-----------took me awhile to find it and almost gave up.

What a memorable ride me and GasPipe had.
    I'm sure we weren't the first to ride the Western TAT but think we were the first to use a gps tracklog to navigate--------- as at that time Sam Correro didn't know what a tracklog was. Years later I gave Sam lessons on tracklogs and working with them---and now he's an ace at it. I created one looking at his maps and rollcharts and then left them at home----just used the gps. If it had broke we would have been shit out of luck.

Probably a long time ago--but at some point there was a list of top ten ride reports and this ride was on that list for along time. So------if you haven't read it I think you'll be entertained.
    Probably lots of better stories of the Western TAT out there---but this was an early one.

Anyway---------it was a memory for me I'll never forget. It's on my top ten.

Between unbelievable snow
    [​IMG]

A Jillion re-routes
    [​IMG]

An Invasion of crickets
    [​IMG]

Unbelievable scenery
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mudholes from hell
    [​IMG]

The best picture I ever took in the middle of nowhere
    [​IMG]

40 billion flat tires
    [​IMG]

More snow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We------------Made It !!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR
  6. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    The BEST Mark
  7. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim,
    That Husky 610 I rode is in Indiana ----and a guy restored it.
    I could have bought it back very reasonable--------but i'm thru with carbs.

BigDog
    Tobz, TaZ9 and HoneyBunny like this.
  8. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    Very Kool....That Bike will probably live forever .... very well known Adventure Rider owned it ... True Story.
    gaspipe likes this.
  9. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump to the top. Big Dog you and Gaspipe did real good. Great report and great riding. Enjoyed reading this very much. Riders let’s keep this at the top for a few years. All the best to both of you. If ever you roll to my corner of the continent, do let me know. Merlin
    gaspipe likes this.
  10. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    this is one great ride report. It's really a shame that Gaspipe, who was so instrumental in making this site what it is (or was, really) is all but forgotten now.
    gaspipe, jonz and kennyh like this.
  11. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Someday, I'll start tellin' stories again. For now, I'm glad that these old relics still get read once and a while. Still ride almost every day.
    Tobz, Bob and conibear like this.
  12. Tobz

Tobz Ne'er-du-well

Oddometer:
    I sold that Husky a few months ago, and sort of regretted it before it left the driveway. It was running and riding like new, and it lives in NC now.

Was inspired by ride reports like this one when I restored it winter of 2015/16

Most of the original bodywork was long gone before I got it, and it was a bit tired.

88B3FF34-0B7C-4D94-BF25-292E074AF0BF.jpeg

ABA72F1D-317F-4EC2-8A91-5F4406384280.jpeg
    8C0C0326-9045-401A-909B-B5454345F0D4.jpeg
  13. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have two big brothers to that yellow and blue machine in my garage; Husky TE630's. Both now belong to a rider from the UK, and one of the bikes was mine. (Angus are you out there??) The 610's and 630's are really great machines! Definitely worth taking care of and refreshing if needed.