BigDog/HairlipDog ride the Wyoming portion of the TAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigDogAdventures, Jul 8, 2020.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    This ride was done in late June and early July, 2020.

Let's call this story "2 Dogs Do The Wyoming TAT".

I did this ride with my good friend Mark Boesch---known as "Hairlip Dog" on ADV--------I'll let him explain how he got that name----it's hilarious. :lol3

This ride hardly any pre-planning at all.
    It went like this -------"Mark you want to get out of the house and away from all this mess and ride the Wyoming TAT ?????"
    He said "YES".
    24 hrs. later we both were headed to Newcastle, Wyoming-----the start or end of the Wyoming TAT.
    We hauled our bikes up there and down there---I'm from Illinois and he's from Montana.
    We both rode 250's-------we both like to pick a bike that shines on the trail and ride-----not on getting there or home. We both have big adventure bikes.
    We have been friends and riding buddies for years---our rides together have always been in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Utah (the best states IMO).
    I was at Sam Correro's about a month ago and he gave me the tracks for this ride---so I already had them.
    This is Sam's house---that's me in the Black Jacket with a good friend Charles Williamson and his son.
    Sam was gone at the moment when we went by as he was out rescuing a downed rider not far away.
    I love this sign in front of his house.
    [​IMG]

I really don't have any idea if anybody's ridden this----but the thing is------ I couldn't find one story on here or anywhere else----so am thinking this might be of great interest to riders looking for a new ride. I know I was. Maybe 7 million people have done it ??? I don't know. I did find one story with video's------a guy did it in a jeep---it was interesting and some of the stuff he saw we were on the lookout for.

So we were going into this ride kind of blind------which if you think about it made the anticipation of how this was going down very exciting.

I called Sam before we started the ride and asked if he had any advice.
    He said "There is more dirt than any other ride I've laid out-----you better hope it doesn't rain----and be careful and don't get hurt as it's a very long way to anything"

Now I'm skeert :muutt
  2. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Teaser pics.

We kind of got arrested----details to come.
    [​IMG]

Many signs along the way that Sam put out to guide us (My name is Mark Sampson).
    Thanks Sam !!! We don't need a GPS or rollchart-----just follow the "Samson" signs.
    [​IMG]

When we weren't herding cattle we were running with the wild horses---giddy up now !!!!
    [​IMG]

Scenery like this was hard to take.
    That is fresh snow that happened in the nite----Southwest of Atlantic City, Wyoming.
    [​IMG]

No this is NOT Utah
    [​IMG]
  3. JoToPe

JoToPe JoToPe

Oddometer:
    In from the beginning this time.
  4. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    O'yeah! You had me at arrested!
  5. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    We have quite a few video's on the ride that we will insert in the story as it goes on but I couldn't wait for you to see this one Hairlip Dog took !!!!!!
    Awesome Mark !!!

6. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful !
  7. gianttrack

gianttrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! In!
  8. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heck Ya, all in!!
  9. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looking good! :thumb
  10. HairLipDog

HairLipDog Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that Big Dog has everyone's attention I will get to the beginning of the story. Day one started as uneventful as possible with all of the anticipation that this will be a great ride. Shortly, we rode thru a bunch of cattle and as they always seem to go in the opposite direction you think, we slowed and let them move. We stopped to look at the country and a truck pulled up and asked if we were having any trouble. I will let Mark fill you in with the conversation that took place since I was too far away to hear. Nice guy with a lot of land.

As it happened this would be the only day with a mud hole we would go through. As with all mud holes, I seem to pick the wrong path. I got off a tire track that I figured would be the best route and couldn't get back in. Of course Mark went right past me. At least I didn't tip over. Attached video from my perspective.

11. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Well------it didn't turn out as bad as it could ------glad your hear.

Hey Brian----and all the rest------hope you enjoy this----I haven't put a ride report on AdvRider in years---and wanted to share this one.
    Blakebird and Cannonshot like this.
  12. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I Hauled me and my Honda 250 rally to Newcastle, Wyoming where we would start our ride.
    It took me 2 days to get up there from Illinois and on the way I found a nice place
    to camp in Ansley Nebraska in the city park for the nite. Mark was coming down from Montana and had an easy one day drive. $10 for the nite and they had water sewer and electric if you needed it.
    It was a tiny town----I have found many little campsites like this across Nebraska and Kansas---------some free.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had just bought this klim full mesh jacket-------expecting hot weather.
    The zipper in my 17 year old First Gear Jacket had finally failed me.
    We spent the first nite in the Lodge in Newcastle, Wy and they let us leave our trucks there. I have never arranged a place to leave my tow vehicle doing stuff like this--------just roll into town and something always come up.
    [​IMG]

Our first day was awesome------seems we spent much of the ride herding cattle and avoiding
    what Mark called "Speedgoats"---------antelope. We saw thousands of each.
    Mark was riding his Yamaha WR250R--which was flawless the whole ride.
    We had decided to leave our big bikes at home. It was a good choice.
    Mark is either wanting me to pull his finger----------or-------maybe it's day one.
    [​IMG]

Typical road closure you'll find riding stuff like this.
    You could ride to the right around it--------or thru the barrier--I rode over the bridge
    thru the barriers and it didn't fall in.
    Another barrier later on bit us squarely in the ass.
    [​IMG]

When you ride with Mark----there is always plenty of "Wiley Wallaby" black licorice.
    [​IMG]
  13. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    In for more
  15. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Hey BobBob---------that's the name I gave Bob when riding with him----long story.
    BD
  16. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark, thanks for some COVID-19 reading entertainment. BTW, there's a fellow riding the TAT from Oregon to Missouri right now. They're in Idaho currently. On YT, his channel is Blancolirio, and he does periodic video updates.

Timmer
  17. Bob

Oddometer:
    Hey Timmer, what are you up to?
    I don't remember his ADV name but he has ridden in Idaho a fair amount, and has some great videos. Ill have to check his TAT progress.
  18. Bob

Oddometer:
    I might be headed out that way soon, have to see what you found.
  19. HairLipDog

HairLipDog Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are welcome Timer. Mark and I were reminiscing the past BOM rides. I hope things change before we are too old to do that again. I will keep posting but not until evening hours. Enjoy Big Dog's input.
  20. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bob, We're hunkered down here in Burien, WA where I've been doing a lot of house projects and doing the social distancing thing. We're hoping to get to MT this summer to show my wife some of the cool things I've been able to see on the BOM rides. I'll likely not be on the WR, but in our 4x4 PU and TT.