BigDog/HairlipDog ride the Wyoming portion of the TAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigDogAdventures, Jul 8, 2020.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess we didn't say------this ride was done in late June and early July, 2020.
    As far as temps-------We were pretty cool just a couple times---maybe just one.
    But were never hot.
    BD
  2. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Day 5
    Boulder Inn----to cafe next door-----------to Boulder Inn.
    .3 miles ---all walking.

Hang on to your cowboy hats---dig in with your spurs----this day was one not to be forgotten :rofl:rofl:rofl

Rained all night-------hard----then rained harder----then harder.

Snowed heavy just East of us----right where we were headed. All night long.

We woke up early on this day 5 and checked the weather-------was going to rain and snow hard all day and into the night----we weren't going anywhere.

Well--------------we got hungry finally and ran across the parking lot in the rain to the cafe next to the Boulder Inn.

Ate like pigs----bought all kinds of stuff in the store. This store was one of those stores that you'll find in very rural America that has anything you need. Nothing you don't. Hammers, spurs, saddles, beer, tools, tire patches, Wiley's Wallaby licorice, ice cream, chewing tobacco, cowboy hats---real ones ----not those fake plastic ones. Friendly nice people that will smile and say Howdy ------instead of avoiding eye contact.

Bar had a few drinkers in there smoking cigarettes like it was 1969. Nobody cared------was waiting for some millennial to walk in and say something to them and watch them kick their ass back to Kalifornistan. "Hey Sea Bass"-------------"Kick his ass"......................I swore Sea Bass was in there (Dumb and Dumber).

So we wallered back to our spacious room---------turned on the furnace---took a nap and resisted the slight (very slight) temptation to turn on the TV.

Bout 1 PM----we woke and sauntered back over to the cafe for some grub.
    I said "What's on the menu" ?????
    She piped back----------"I'll fix something and you'll eat it"----------------OK :(:

Bought more stuff.
    Back at the motel we had a huge window looking East and we watched the rain coming down and the snow building in the mountain range to our East-------where we'd go the next day-------maybe.

Later that day I re-heated the 2 pieces of awful pizza we saved from yesterday in the microwave and it was awfuller.

Back to the cafe for dinner-------bought more stuff-------now HairLips rear bag weighed 132 lbs.

I finally gave in -------------turned the stinkin' TV on but hit the mute button before it had a chance to blast me with a bunch of news or other crap-----with only one eye half open I searched thru the channels till I saw something in black and white---------yeh Gunsmoke.
    Kept us from slitting our throats.

Nite Mark
    Nite Mark

We hope the next day---this would be us.
    With a suitcase full of Wiley Wallaby's black licorice.

dumb and dummer.jpg

BigDog
    td63, Ginger Beard, dano619 and 4 others like this.
  3. HairLipDog

HairLipDog Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    It gave us the opportunity to shoot the chains, reorganize the bags and throw out the garbage we created along the way. You know......granola bar wrappers, empty Wiley Wallaby licorice bags (8 or 10 of them). Whenever we stopped for any reason, BD would start whimpering and begging for a piece. Hate to se a grown man cry.

The whole time we were watching the rain wondering how bad the roads might be. Then we realized the road we were going to take is an all weather road so no worries. If we had hole up somewhere this was the perfect place. I commented that the further west we went the nicer and cheaper the motel rooms were.
  4. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    To clarify what HLD said "Shoot The Chains"----------let me explain.

That is some slang only just a few people would know what it means. People that have run with the likes of Road Dad, Dingweeds, High Five, TragicOverlander HLDog, Dr. Rock, Francine and others.
    We've ridden with Dingweeds a lot on our adventures----and when we stopped for the night to camp or whatever------- Dingweeds would proclaim it's time to "Shoot the Chains"

Oil them that is------ and he'd pull out the chain lube and oil everybody's chain-------that man has spent a fortune on chain lube lubing everybody's chain.
    Thanks Dingweeds !!!!!
    td63, Ginger Beard, utefan and 2 others like this.
  5. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    The official term for pizza prepared anywhere outside NJ, PA or NYC :lol3 Enjoying the ride! :lurk
    BigDogAdventures likes this.
  6. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol2 :lol2 :lol2 Bahahahahaha

Good to see you guys made the most of the weather gods pissing (literally) on your ride. Frickin' crazy to think about snow coming down in late June, but I know it's happened out here in the PNW too.

Look forward to hearing about how the ride goes once the weather clears :thumb
  7. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Day 6
    We abandoned riding the rest of the Wyoming TAT----we didn't miss much but weren't going to wait for the dirt roads to dry out for just a little bit of riding.

So---it was time to wing it back East. The road East out of Boulder was an "all weather" road (one that can be ridden in the rain)----we knew that as we had ridden it 2 years ago. I was on my Africa Twin and HLDog was on his Tenere.
    Here we are riding the same roads we were going to ride today---------2 years ago------big bikes. We had both just finished the Best Of Montana ride before getting out the big bikes for this ride. I think I rode my 690---I had hauled both bikes up in my van.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the small bikes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We could see these snowy moutains out our motel window---that is fresh snow.
    We plotted a route that would take us thru Atlantic City, Wyoming.
    The roads to there we had ridden together on our big bikes (Africa Twin and Tenere) 2 years ago
    and we knew they were all weather roads. Now back towards our start in New Castle.
    We had no idea of how awesome this was going to be.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

HLDogs Video--------South Pass City
  8. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    More Day 6

We've both been to Atlantic city before -------population About 57.
    I've got memories of this place and the campground North of here.
    1st time I camped there riding the Continental Divide Ride.
    2nd time----a bear poking around kept me up all nite---I got no sleep.
    3rd time---some guy on a BMW was struggling with the CDR route where he had gotten
    gps routes from some guy they call BigDog and just couldn't figure it out---I got
    him all straightened out.
    4th time---me and Dingweeds changed out his water pump in his WR.
    A place of memories----Oh yeah there was one other time I cruised into town on my 950 alone looking for lodging
    and the gal told me at the B&B "We don't take drop ins. ?????

Never been told that before ??
    [​IMG]

HLDogs Video

Out of Atlantic City I plotted a course East across BLM land. Never been on this road and it was awesome.
    [​IMG]

HLDogs Video-----Oregon Trail-----it's still there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HLDogs Video---Lander Cutoff

[​IMG]

HLDogs Video

Watercat, BigDogRaven, bomose and 4 others like this.
  9. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    More Day 6

I said it was awesome.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$50 campground fee------to put a tent in the grass------no shower--no nothing.
    I don't think so------we beat it back to Riverton to a motel.

We'd camped there before--but something changed.
    It is nice there right on the wind river gorge.
    I've camped here many times---------things change and are never the same.
    As Walter Mathou said in the movie "Grumpy Old Men" "I hate change"
    I've been that grumpy old man for years.
    [​IMG]

And here is my video of Day 6

A map of our Day 6 Ride
    [​IMG]

10. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was just up there starting the 22nd of June. Killed a few days getting the guys together, made a couple of days riding, then the Rain Vortex hit the entire area. Maybe after you were there. Man, those roads in WY can get grim when wet, and with days and days of rain, we cut our losses and took our big bikes (Africa Twins and a KTM 1290) on a little road ride. Best we could do. I have a second set of wheels and tires and after giving up on dirt, swapped to the street biased set. Had a good time anyway, but my teeth were set for something different.
  11. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:

^^^^^
    This!

^^^^
    And this!

Hot damn, that's a great looking track into the hills and beyond. Also looks like it was mostly fast riding on packed gravel, with maybe some mud thrown in here and there?

$50 for a tent camp site? Seriously? That's nucking futs, I griped about paying $30 for camping at the Alvord Hot Springs and that included full access to the springs. Sheesh - imagine you could find a mom-and-pop motel for not much more.

Laughed pretty hard on the 'we don't take drop-ins' comment - like a town of 57 is full-up of tourists?

Great update guys, look forward to the next :D
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    @liv2day ---------it was great to have you here the whole time.
    You never gave up on us.
    I've sure enjoyed all your rides a whole lot.

Who knows If we'll get to do anything or share it for awhile ????
    As your avatar says-------"Live To Day".

Somebody said on here a while back as he laid his head down to go to sleep.
    "Did I Do Everything I Could Have Done Today" ?????
    BD
    Ginger Beard and liv2day like this.
  13. HairLipDog

Oddometer:
    More day 6:

I am glad BD posted those pics of us from a couple years ago. I was 66 then, riding a 1200. 68 now riding a 250. Wonder what I will be riding when I am 78?

ewheels-ew-72-red.jpg Looks comfy! Heated grips and LED lights! I hope Mosko Moto will have bags for it.
    I am sure it will be piped and have Motoz tires. :lol3:muutt:loco

You know, waiting for the rain to end was completely rewarded with the next day' s fantastic riding. Living in western Montana often times provides views of fresh snow in the high country in June and July. It doesn't last long but makes me glad I got to see it. Wyoming is the same way. DSCF0130.JPG

On the way into South Pass City I happened to see a cemetery I had not seen before. I would like to have had more time to read the head stones but moving on this morning seemed to be best.
    DSCF0132.JPG

Skies were very dynamic today.
    DSCF0413.jpg

Mark paid me $500 for this shot when he saw it. :eek2
    DSCF0427a.JPG

Wonder what he will give for this one?
    DSCF0424 BW.JPG

One of the things we were able to do on day 5 was to review the pics and video we had been taking. I was very impressed with the quality of video his new GoPro produced. Mine pale in comparison. The image stabilization is fantastic and the captured pics come out great. Good job Mark!
    Watercat, BigDogRaven, bomose and 7 others like this.
  14. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update and photos
  15. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great update guys. For HLD, I didn't go down to a WR250r until 70. I'm still able to ride it 5 years later. You'll be okay. ;-)
    DragonJoe, Watercat and dickosaurus like this.
  16. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Day 07
    Riverton To Wright, Wyoming.

This was very interesting riding thru here.
    And it was beautiful even tho some of it was reclaimed land.
    This area was East of Riverton, Wyoming and we were just winging it.

[​IMG]

I told Mark that today was my favorite day of the whole trip.
    I think it had something to do with the fact we were just winging it and weren't following
    somebody's else's route. Just exploring and finding our way thru. It made it exciting not knowing
    how it would go or if you would find your way thru.

[​IMG]

Mark figured out that the rock they got out of here was use to make the roads thru here
    for the re-clamation. Mark's a smart dude.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As good as anything we'd ridden.
    [​IMG]

North thru the tiny town of Arminto we came upon this.
    Never heard of it before.
    [​IMG]

This was the only services out here for 100 miles.
    Man I loved it out here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a long, long way thru here with nothing but you, your buddy and your bike.
    [​IMG]

DragonJoe, Watercat, bomose and 9 others like this.
  17. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    More Day 7

A lot of this looked like Utah to me--------Mark agreed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pinch me
    [​IMG]

It was here I went to the right and up the hill and me and Mark got seperated for a bit.
    Made both of us nervous out here alone. It's a long way to anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I new the road came to the interstate at some point but had
    no idea if we could get past it.
    So I went straight thru to the town of Edgeton where we had planned all along to stay
    at a motel here............but it was closed down for good.

[​IMG]

Denises's Diner---these 2 girls were a hoot. As I waited for Mark to show up they fixed me a cheeseburger
    that was just like my mom used to make. I was thirsty and drank 3 glasses of water.
    A young man there helped me figure out just what in the hell me and Mark were going to do next.
    We made it to Wright, Wyoming where we found a motel---and a very big truck.
    This place had come on to very hard times with what was going on in the world and they
    were trying to survive---------the motel didn't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 7 Video

Our route today
    [​IMG]

bomose, Muscongus, VDG and 2 others like this.
  18. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Day 8----Our Last Day
    Back to Newcastle where we started.
    It was just a short pavement ride back to Newcastle

I told you we found a big truck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found out a lot about Mark I didn't know------he has done so many very interesting things
    and I enjoyed listening to all his tales..
    He supervised building the structure here. He had forgotten where it was and we drove right by it.
    Forget the name -------but it's the largest coal mine in the world.

[​IMG]

About 1,400 miles on our 250's--man with what's going on in the world.......
    We needed this ride !!!!!

Glad you all enjoyed this-----I still have never heard of or found a ride report of anybody doing this ride which really confuses me. I think it was published a year or so ago---not sure. I would really like to read somebody else's story of doing this.

19. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    The Butler map helped us out greatly---gave us the big picture.
    I've had this map for years---can't believe how tough these maps are.
    They are of such high quality I can't believe how cheap they are.
    Over the years traveling thru Wyoming this same map has bounced around in my tank bag
    for who knows how many miles.
    It's all marked up from previous rides and this one.
    You could easily make up your own ride from this map------there is so much stuff on here.
    I can see myself doing just that.
    I would like to come right back up here when it cools off on my Honda CB500X for a change. Ride easier routes on all weather roads and pavement-----yeh I think I'd like that.
    [​IMG]

I luv this map Sam Correro gave me.
    It's actually a huge sticker I put on the back of my enclosed trailer.
    [​IMG]
    Muscongus, VDG, Hans Petter and 2 others like this.
  20. HairLipDog

Oddometer:
    Believe me Timmer I am not giving up. Just slowing down. Let me know if and when you get this way.