BigDog/HairlipDog ride the Wyoming portion of the TAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigDogAdventures, Jul 8, 2020.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is the big picture of our ride.
    The Wyoming TAT kind of looks like a V
    The lower tracks are the TAT---the upper our route back.
    Map BigPicture.JPG
  2. BadgerND

BadgerND n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking around this site for awhile. Your trip convinced me to join. I used to live in Casper, and I've been on most every part of your journey. A lot has changed in Wyoming since I moved out in 1982, but a lot has stayed the same. I used to go out of my way to eat in some of the cafes out in the middle of no where. I stayed in a motel in Gas Hills that had dirt floors, back in the 70's. Your trip is bringing back some great and some horrible memories.
    ozmoses likes this.
  3. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do. It might be early to mid August when we make it over your way. We've been camped on the ocean this week. Headed home today.
  4. BadgerND

BadgerND n00b

Oddometer:
    The mine was an Exxon mine called Black Thunder, completed about 1976. I did a bit of work in there as well.
    Themastermike likes this.
  5. michaellmcc

michaellmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dearest Dogs,

Great trip, fantastic report, wonderful photos! Thank you.

I pulled out my Butler map of WY last night in order to get re-acquainted. A couple of us extended the COBDR by winging it from the CO line to Sheridan on largely dirt a few years ago. Ready to go again, and the weather history, tourist sites, etc., and from what I remember from living there a few decades ago, all point to September being a fabulous time to ride. So I will. Just need to get Sam's WYTAT download.

I don't find much mention of you camping, or any photos of campsites along the trail (that I recall), so I'm assuming you moteled it every night. Since I'm on a Ginormous GS, I prefer to ride that way and avoid the extra 94 lbs in camping gear. It's heavy enough as it is!

Regards,
    Mike
  6. Catastrophic Failure

Catastrophic Failure Catastrophic Failure

Oddometer:
    BigDog, thanks again for the RR :clap:clap The mix of super riding pics, personal stories and humor hit the spot again :1drink

Agreed on your bumper to bumper comment, IMHO just add some love for wide open Nevada and you nailed it.

2011 was our troop's last ride around Wyoming - that land still looks as good as ever!

44morris_Wyoming.jpg

Attached Files:

7. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    So glad you enjoyed it------went and read your HOT LAP of Wyoming---thanks.

And to michaelllmc--------we didn't camp at all. Tried to twice---first time in the Medicine National forest we couldn't believe what we saw---------side by sides I guess racing around the campground had created a huge dust cloud and we sadly went by---------the other wanted $50 to put tents on the grass-------no shower---------no nothing-------that's not right.

BD
    Catastrophic Failure likes this.
  8. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Think unofficial camping could occur if needed?

You have my Wyoming dreaming going on.....
  9. HairLipDog

HairLipDog Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard and Themastermike like this.
  10. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks! I hope to get out there on the Wyoming TAT next summer, this helps.
  11. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report Mark!

I thought that South Big Horn / Red Wall sign looked familiar...….. that section is on an alt of my Northern Route.
    I came east from just north of Shoshone - there was a sheep ranch back in the day that had a million sheep in that area.

All good riding!
    Cheers!
  12. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The two of you have put together a well done RR. Excellent photos of some SILENT PLACES. TAKE CARE PETEPILOT. By the way h.l.d. western Montana sure is pretty.
  13. HairLipDog

Oddometer:
    Born and raised here. I left for awhile but found my way back. Between here and Idaho there is no better place IMHO. Glad you enjoyed the RR. Reflecting back on the ride I believe I liked the IDBDR a little better. Wyoming has some great country but I prefer the mountainous areas in the state.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. HairLipDog

Oddometer:
    I need to mention that BD is the one responsible for organizing the ride and the ride report. He is the Jedi Master of those things!
    allengt and Timmer like this.
  15. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are correct about Idaho. Although especially true of northern Idaho up towards British Columbia . Have you been to the Polebrige bakery? A touch n.w of Glacier Park. Wonderful cinnamon rolls. Expect you have taken many fine photos of that country.
  16. HairLipDog

Oddometer:
    You are right. Only drawback I see in Polebridge is the long winters.
  17. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow i'm glad I didnt miss this great report @BigDogAdventures and @HairLipDog ! Seeing you two brings back great memories. Miss you and hope to catch up again one of these days.
    Cheers! ERIC & STEPH
  18. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Hey you two,
    So glad to hear from you-----been awhile since we rode together in Montana. I'll never forget how you handled your big KTM 2 up on that ride-------I was so impressed. Look at me now---got old and riding a little 250 :lol3

I think I was riding a 690 on that ride-------it blew up a year or so ago.

BD
  19. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! Thanks! You where on your KTM 350 that ride.. i remember cause i'm younger! Hairlip on his S10 and gimped his knee on baby head rut section from hell. But you two still look great! I'll be sure and post up a link to you from our MOTOFEST so you can see the event. Take care Brother!
  20. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Reading this was a great way to wake up this morning!