BigDog--Tales Of The "Trans Wisconsin America Trail"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BigDogAdventures, Jun 13, 2008.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Duh, that's what I meant, you were there earlier Friday.
    We did part of the trail near Clam Lake and the campground, but when we started heading south it got too slick (and wet and deep), for me and the KLR anyway.
    The TWT sounds really cool.
    BigDog, hope to see you at the FCT this fall:D
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    The video is all packed up and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

I was hoping you would ad some of your pictures Chad---got any more ???
  3. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike,
    I kind of doubt I hit the FCT again----I've so tired of going to the same places and have relegated myself to only riding new territory. I think I've ridden the FCT about 6 times. I sure have a lot of good memories there--such a beautiful area to ride.

I really got bent on riding Chadds Wisconsin Adventure ride------since most of it I had never ridden and it was close to home.

Remember when I crashed there in the rain------hard--on my DRZ--and had to go home ?? I think that was 10 years ago----it was the worst crash I've had in over 10 years. High siding is no fun :huh

I never thought I would say this---but I've even tired of the Creel--Copper Canyon area of Mexico-----on to new territory !!!
  4. kbear

kbear Mudbiker

Oddometer:

No link, this article was in the July print issue. Somehow that gets to me before the AMA changes their online issue. Go figure.
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nice route Chad! :thumb

Nice report Mark! :thumb
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I understand. To liven up the FCT I bring nOObs and watch them deal with the rocks:D I don't get out as much as you. The Divide was my biggest adventure. Everything else is kinda paling by comparison.

That was in Oct 2000 near Mena when you crashed. As soon as I saw it I started wondering where we were gonna get the MEDEVAC chopper to land:eek1 I still remember you on the ground unable to talk until you got your breath back. Glad you were OK. Good times:huh :D
    Wife wants to move to WI in the next couple of years so I will get plenty of chance to ride the area. The TWT looks like fun.
  7. iyeager

iyeager I lost my avatar...

Oddometer:
    Land of Dorothy and hesitant slave-owners
    :clap

Great report Mark. Was glad to finally meet you at SLAP this year, I'm going to have to put some miles underneath my tires with you some time. You obviously know all the cool spots to hang out.

Ian
  8. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    Nice report guys!:clap

Hey Mark, Congratulations on getting published in the AMA rag! Very cool! :thumb
  9. bravnug

bravnug ESTEBANOS!

Oddometer:
    Mark, do you still use US Roads & Rec. for your garmin or have you found something better?

Dan
  10. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    The only thing I've found with even more detail is Topo---then sometimes it's just not what you are wanting to look at.

So here is what I always load before a big ride where I would need all the navigation tools possible to help me out.

I load 3 different kinds of maps.

First I load the autorouting stuff---I have Navigator V8---but the old City Select is fine. I never thought I'd use this stuff when it came out--but I do--comes in handy sometimes.

2nd I load the very old Roads and Rec----as you know it has great detail of all the back roads---creeks---camp spots--etc. etc.

3rd I'll load topo

So while riding I'll turn on whichever map is most useful for me. If I run out of detail using the autorouting stuff I'll probably turn on R & R and see if that helps---it will usually show more roads than available with the autorouting stuff. In the Colorado mountains on trails I've found that topo will sometimes even show single track trails.

The thing is---the gps software people are totally ignoring updating R&R---because the average joe bloe is navigating to Grandma's house in the soccer van. That's where the majority of buyers are.

I don't think they'll ever update it. Even tho R&R data is so old-----I find rare spots it doesn't help out.

Of course R&R and topo are not going to autoroute you---just point you in a straight line to a navigation point.

None of this stuff is perfect---same thing with maps--they ain't perfect---and that's where we get the gps maps---the gps maps ain't no better than a paper map----depending on detail course. Of course the gps maps lets you do so many more things than a paper map--mainly knowing where the heck you are on that map.
  11. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    BigDog, thanks once again for a great adventure, helped me get thru another week of healing.

Thanks again for the DVD's, they rock, the footage is great and can not wait until the next one is available. Every time I get the FEVER to ride I watch them over and over, amazing what I see that I bet you didnt because you watching the road.

Only issue I have with this report is I did not see my Mountain Bike puffing blue smoke leaving a trail of dead insects to follow.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  12. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    Awseome pictures. It amazes me how you can make a flat land trip in the heart of America so fascinating. :clap :clap
    When you coming back to Idaho? There is a trip on the East side of the State I want to take the SE on. I know I will get lost, but am going to give it a go anyway.
    Mike