BigDogs Life with a Husky 2006 TE610

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BigDogAdventures, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    That's right Nate, you need to ride American. You too Dino. Hey Dino, I'll make you a sweet deal on one of my ATK 605's :deal
    :rofl
  2. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    I think i'll be happy for quite a while w/ the BRP. Big tank and damper this week. Fifteen tooth, smog block off, skid plate and top triple last week. Still trying to figure out the sure fire way to cold start but haven't gotten frustrated yet. The bike starts hot every time w/ one or two kicks. This Husky does look sexy though. The cycras are the shit too. If I have any pennies left, i'll get a set for the pig.
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    It happened---it was way too cold to ride----really frosty, frozen really slippery ground--thawed and way more slippery--nasty----38°---Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Screw it---- I'm goin' ridin' But I ain't gonna get it dirty---just cruise around and not get it dirty---heck it ain't broke in yet
    [​IMG]
  4. bigdog1971

bigdog1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BigDog those stickers on your hand guards look dangerously simular to a Honda wing!! WTF.

Seriously tho, have you tried to get a frame skid/bash plate yet? are they available.
    And back to my original question have you managed to go any distance on it yet? if so whats your estimate of how far you will get to a tank?

Scotty
  5. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Not !!!!!! I just couldn't help myself---found myself going places I wouldn't have taken the KLR or 950---got her good and muddy and had great time and put about 120 miles on it.
    [​IMG]

I was hoping to get to ride it in its element soon and I found out a whole lot of things about this bike------the first----I really like this bike. :D

I finally got my heated grips on and plugged in my heated vest, arm chaps and gloves and set out to run the battery dead as nobody---I mean nobody can tell me how many watts the alternator puts out. The bottom line----I kept an eye on my volt meter on my GPS and it handled it all extremely well---with just a little RPM it kept 14.5 volts---better than my 280 watt KLR. I was so happy with that.

The 6 speed tranny is so slick, I rarely used the clutch---you have to be cooking to get it in 6th gear offroad. I'm sure some maybe most will gear it down for the tight stuff---I don't do the real tight stuff that much anymore--I'm leaving the gearing alone----I do not want to lose any of the top end-----got to keep up with GasPipe on his fast Mexico runs !!!

Better find neutral before you stop.

I finally revved her up and found more power I didn't know was there---when broken in it is going to be fun to hit that range now and then.

Seat------keep it in the rough stuff so you're not sitting down :rofl I love riding standing up---good thing huh !!!!

Carburation---spot on---it is perfect---never a hiccup---no popping at all on deceleration tells me it is not lean.

Computer button---way too small and hard to push----especially with gloves on.

I'm not use to getting the wheel up at all for a big hole after spending so much time lately on the KLR and 950----just wack the throttle---no jerk on the bars needed.

Low fuel light came on at about 110miles----the dealer filled it up when I bought it but I don't think he filled it all the way. I haven't a clue yet on gas mileage. Why the idiot low fuel light ????----there is no reserve on the petcock---either on or off---that's it. Maybe you could use the left petcock as a reserve---I don't see why not.

The seat height is very tall at 37". It's what you need for serious offroading which requires very good ground clearance and long travel suspension. After riding offroad bikes all my life this doesn't bother me at all.

Always fires right up hot or cold. Remember the accellerator pump---don't let your buddy just keep wacking that throttle in the garage.

I don't know if the tires suck or not---it was really slippery out and some more aggressive tires may have had some problems anyway.

The thing I hate the most---maybe the only thing I hate----there is a seperate key for the gas tank---I don't even want a locking gas cap, let alone one with a seperate key. I was careful to lay it out before going riding so i would have it-------left it anyway :vardy Had to go back for it. That just is really dumb---------of me---and Husqvarna.

High beam is out---don't know why--will check it out.

The nice little plastic rear rack that came with it is going to be fine---I strapped a little bicycle tail bag to it for today--but will get something better later.

If you bog the motor down to low----it doesn't shake and rattle at you like some other bikes I've had.

Did I say I like this bike ??

Although the jury is still out----I don't think I'll ever pack camping gear on this bike (tent)---I may adventure tour on it---but will use the GasPipe tarp method or motel it. Yeh----GasPipe--you knew I'd see the light someday.

Yes BigDog1971 there are a couple skid plates out there--one good--one bad--I just haven't got to it yet.

And I dont know yet how far I can go on a tank of fuel-----this is a big thing for me to know to---the next ride I will get an accurate mpg figure. I can't wait to get this figure.

No spark knocking--I'm sure the dealer put some good stuff in it.

Not as comfy as my KLR on the pavement, but handles excellent--very stable.

I'm still thinkin'
  6. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Yeh--those are tacky aren't they---yeh, they gotta go !!!
  7. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I am even more impressed with my dealer---Halls Cycle in Springfield, Illinois. I've had the bike 2 weeks-----I have my title and plate already--don't kown how they did that.

I ordered some spares over the phone--had them in 3 days. You can't beat that. I butchered the kickstand bolt (don't ask)----couldn't believe they had one in stock--who would be so dumb to butcher a brand new kickstand bolt--I guess they knew there was one guy out there.

I think my best friend is going to take the next 610 that comes in to Halls shop. He likes it --a lot.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I'm probably stuck riding my 640 Adventure for another year or so, but the new Husky sure looks nice. KTM had better come up with a suitable replacement for the LC4 soon or I'm jumping ship.

I rode Husky's back in the day and wouldn't mind returning to my roots. Hopefully the aftermarket will catch up with the 610 in a year or so.

Keep posting on this great bike!
  9. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    2whlrcrr----the KTM has a couple things on the Husky---fuel capacity and the ability to carry much more weight (gear)---but I guess this is at the expense of much more gross weight. I think some people would not want the Husky for those 2 reasons.

I just can't see someone attaching hard panniers to the Husky--I just don't think it was made with that in mind.
  10. jonb

jonb Montana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought we were going to have to wait until Spring! We're covered in snow and ice here in Montana. It was 0degreesF this morning.
    Some of us are wondering what you think you'll be able to cruise at comfortably on the highway, how wide the gear box range is. So add that to the mileage/tank question and keep it coming. I think you are on to something there for a great dual sporter, Montana/Mexico style.
    JB
  11. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    I just can't see someone attaching hard panniers to the Husky--I just don't think it was made with that in mind.[/QUOTE]

That's what you have the KLR for, right? Or do you see this bike replacing the "trusty one" :ear :D

Nice bike Mark:deal
  12. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    great thread. I'm in the market for something along these lines and appreciate the insight.

question. the 2006 Husky 510 Enduro is listed as close to 70 pounds less on the website. was it a consideration?
  13. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    BigDog...you're ride report and a deposit by a guy buying my KTM 450 EXE has me all worked up for this Husky. If you have a tach...how many revs at 60 mph, and what kinda tires did it come with...D606 or something Pirelli?
  14. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Karoos
  15. iDave

iDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your GPS has a voltmeter? :scratch
  16. Ergo

Ergo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb :thumb

Husky TE450, 510, or 610E???

17. starsvw

starsvw dreaming the dream.....

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming! This is on the short list for me eventually....this or the klr however the husky has some major advantages such as power and oh yeah 6 spd.........

looking for ward to further write ups!
  18. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '03 TE610E will run less than 3500 rpm(on stock analog tach) at 60 mph. With stock gearing(15/45) will work in easy single track, cruise at 70 mph and go over 100 mph with revs to spare. The '06 is similar.
  19. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

That's what you have the KLR for, right? Or do you see this bike replacing the "trusty one" :ear :D

Nice bike Mark:deal[/QUOTE]

No I don't see it replacing my KLR-------I will still use it for Adventure touring carrying full camping gear--and not doing severe offroad. Hi Joe :D
  20. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I think most Garmins have the option of showing the voltage display---I know for sure the GPSIII, IV, V, 176, 176C, 276, 276C have it----as I have owned all of them. It's an option that can be shown on the screen. It's probably useless to most people---but I seem to run bikes with minimal charging capacities and run a lot of heated gear and push it to the limit----so I keep an eye on the voltage when I do that. In warm weather I turn that option off and put something else in there such as altitude.

Sometimes on my KLR I'll run heated grips, vest, arm chaps, gloves leg chaps and intermittent 100watt high beam--since it only puts out 280 watts---I'm on the edge and I know it---when idling thru a town I have to turn something off or I'll have a dead battery. In the daytime on a cold day---I have a headlight switch I added to help things out.