BigDogs ride to the CDT monument---some New Mexico Dirt.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BigDogAdventures, Jan 13, 2019.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the ride report, thanks for sharing.

Eric
  2. Essbee

Essbee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cannot believe the condition of those roads out there in the middle of nowhere, I guess low rainfall is part of the reason, but do they get graded regularly?

Nice RR...stunning country!
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Hey Essbee,
    I have no idea about the upkeep of the roads.
    It was the first time I’ve been on them.....or heard of anybody going out there .
    I’m sure many have.....but I just went out there and found my way thru ........navigating to a waypoint in my gps.
    I wish I could remember where I got it from but I don’t?........
    Sure was a hoot.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    :ear:ear:ear
  5. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The US Border Patrol uses those roads 24 hrs. per day. That is why they are kept up so well. Many miles like that . Big bike friendly with decent tires.
    Essbee likes this.
  6. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BigDog, I’m sorry I missed you. I’m building a home along Cave Creek in the portal area. Animas is the closest fuel to me. I would have loved to ride to the monument with you. chip
  7. MudDodger

MudDodger n00b

Oddometer:
    Big Dog, I looked at your web page, what happened to your WR? Still have it?
  8. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    No I don't have the WR anymore--------I stupidly sold it and was just riding my KTM 690 in it's place.
    Those 2 bikes had the same purpose for me--------about the same weight and I used the 2 for the same type of riding.
    The WR got the last laugh as my 690 blew up. So then came the Honda 250 Rally.
    I bet the WR is still laughing :lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
    Bob likes this.
  9. MudDodger

MudDodger n00b

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine, Paul, met you in 2010 as he was attempting the TAT on his XR650L. He was impressed with your WR and got one. He’s been everywhere including dead horse on that thing. I bought a 2009 WR250R with 178 miles for $2000 (I have proof!!! It was immaculate) last summer. I’m building it up for a TAT run and for some BDR’s. I was hoping you still had your WR info up!
  10. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    The WR build thread is still there---------I just don't have the link to it on my website anymore.
    Save this link if you want.
    http://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm

My buddy Road Dad has about 130,000 on his WR.
  11. rvsparky

rvsparky Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chip Stevens, Do you know if you can ride ON the border from Columbus to Douglas ?? Google earth shows a trail but didn’t know if it was open or private.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  12. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a ride report some time ago by a couple of Border Patrol agents that rode from around El Paso almost to San Diego along the border. Got into words with other agents on legality. I rode from Animas south to the border, then to Douglas and Nogales. Great route.
    rvsparky and DesertDonor like this.
  13. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been over part of it from Douglas east. A lot of the private roads are open. Some private roads have “please close gate” signs on them. Because of the drugs going through there I don’t like to go alone. If drugs are cashed somewhere and you see them leave them alone. The ranchers say someone with a high power rifle is usually watching over the drug cash.
    rvsparky and DesertDonor like this.
  14. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very curious as to your thoughts WRR verses Honda CRF250 L ralley?
  15. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I put about 80,000 miles on my WR---solid never broke down----stupidly sold it as I was riding my KTM690 a lot-------which blew up at 18,000 miles.

I've only got about 4,000 on my Honda now----headed off with it tomorrow for a few more thousand.

My take without getting into extreme detail is that the WR is more suited to nastier terrain as it is lighter and less stuff to break----neither are dirt bikes.

The Honda is better suited to a bit easier terrain (only because it's heavier) and traveling more comfy---hate to use the word comfy but it is. The windshield, even smoother motor and 2" longer wheelbase make it better for traveling. Just put a 3.5 gallon IMS tank on mine-----and ran it out of gas (a trial run at home) at 257 miles.

There might be more details on my website here.
    http://www.bigdogadventures.com/HondaRally.htm
    rvsparky, AZ TOM and Halen like this.
  16. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks much.
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I've had both bikes as well and agree with OP, in his abbreviated comparison. I'm selling my Rally but if you happen to be in S. AZ any time soon and I still have it you are welcome to take it for a spn. Overall I like it better than I liked my WR.
    AZ TOM likes this.
  18. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer:
    BDOG Ride report! Always a great read.
    :clap:clap
    Ladybug likes this.
  19. SquatBirdJunior

SquatBirdJunior Special Snowflake

Oddometer:
    Under the Earths Sun..........................Now
    There is a locked gate just west of Columbus. BP has the key and will open it for you, if one is around. It is just before the hill climb out of the farm fields. I though about dragging my bike under it, when BP arrived and opened it up. Once at the corner monument, it gets a little rougher, and then when you get back down along the fence(barb wire) it has some silty sections. Plus, if you are going to the CDT Monument, stop by Crazy Cooks monument.
    Looking south at the corner monument
    NMcorner.JPG
    Just south of the corner monument, gets a little rougher, no maintenance on the other side of the hill.
    nmbordersouth2.JPG
    Crazy Cook(2015)
    CDTCrazyCook.jpg
    Working on this GPS route, haven't done it, trying to tie it into with the Geronimo Trail

Attached Files:

rvsparky likes this.
  20. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    I have pondered that same route years ago--------never tried it but seems I remember your not allowed out there. My memory is vaque on it as I've slept so much since then.

BigDog
    motowest likes this.