Bigger sport tourer

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by NurseBill, May 29, 2021.

1. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Presently I own a Triumph Trophy 900 but eventually I want something the wife and I can go on. For a sport tourer the Trophy is on the cramped size 2 up for 1 normal sized person (her) and one really larger than normal (me). Alone I'm fine comfort wise but 2 up the old Trophy is cramped. I'm looking for bigger in the seating area. So I'm narrowing it down to an ST1300, FJR1300 and a Concours C14. Any ideas what one has the most room?

I have ridden a C14 and an old FJR with a bunch of time in between.

I have considered a cruiser which would be good as well but I'd like to keep something sporty around so I'd have to keep my SV650. A new Goldwing without the trunk is out of the question price wise. I may have to go with a cruiser just due to seat height.
    davyjones and 1greenmachine like this.
  2. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Just thinking outside the box a bit... have you thought about a Super Tenere?

It is a tall bike. You did mention seat height.
    Madman4049 and MCGMB like this.
  3. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    the ST1300 has the most room of the ST class. The C14 is more sporting, the FJR sort of in between. One day I went into buy an FJR. Sitting next to it tho was an ST1300, it just felt way more comfortable so I bought it. I put about 40,000 very happy miles on that bike. Used they are also a very good value and will likely outlast you. That said, I now own a Road King as my touring bike. It's big, and heavy, and dead stable into anything. With the right shield, seat, and bars it's also very comfortable, perfect for those 3-5,000 mile trips. The big-ass cruisers give you comfort and stability into anything. The ST's give you sport bike-like responsiveness but demand a bit more of you on the ergonomic scale. Where you fall on that continuum is up to you, but the longer I am out, the more I value stability and comfort, YMMV.
    dduelin, rauchman, BUZZARD II and 5 others like this.
  4. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking as a completely unbiased S10 owner, I think your suggestion is a good one.

The S10 is sporty enough, and a wonderful street bike, especially with ST tires (I use Bridgestone T30 EVO). Plenty comfortable with a torquey motor to easily pull two people.

And unlike many other bikes for sale used right now, the prices have not gotten out of hand. Quite the opposite.
  5. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly short. 5'7" with about a 29" inseam. Everything about ADV type bikes are good except the seat height kills it for me. I don't know how comfortable the wife would be on it either.

Thanks. At 48 I'm wanting more comfort. back when I first started riding (14 years old dirt and 16 years old street) I didn't really care about comfort. That being said, alone, my Trophy is plenty comfortable for an all day ride or weekend trip. I don't get the chance to disappear for a week or I'm sure it would be ok for that too. It is also 22 years old but it still runs well. It just plain isn't big enough size wise for 2 up for us to do anything longer than about an hour.

I'm kind of trying to pare down my stable of bikes to just a dual sport and a street bike. Currently it's my 99 Trophy, 18 SV650 and my KLX250/300. I think if I got a cruiser I might miss the sport bike so I'd have to keep the SV. I'm not opposed to owning multiple bikes but it is a hassle at times. The cruisers that kind of caught my eye were the CTX1300 and the Royal Star.
    T-34 and MHaz01 like this.
  6. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

I am the same height and inseam. Now, knowing your dimensions, I would not recommend the Super Tenere for you.
    Dirty bike and NurseBill like this.
  7. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't recommend one for me either :) Which does indeed suck because they are great.

Tiger Low if I was going the ADV route but those are way out of my price range
    Madman4049 likes this.
  8. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't discount the Honda Goldwing or the BMW 1600. I can negotiate anything on my GL1800 as quickly as the more sporting bikes on my garage, except when the road gets super tight like the Dragon or similar. I've not ridden the BMW, but it's said that they are even more sporting than the Wings. I have 100,000 miles on my GL1800 and would not hesitate to take it cross country tomorrow. I can't say that for most of the other bikes in my garage. If your pockets are deep, I hear the new generation Wings are more sporty than the previous generation. Just my 2c.
    mrbreeze and NurseBill like this.
  9. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    for what it's worth, I also owned an S10 for several years, a very nice bike an road worthy. Two issue tho I think you might hit:
    1. it's fully passenger capable but the passenger perch it up there. I never was able to get my wife to put up with it for long
    2. being a big-assed ADV bike it is tall. I'm 6'2" and I sort of got tired of being that high up, my guess is that at 5'7" you'd get there a lot faster.

'Sounds to me you want a touring cruiser. Harley FL's (Road King, Electra's etc) are the gold standard of the breed but are expensive. For a lot less you can likely find a used Kawi Nomad or similar that would work quite well for you. None of the bikes in that class are lightweight or for that matter rocket-ships but for going longer distances, comfort and stability matter more. They also tend to have lower seat heights which would make them a bit easier to deal with at stops. As that was a very popular form for many years, nice clean used bikes should not be that hard to find. 'Happy hunting.
    NurseBill likes this.
  10. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    I've had several largish sport tourers (C14, Trophy SE, Sprint ST, Sprint GT, VFR1200F) and have test ridden the other popular STs. Nothing comes close the K1600 currently in my garage for user friendliness for the inseam challenged. I'm about the same frame as you and the K1600GT with a GTLE seat is the only one I can flat foot on both sides. Not that flat footing both sides is an absolute requirement for me, but the heavier the bike, the more important low sear height becomes. That K1600GT feels 50 lbs lighter than a C14 just waddling it about. Even with a factory low gel seat, that C14 never gave me much confidence at crawling maneuvers.

Riding the FJR feels to me like humping a whale, spreading my legs wide, which made the effective seat height taller than it actually is. Trophy SE, OTOH, is built like a wasp - very svelte in the mid section, which made it feel second best to me below the K1600GT.

The big cruiser based baggers don't do anything for me. The foot forward ergo are better appreciated by tall riders that need that leg room for less bent knees. Shorter riders tend not to have that problem, at least not for me. I prefer to have the pegs under me, so they can help support my weight.
    T-34, swimmer and Dualsport4ever like this.
  11. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    davyjones and GeoAggie like this.
  12. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately my pockets aren't close to that deep. I have friends that one has the new Goldwing and the other has a K1600. Both are incredible bikes but far out of my price range . Lots of the bigger Japanese cruisers are under 6k so that might be what I have to do. Or just not take the wife.

I just don't see an S10 working out. Not a fan of lowering a bike as much as it would take for it to work for me.
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    If a touring cruiser is up your alley, check out the Yamaha Stratoliner. Basically a "road king" from Yamaha. I think they are incredibly cool looking, and there are a ton of them on cycletrader, etc.
  14. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    A liottle outside of the sport touring realm, but look at a Road King. Correct seat height for you, some good suspenders can improve the handling and ride, and there are plenty of seat options available.
  15. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I've owned all three.... two Gen II FJR's, two ST1300's, and a Concours 14. My wife liked the pillion on the ST1300 the best.
    Her favorite though, was the Guzzi Stelvio NTX - lots of room for her, and I liked the 8.45 gallon tank (and I'm a big Guzzi fan)
  16. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a Strat. It was a torque monster (100 hp/115 lb-ft) with plenty of room for two. Decent handling for a cruiser as well. I traded it on a T120. I think the dealer ended up selling it for around $4500 four years ago so I have to think there should still be great deals.
  17. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Ze, Zim, Zhey

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind going old school, look for a Honda Valkyrie from the 2000 era. Low seat, comfy, and pretty goddam fast.
    davyjones, srelegante and NurseBill like this.
  18. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really think you and the wife need to sit on all three bikes and if possible take all three on test rides to determine which bike fits you best. I've sat on the FJR and C14 and the seating position between the two feel very similar to me but what I have discovered is sitting on a bike and riding a bike are two entirely different things. I've sat on bikes in the showroom and the bike felt comfortable but then when I took the bike on a test ride I found out the bike was uncomfortable which is why I will never buy a bike unless I can take it on a test ride first.
    1 wheel peel and 1greenmachine like this.
  19. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think way outside the box. You'd be surprised how well this beast handles.

DSC_3876.JPG
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wrong answer. There is nothing you will ever ride (on the street) to any destination alone that would not be better than having your wife along. Build the relationship. Buy something low and comfortable for her. BTDT.

I ended up with a RK but a Valkyrie or Nomad or Stratoliner are comparable.
    SilentRay, NurseBill and rc51owner like this.