Bigger sport tourer

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by NurseBill, May 29, 2021.

1. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a good discussion so far. I was looking at the Triumph Trophy's myself years ago as a replacement for my R100rt, but never did find the right deal on one. Ended up going with a Sportster and couldn't be happier.

I like the Road King solution, or any of the Road King-esque copies. That type should be worthy of a good look. I'd suggest trying a Nomad before buying, if possible though. I worked on an early 1600 for a friend years ago, and he asked me to put a couple hundred miles on it to hopefully get an intermittent problem to show up. That was, hands down, the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden. May fit you like a glove though.
    NurseBill likes this.
  2. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was eyeballing them last year and there were bunch listed around $6-8k with low miles on cycle trader. I prefer the non-fairing version.
    NurseBill likes this.
  3. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that as well. I don't mind old school and with those, I can work on them.

I was kidding, guess I should have indicated that.

We've been together 30 years, married 27 years... 28 in November. I say about getting a bike for us and sometimes she's pretty indifferent about it at times. I ask if she would like to go if we did have something she could go on, she says yes. Sometimes with her I think it's a "spending the money" issue. Years ago, I'm talking like 20+ years ago in around 99 or 2000, I had a KZ650 and she went quite a few times on that but it was tight. I bought an 87 Yamaha Virago for her and I to both go on. Good looking bike, decent power, handled like a truck... she was on it less than 5 times in the 5 years I owned the thing. I get that we had a lot going on then too and not so much now.
  4. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did check out a Nomad I think last year, one of the 1600 ones, it was pretty comfortable. Most stuff with forward controls I hate, like my kid's Shadow 600. That is one of the most uncomfortable bikes I have been on but yet he's totally comfortable on it. It makes my legs hurt. Him and I are almost the exact same height. The Nomad wasn't bad at all. The RK is way out of my price range, I'm trying to stay under 6k. If it has to wait until next year then so be it. Just trying to get some ideas from fellow riders.

The only problem with a cruiser is I will have to keep my SV.
  5. Norcal_Rider

Norcal_Rider IBA Alumnus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take her with you to pick out a new (to you) bike. She gets invested in the project, you get to spend quality time with your spouse, and you get a new motorcycle.
    Win , win, win !!!
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife finds her lost youth on our Road King. Too long to explain but you never know until you get the bike that she’s comfortable riding with you.
    Oilhed and NurseBill like this.
  7. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you haven't already, pop in to:

https://cycle-ergo.com/

And select your height, inseam, and bike in question. This'll give you some idea about how the bike would feel -- compact vs open, upper body and leg angles, and so on.

Not the same as test riding of course, but I've found the perceived measurements and angles to be accurate.
    c1skout and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  8. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope that works. This is the same woman who took 2 months to pick out a car until I gave up and bought the last one we test drove.

Been there...done that.
  9. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    You can at least see how well you fit together on the bike.

Have you tried BMW R bikes (R1200RT, R1200R)? I was surprised how roomy & comfortable my R1200R is with a passenger, and of course RTs are commonly used to tour 2-up. We fit well, but that doesn't mean you will. R1200R gets somewhat close to your SV in a very 2-up compatible bike. But like I said, no idea how it would work for you. BMW Boxer bikes feel lower & lighter than they are when moving them around.

I'd love to tour 2-up on R. I also like the idea of doing it on a Road King, and if I were considering a big bike for that purpose I'd give one of those a try. Maybe even as a rental.

Good luck in your search.
  10. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    Given your requirements and budget, I'd say give the Trophy SE 1215cc some serious thought. it is a substantially larger frame - and more powerful - than your current Trophy 900. The pillion seat is capacious. I rode mine for almost 3yrs and liked it a lot.

You can find ones around the $6k price you mentioned.
    NurseBill likes this.
  11. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'm going to have to stick with a cruiser just due to the height of,pretty much everything else. I may have to wait, which is fine if that's what I have to do. The used market here is nuts with all for folks who got stimulus, PUA money and the added monies on unemployment.

We did go out and look around this evening, not much available. If we have to wait then I should be able to spend more on one.
  12. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, my wife actually likes the ST1300 more than the 1800 Goldwing when it comes to passenger comfort.

I do have a Givi trunk for the ST1300 cause the wife likes to be able to lean back against something.

EDIT: ** Could also be the Sargent Seats on the ST....
    NurseBill likes this.
  13. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to agree with Jim Moore, 97-03 Valkyrie, more cornering clearance than most cruserisque bikes, adequate power just sub 100hp and 100 tq, motor and transmission made for the big mileage, not a feet forward bike.

They can be had for reasonably good prices many for < $4000

Although my judgment could be a bit skewed as I have two of them for reasons I can’t quite explain

Oh and that sound of a flat six above 3000 rpm 3D7E680A-FF2D-43EA-906E-F5CC23896484.jpeg 30D82723-01F7-4159-AFFF-2E67112EBF12.jpeg
  14. DAD51

DAD51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few tweaks to the 2012 (or newer) ZX14r Ninja makes a good Sports Tourer. Raise the handlebars, add a Concours Seat, Givi 3-piece bag kit, lower the passenger and rider's pegs and a higher shield. I dropped 30lbs by replacing the mufflers and the factory Battery with a Lithium. P1070450 (3).JPG IMG_1313.JPG
    rauchman, fastring and NurseBill like this.
  15. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think we might just wait a bit. We have zero car payments so she was thinking bank that money we would be using for a car payment for a bike. We have money in the bank to buy something outside of what I'm willing to spend at the moment outright but she does not want to use that, which I totally get. Bad shit happens all the time. With me, its I buy a bike... a car dies or a furnace or something else.

The used market here is crazy at the moment although I am finding older stuff, generally carbed, that a lot of people are scared of these days. Carbs don't scare me at all since I have been dealing with them forever. I have my old mercury filled Motion Pro synchronizer, a good Vessel screwdriver and know how to use them. I do think a cruiser might be the ticket for us due to seat height. I'm ok with tall stuff with just me on it, an extra full sized human not so much.

Thanks for the ideas folks! I appreciate it!
  16. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah they are sweet. It's a bike on my short list. I used to work with an older guy in his 70's when I was working PT in nursing school who's son has one and it's been just sitting in his garage for years. Every time I see him I tell him if his son wants to sell it reasonable, let me know. So far, it's been a nope.
  17. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're thinking of possibly a cruiser, I second the Valkyrie. Put a set of Mustang seats on it and you're golden.
    Super stable at interstate speeds, super nimble **for a cruiser**, super comfortable for ALL DAY riding.

The torque curve comes in at only 1500 rpm, but the sound of it at WOT is just plain addictive.
    NurseBill likes this.
  18. coast range rider

coast range rider I'd rather be riding my Stelvio

Oddometer:
    Moto Guzzi Norge. Comfortable. Low seat height. Priced right. Great handling. Easy to service. Even looks good. I would get the 8V version, 2014 or newer.
    davyjones likes this.
  19. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the Goldwing years 2012 - 2017. Great bike reasonably priced, and you and your wife will enjoy it. I’m a big guy with a normal sized wife also. A friend of mine has over 500k on his.
    T-88 and NurseBill like this.
  20. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    ***comments below are based on the Tiger 800 variants***
    You discounted the Tiger pretty quickly. While it’s marketed as an ADV, the XR variants are pure standard bikes.
    My Tiger has been a great SUV for all sorts of errands, trips and travels. The subframe length and long-ish wheelbase make for a long tail and seat area. When you add a tail rack it’s close to 24” from your back to the edge.
    The XR-low came out in the second gen which also got some other upgrades raising the base price. You can lower an 11-14 800abs (XR) to the same height.