Bigger sport tourer

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by NurseBill, May 29, 2021.

1. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    I’d suggest adding the BMW R12RT to this review. A nicely used one can be budget friendly and there is a reason they are so well respected.

if you can, get a ride on one.
    SilentRay and NurseBill like this.
  2. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    FJR all the way. I’m a 30” inseam and flat foot it easily. Can stand up at red light to stretch if need be. Big bikes but they sit low enough and have enough power that once above 15mph the weight disappears even with a pillion.
  3. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did. If it were just me and in my price range, it would be a good bike to pick, probably better than my SV for me alone. I don't see my wife being real comfortable on it. Pretty much it's a cruiser or touring rig for her to feel right on.
    AwDang likes this.
  4. chipper44

chipper44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I keep looking to get something else to replace the ST 1300 I have but can't find anything. All I have to do is go out for a ride and refresh my memory on what a great bike it is. Just have to thank god that nobody bought it the couple times I've actually had it for sale. Find a nice one and set it up for your style and needs. Then ride it forever. I seriously doubt any manufacture will come out with bike of that quality again. Honda sure got this one right.
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gotta agree with ya. The seat makes all the difference.

But the best big sport tourer is the new Goldwing!​
    mrbreeze and NurseBill like this.
  6. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Agee that the new GoldWing is a sport tourer. My previous bike was a K1600GTL and I traded it in for a new GW with the DCT. This is a great bike for solo or 2up riding. I’m going to put ST1800 decals on it.
    mrbreeze and Oilhed like this.
  7. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    speaking of Nomads, I have owned a couple of them - a 2008 1600 and a 2010 1700. The 1700 is hands down the better bike. Much easier to handle at low speeds, and it can cover big miles easily. I traded it in on the Goldwing, because the wife like the GW better. I wouldn't go back, but I would love to own another Nomad. Maybe there is a Vaquero in my future? My one complaint about the 1700 was the flimsy saddlebags. I never did like them, but I certainly used them!
    NurseBill likes this.
  8. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree. The Roadliner / Stratoliner and previous gen Honda Vaklyrie just might be the best Japanese cruisers made. I used to own a Yamaha Roadstar cruiser (at that time in 2002, this bike was probably the closest HD clone you could buy from the Big 4), and while it was a little short on power, it was a great bike. Personally, I think of the Japanese brands, Yamaha makes the best cruisers, and they are a great value used.
    davyjones likes this.
  9. JHG67

JHG67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NurseBill you didn't mention whether you have the stock seat on your Trophy so perhaps a different seat may help. I had owned a 2003 Trophy 1200 for a couple of years (same chassis, larger 1200cc 4cyl) My wife and I are not small people (I am 6'2" 200lbs myself) but I switched to a Corbin seat with the backrest and that made a huge difference over the terrible stock seat.
    My wife said the Corbin with the backrest helped tremendously as the bucket at the rear kept her in place as well as the backrest gave her a bit more confidence and let her sit back a bit therefore opening up the cockpit some for both of us.

My wife still laments my decision to sell it as she said it was very comfortable after the seat change.
    just a thought.
    Good luck.
    NurseBill likes this.
  10. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The issue with the Trophy is it's height as well. I'm 5'7" and carrying a few more pounds than you are so it's both tall and cramped. As much as I want a sport tourer I think her and I would be better off with a cruiser.
    JHG67 likes this.
  11. JHG67

JHG67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya I hear ya. The t3 spine framed Triumphs can be tall, especially with a passenger on the back, which can make the weight feel even higher up. That is what made me eventually move on. Even @ 6'2" for me the Trophy was just a bit too top heavy for my liking.
    NurseBill likes this.
  12. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's REAL top heavy. I love the silly thing though and I have no idea why.
    JHG67 likes this.
  13. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1586217920787.jpg

It seems like a cruiser.. But kind of isn't. But it is but it's not. It's 750-800lbs but goes 0-60 like a supersport. It has 6 cylinders. It looks like a Transformer. It has an aluminum box frame. It has a single sided swingarm. It sports a 180 rear tire. It'll do 100mph all. Damn. Day. But then it's 50ft long and has highway pegs. It's almost as wide as a Fiat 500. It has fog lights hanging off the engine. Is it a sport tourer?

NO. IT'S A VALKYRIE.
    davyjones and mumu37 like this.
  14. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    ^^^Hopefully, it does not choose the rider as the one who dies.
    Rox likes this.
  15. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    After a dozen years and 180,000 miles I moved off a 2005 ST1300 onto a 2006 Goldwing some three years ago. What prompted the change was my wife who never rode with me went through a near death medical event and when she recovered she told me she didn't want to stay home anymore while I traveled places on the ST1300. So off we went together. I'm a bit less than 5' 7" and 29" inseam and a Wing is a piece of cake to handle solo or two up. We've put about 40,000 miles on this Wing in the 3 years and while I'd sell it if I went back to just solo riding it fits the needs of the initial post looking for a couple's 'bigger sport tourer'. Wings handle much better than people think if they haven't ever ridden one, with light neutral steering that is a joy on winding roads. The steering is lighter than the 2018+ GW too BTW. I demoed a 2018 Tour DCT in the spring of 2018 for 1000 miles trying to make up my mind between the bike I eventually bought (the '06) and the new one. A year later we rented a 2019 Tour DCT in western NC for a weekend and I couldn't wait to get back on my Oldwing. The limitation Wings have is ground clearance but compared to a Big Twin they have much more lean angle. There are a lot of GW pilots aging out of riding and very nice relatively low mileage 5th generation 2001-2010 Wings enter the marketplace all the time. The prices have dropped on nice examples of 5th gen bikes to $5 to $8000. I have other bikes to ride solo but I do not regret one iota selling the ST1300 and buying the Wing for the two of us.

TwoUpDragon.jpg
    fastring, davyjones, Rox and 2 others like this.
  16. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
    A couple of things to consider. The Road King ( I owned a 2020) is a good package but if you are short inseam you will have trouble when you try to paddle it back or forward. The floorboards front and rear, the primary, they limit you a great deal. And for the weight it really should have a reverse as standard. Even BMW offers that in their 6cyl K models but BMW has a limited dealer network which means a lot and you will be far too often buying rear tires. Back to the Road King, it handles sweepers well and tighter turns ok except for some ground clearance when leaned deep into tight turns........on smooth roads it rides ok BUT the suspension is trash straight from the factory. Despite what the faithful will tell you it is 1970 tech in the rear shocks which is why the dealers will have in stock very expensive upgrades. And the forks are not much better. The brakes are adequate and the cruise control is good and the motor is a real gem but dealers that ride tend to unload them by 40k miles. If you want to read some interesting tech discussions head over to Road King Riders. Some very knowledgeable people there that are very helpful.

The Gold Wing is more bullet proof and comfortable than any touring bike you will ever ride. I've talked to riders that have the latest Ultras to ride with their friends but their Gold Wing rolls out for the cross country tour because it is more comfortable. And that applies to the passenger too. It's no mystery why the passengers on the GL will fall asleep reading a book. Those 6 cylinders will run 400,000 plus without anything other than a valve check which is easy and usually needs no adjustment. The dealers are far more numerous and you'll only visit one for tires and oil changes which are too easy to do yourself. And the reverse is priceless. Once you have that you will never fret over a parking space. You can pick up used GL models that are over 10 years old with low mileage for a very reasonable price. There are many that are sold to riders that never go far just like the Harley market.

The latest Trophy has all the attributes of a great long distance bike but the factory did no marketing and so got few sales. Great motor and transmission, comfortable, handles really well and superb weather protection. The same can be said for the ST1300 but it lacks cruise control which is essential on long trips (Eurotrash keep your comments in Europe because you have no idea what a long distance ride is unless you roll across Russia). Honda screwed themselves and some loyal owners by never updating that model.

In summary, find a good used GL and it could be the last bike you will ever need or want. Or, for something really different if your SO would like to ride but is intimidated by bikes, get a couple of scooters and hit the back roads. Honda ADV 150 or similar.
    NurseBill likes this.
  17. davyjones

davyjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or something a tad smaller but just as capable: Yamaha 1100 Silverado or a 1300 Deluxe.
    MCGMB likes this.
  18. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or you can just get a CTX1300..

A Goldwing for the guy that doesn't want a 900lbs curb weight.. This was mine. Awesome bike. 782439f4452c2fffac98a4de7fef6e4b_zps2mjgka7c.jpg