Bigger tank help needed KTM 625 SXC

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DUTOMI, Apr 28, 2006.

1. NCMX1

NCMX1 The Yeti

Oddometer:
  2. AzStorm

AzStorm Lost in the maze

Oddometer:
    Just what I was looking for. Thanks!
  3. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Unless you need the fuel capacity, the IMS is pretty appealing $$$ wise. I found the KTM 18l tank really negatively effected how the bike handled. Of course, it carried the fuel too low IMO, the aqualine looks like it carries it pretty high up. Interesting design but $ticker $hock.
  4. Sol Erzenberg

Sol Erzenberg Lost somewhere

Oddometer:
    I have fitted the KTM 18 litre tank and comfort seat to my bike, I find it quite easy to ride tight single trails with it & it sure gives me better range than the standard 8 litre which is way too small.

Attached Files:

5. Sol Erzenberg

Oddometer:
    Bigger tank help needed KTM 625 SXC (cont)...

Attached Files:

6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    depends on your personal preferences... if you are asking what year plastics would match the color of that tank I would say only the earliest 640 Adventure (~1998 was orange) because the 2004- orange has sparkles :choppa
  7. the88tlc

the88tlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just got a 625, needed a bigger tank, and then needed the comfort seat. perhaps I am missing something very obvious, but I do not understand how to attach the seat? the 1/4 turn lock on my old seat, the reciever of this 1/4 turn is not close to the stud on the comfort seat.

do I have the wrong seat?
  8. ktmbmw

ktmbmw Not ridden in a while... I shall return.

Oddometer:
    I think you might have the wrong seat. I don't think the 'comfort' seat needed has the same latching mechanism as the stock SXC seat. The comfort seat you need will attach by two bolts through the sub-frame rails on each side.
    You can use the parts finder at Bike Bandit to look up the seat by part number and the associated diagram showing the mounting points.
  9. DustyWheels

DustyWheels Nomadic motorcyle traveller

Oddometer:
    On my 05 mdl SXC, the comfort seat mounts via the hole in the rail above the rear guard same as an adventure.

PN #57907340000
  10. pingo

pingo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. I have a question. Does anyone know if the Acerbis KTM 450 EXC tank on the picture would fit at all on my 2005 SXC 625 and if it would require any modifications?

[​IMG]
  11. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    no... 18and12 ltr lc4 and duke tanks.. and 28 ltr adventure tanks with supports.. first two need a 640e type seat and 28 needs an adventure seat.

you might be able to make it fit with mods
  12. pingo

pingo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, thanks for the fast reply.
  13. cord4530

cord4530 danimal

Oddometer:
    I just went to order a 18L tank, comfort seat, and other related parts from Munn Racing and they informed me that the comfort seat is no longer available. They did a little research and the "standard seat" (2000-2004 LC4 640 Enduro) will fit and is still available. Part number is: 58407040800

Anyone ride with this seat? I was hoping to get a more comfortable setup than my stock 03 625 SXC seat, and the added fuel capacity was a bonus. But if the "standard seat" isn't any better than my stock one I may have to rethink this. If anyone has any feedback about the seat I'd love to hear your opinions.
    -Dan
  14. hardhat

hardhat Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the 18L tank with comfy seat. Works pretty well. Stock seat will not fit (for sure). Comfort seat has larger, wider pan AND more foam. It's not just more foam. The seat is considerably wider to spread the weight (so-to-speak). I've modified it a bit so it is even comfier! (I've used it for pretty long rides, and am quite happy with it.) Not sure about the "standard seat" but the seat pan would have to be different to properly mate with the 18L tank. The tank has a mating bracket and cutout that does not fit with the stock seat. If the standard seat fits, you can always pull off the vinyl cover and add/change the foam to make the fit better.

Also, comfort seat uses a single bolt in middle of seat (on my 2003) to connect seat to frame. It never really fits that well. Stock seat uses 1/2turn latch at rear of seat to fit into mating latch on the bike's frame.

Fully outfitted (with tank and happy trails luggage racks) I think the 625sxc makes one of the best DS adventure bikes out there! Light, powerful, agile. Now if I could just get the vibes down and the tranny range up, life would be good! (Love the 690 but the tranny range is sooo narrow. Dumb thing that should have been real easy for KTM to fix.)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

cheers
  15. cord4530

cord4530 danimal

Oddometer:
    Ya, the stock SXC seat definitely doesn't fit with the 18L tank. I can't decide if I should buy the tank and get this "standard seat", or try to find a used comfort seat. I do love how adaptable the bike is for just about any terrain.

For vibration I added some heavy brass bar end weights. That did wonders for the handlebar vibration. I also put the rubber foot peg inserts in. Now it's really just the seat that's uncomfortable.
    -Dan
  16. Sol Erzenberg

Oddometer:
    Megsy,the 18L KTM tank does bolt directly on, however it requires the KTM comfort seat to go with it.

The standard 625SXC seat will not fit the 18L tank.
  17. Sol Erzenberg

Oddometer:
    The KTM comfort seat is much more comfortable than stock, I did close to 15,000kms on my 625SXC with the comfort seat & 18L KTM tank.

The standard KTM rear foot pegs were very good on my 625, very solid, robust setup.

Cheers, Sol..:thumb
  18. rvflorian

rvflorian n00b

Oddometer:
    does anyone know where i can buy a bigger tank & comfort seat for 03 625 sxc .
    i live in o.c. ca.
    i'd appreciate any info
    tks.
    rvflorian@hotmail.com
  19. timg

timg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

I'm fitting an 18 litre tank to my 625 SXC. Is it possible to remove the existing decals from the 9 litre tank and reuse them on the 18 litre one? I know the easy answer is try it and see, however if anybody has tried and succeeded I'd appreciate any tips. I know about using a mild detergent mix to place and locate decals - done that before. Cheers.
  20. SwampApe

SwampApe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Attempting to revive this presumably dead thread, but does anyone know if the *stock* tank for the 2004 625 SXC will fit with the comfort seat (currently using it for my 18L LC4 tank).

Heard a lot about how the stock seat wont fit the 18L tank but not the other way around...