Bike caught on FIRE !!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Billyt, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Billyt

Billyt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After driving 75 miles in the Phoenix heat, my bike caught on fire. I pulled the seat and the battery was boiling. Both cables to the battery had melted to the gas tank. Bike has 26,000 and was serviced 10 days ago. No problems in those 10 days. Towed to BMW and awaiting verdict. Any ideas? R1200GS (2005). Issues since purchase: 4 low beam head lights, rear wheel seal, shaft drive seal, transmission gasket (replaced twice and still leaks oil), (2) slave cylinders, gear shift frozen ( splines lubed ), rear tail lamp replaced, rear lamp cover replaced (cracked) What do you experts think?
  2. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes! I have 52K on my 02 GS -- have only replaced low beam bulb once due to a burt out bulb. No oil leaks or fluid leaks of any kind -- except for the common gas line dribble that I fixed with a .20 cent hose clamp.

I'm no expert, but I'm surprised you've had so many problems. I decided to keep my 1150GS instead of buying the 12gS. Wish I had some advise for you -- it sort of sounds like you got a bit of a lemon.
  3. FredM

FredM Ding Ding

Oddometer:
    Vancouver, WA - moving back to Germany end of 2012
    If you have insurance (I hope you do) look forward to a brandnew 2006 model!

Never heard a bike went on fire.
  4. BobFV1

BobFV1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Age/type of battery?
  5. Team Dennis

Team Dennis Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer:
    It is time to think outside the german box.:evil
  6. Aquarian 7

Aquarian 7 Tolkien Freak

Oddometer:
    +1 time to cut bait and get an 1150, or a new 12.
  7. Hair

Hair no wants or warrants

Oddometer:
    Yours is one impressive list of problems. My first rule is that a bike must be problem free. The way that I see it is that if I make the payments and do the maintenance the manufacture should supply me with a reliable product. Sounds like BMW is not keeping up with their end of the deal. I like my BMWs. But if I were in your shoes I would find a way to dump it and never look back. There are a lot of really great bikes out there. Some of them are a bit of a crap shoot. But you don’t have to put up with any bodies crap. That is a statement that all manufactures need to hear.
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    That's only 1 major problem every 2,800-2,900 miles. Your expectations might be a hair high.
  9. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    Sorry to hear of the problems. My '05 12GS has 23,000 miles and the only problems have been a faulty clock setting button that was replaced under warranty (the whole cluster was replaced), and a low beam bulb went out at 13,000 miles. No leaks of any kind. I think I'd be at your dealership pushing for a new bike, too.
  10. Billyt

Billyt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Battery was replaced at 12,000 miles. Went to pickup the bike AFTER the service and the battery was dead. At my 25,000 service, some computer update was done to the battery since there was a big problem with batteries on 1200's going bad. It apparently shut down some processes that continued after the bike was turned off.
  11. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    I'd say the verdict is in, give me a new bike or give me my money back. I really don't see any other course of action. If they want to fix it, great, but I wouldn't be taking it back from that dealership.

An acquaintance had his Duc 999 repeatedly fail him while riding on the street. When the motor finally blew oil all over his back tire that was it. Bottom line was he got a lemon, like you, and the dealership took it back and refunded him his money.
  12. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
    ...bike was built on a Monday after Oktoberfest.

Sounds like you have a lemon and need another bike. Sorry about the problems
  13. RussL

RussL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With all the problems you've had, you probably should have let it burn to a crisp, collect insurance and bought a new bike.
  14. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    This thread is useless without pictures.

:lol3
  15. used2jeep

used2jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds to me like your alternator is charging far too high of a rate. Your bulbs could be blowing too early for that (or you managed to get bad bulbs, which has happened to me in a car). The overcharging could easily have puked your computer as I think later in this thread you mentioned. The battery cables melting also points to overcharging and possibly to just not connected tight enough to the battery terminals. 2005 - well, you don't have a lemon (as defined by Massachusetts law) yet. But, if you have them check the alternator then I would be willing to buy your next pint if you had electrical issues after that.

GL and let us know how you make out!
  16. used2jeep

used2jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as you needing the two transmission gasket seals, I would have them check the surfaces because it sounds like a bad machining job on 1 or both sides. This, according to Massachusetts law, would qualify it as a Lemon (3 attempts at fixing the same problem). Maybe, just maybe, that is your way out of this bike. That is IF that is what you WANT to do.

Good luck again!
  17. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Who has been your servicing dealer thru all of this? Your bike sounds like it has had more than its share of issues.
  18. FredM

FredM Ding Ding

Oddometer:
    Vancouver, WA - moving back to Germany end of 2012
    Bavarians do not go to the Oktoberfest. Just Italians and folks from the US :lol3
  19. honcho

honcho Barley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bavarians do not go to the Oktoberfest. Just Italians and folks from the US :lol3

+1
  20. pilesofmiles

pilesofmiles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could not agree more, useless thread without photos.:lol3