Bike choice.......

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 660SMC, Nov 17, 2005.

1. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Further to my thread about moving to Alberta and my KTM 660s unsuitability, I've started looking at bikes to maybe ship across. At the moment, I've narrowed it down to...

the 1200 GS....

[​IMG]

0R

the 990 adventure s...

[​IMG]

Now I know that each is more biased to road and off-road (BMW-road / KTM - off-road) and both are roughly in the same price bracket tax free - 11k euros (BMW slightly more expensive - 12/13k). What it has boiled down to, is residual value when I come to leave Canada after my two years.
    Can any Canadians please give me their view on each others desirability and pricing after two years or offer any advice?
  2. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    Being in Ontario, Canada, I think you will have better success re-selling the GS. KTM's are few and far between, at least in Ontario - which I believe would be your largest market. The GS also appeals to a larger user group to include those who will never leave the pavement.

Hope this helps!
  3. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will be able to sell the GS easier, and it will hold it's value better. There are KTM's languishing in dealers here, they are very expensive here.

Ciao, Steve G.
  4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Have you considered a Tiger? They are reasonably priced.

I am not sure shipping a bike over would be worth the cost when there are so many bikes here that need a good home.
  5. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    A GS with ABS is about $3000 more in Canada the USA. Price in the states is $14,700 US or 12,381 Euros. I don't know what you would pay for shipping, but it might be easier to pick one up in the states on your way to CDN????? I did a BC Dual Sport Ride last summer. There were 2 KTM 950s - they bailed after the first 2 hours. I slogged it out in the rain for 2 days with Tourance tires - should of had knobbies. Blackfoot motorsports in Calgary is the dealer for both bikes. I go to Vanocouver for service and parts...gee I wonder why? I believe the Western Canadian rep for KTM is based out of Calgary. If you want to go the KTM way, I could probably get his name. You will be doing alot of HWY riding out of Medicine Hat. I'd go for the BMW cuz I got one and am in love. With Tourance type tires, either bike will suck in the mud or soft sand but the nice thing about the BMW is when you drop it in a mud hole it never falls on it's side. It sits at a 45° angle and never pins you under it. It's easy to pick up too. I love the blue and grey combo - good choice. You will find it alot cheaper to get Tourtech type accessories over there - and bring me a BMW helmet too - can't get them in North America.
    Cheers
    Stand Up
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can get a BMW here Standup. It's called Schuberth!
    Ciao, Steve G.
  7. BUTTERBALL

BUTTERBALL Never ending kid saga...

Oddometer:

A 950s is harder to find used and is at the same time groing in popularity, A GS is popular but there is choice on the market. Need a all around confortable machine, get a GS. Need a trip back in childhood and kik ass non confort oriented monster, get the 950s

My 2cents
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    If you're trying to bring a bike from anywhere other than the States, and it's newer than 15 years old, forget it. You'll never get it plated here without posting a bond to guarantee that you'll take it back out of the country, and even then you probably won't get it plated.

Read this.

Went thru all this shit when I came back from Belgium. Had to sell my almost new GS there, which is, according to the BMW parts fiche, was completely and perfectly identical to the Canadian model. :baldy My boss was buddies with the minister of transport, and even he couldn't change it for me.

But if you bring in a clean PD, they're worth a few bucks.
  9. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies chaps........although the last post by Drif10 kind of puts a dampener on the idea. :cry
    Why is it different if the bike comes in from the States? (Oh, and what's a PD, Drif?)
    Now what to do? Buy over there or ship my 660 SMC (I'm having a hard time with the idea of getting rid!)......

....damn choices...:patch
  10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    PD=Paris to Dakar

[​IMG]

We don't have any like these. A bunch in a big crate will do fine.