Bike Engines vs. Idiots!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by MooreRon, May 10, 2004.

1. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    How many times have you sat in traffic on your 950 and watched the temperature rise, fan kick in, and you start feeling like possible harm is being done to your engine. Or how about running a little briskly down the road, you miss a gear and the tach jumps up into the red-line...feeling a little guilty? - I know I have.

Well, I don't know how the 950 engine compares to the typical power plant put out by the Japanese, but if it's anything close then this article should help you sleep a little better at night... :snore

http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/pics/bikes/post-1-1083339783.jpg

Bart
  2. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Was that Synthetic or Mineral oil?....and how was the bike originally broken in??? :1drink :evil :rofl :freaky :thumb
  3. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    :thumb :D

Still feel guilty though...
  4. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Very encouraging.

The bit about the glowing exhaust reminded me of an act of stupidity I winessed at Le Man a few years ago.

French guy fires up his near pristine CB750SOHC from cold & revs it to full throttle continuously. The header pipes glow & this continues all the way past the collector box. When the glowing is halfway along the tailpipe, one of the conrods lets go & punches a hole through the cases, throwing hot oil on to even hotter header pipes :huh Bike bursts in to flames just as the owner bursts in to :cry

It was past midnight & was pretty spectacular, we burst out :rofl :rofl :rofl & made a hasty departure when friends of the dopey Frog gave us dirty looks.

Steve
  5. storymitchell

storymitchell Member of the proletariat

Oddometer:
    The autumn of my discontent (Hillsboro, VA)
    Chances are the bike in the test is now on Ebay listed as adult riden, never down, never raced :rofl .
  6. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    Damn, BartKim, any chance of changing that avitar? :puke1
  7. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    Which, essentially, may be quite true.

What I want to know is if they took the engine apart afterwards and examined the wear on the various parts. Also, what the leakdown test showed.

Frankly, I'm not all that impressed by this test (unless there is more to the article than one page). It didn't examine the long-term effects of this abuse. Did tempered parts change their structural properties? Is the head gasket at a point just before failing? Will this engine be able to run normally for another 1000 miles? 10000?

Alas, the disclaimer at the beginning of the article states that this is unscientific test, and so it's hard to draw scientific conclusions from it.

Quite entertaining, though.
    --
    Ilya
  8. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    Not a chance! :eatme
  9. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    I think that was EXACTLY the whole point - with "Idiots" being the operative word in the title. :loco

Bart