BIKE HAULING & CAMPING--what is your travel set-up?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Lotta Throttle, Jul 29, 2019.

1. MarkM

MarkM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put screws through the wall board into the metal trailer frame studs. I haven't had any come loose.
    RustySpokes and Davidprej like this.
  2. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the issues that I am aware of with the DEF systems, is, DEF has a short shelf life. It's kinda use it or lose it kind of thing. The warming it is the faster that shit crystalizes and plugs up the system. Once that happens, well you're kinda done. So if you use DEF use a lot and don't park it.
  3. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen on youtube many van builders using "80/20" aluminum channels and it appears they take carriage bolts and can be moved around since it's a channel.....
    NJ-Bill likes this.
  4. Lotta Throttle

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I'm no fan of diesel. However, I am a fan of the true 4x4 option that only Sprinter offers from the factory and i like the size of a Sprinter/Transit for easier trail maneuvering off the grid. The new AWD that Ford announced sounds expensive to repair and destined to chew through tires IMHO.......

Imagine a Ford E350 Chassis with a gas motor, 4x4 and then a solid fiberglass drop on camper/cargo shell that has a side rear door (dont need the rear door) so that the bikes face the width of the bed, not the length. Seems that method would leave more garage space + more living space for the bed/batch/kitchen up front? Keeping all that similar to the length of a 170XL Sprinter would make a nice cross country and off the grid bike hauler. No need to tow anything.
    NJ-Bill likes this.
  5. Lotta Throttle

Oddometer:
    .....great, so now we have to worry about kidney stones AND also DEF stones when traveling :jack
    219snowflake likes this.
  6. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got done rehanging the fold down couch / bed on my 06 Weekend Warrior that decided to let loose at the last event .:ace Damn near landed on my foot ! I checked the other side and yup , it was missing some screws too .

Don't know what's behind the walls , but they're 1/2" x 8 on the bed . So yeah they come loose and as always , a little PM goes a long ways .
    RustySpokes likes this.
  7. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Question:

When you haul bikes in it, then convert to sleeping, does it smell like gasoline?
    Bultaco206 and Davidprej like this.
  8. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not at all.
    Yinzer Moto, Davidprej and sieg like this.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Related side note: A friend and I have had that "odor" conversation about my plan to build a moto-van. We both decided that the smell of motorcycles - gas, rubber tires, two stroke oil - is a major feature of any tiny home, and one to be desired. It could go overboard, I'm sure, but still.... As he said, "it's music to my nose"!
    95Monster and Bucho like this.
  10. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    I don't mind it either. But a trailer such as this would do double duty and I know this lady who has a more sensitive nose than mine. It would just turn into one more thing that I do alone for some really minor reason...
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We haul bikes and fuel cans in our van. It is not an issue. On carb bikes, turn the fuel off and run the motor for a bit to drain down the float bowl. Fuel injected bikes are fine. Going over high mountain passes, the gas tanks will vent a bit, expect to smell something and open the windows. It is only temporary.
    Davidprej likes this.
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suggest one of these at home, get her used to the smell. Maybe a couple new moto tires laying around inside the house.

Attached Files:

13. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I have a van with motorcycles that live in the back and a dividing wall that is not even remotely air tight. You really notice if you spill gas. And it was definitely noticeable just generally, but then I put in a solar powered boat fan and that’s made a huge difference. I got this one https://www.westmarine.com/buy/mari...-night-solar-nicro-vent--17863333?recordNum=1 and it moves enough air that the van doesn’t smell too bad to my nose.
    Lotta Throttle and NoelJ like this.
  14. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    Haha! My better half always says she like the 2-smoke smell. Of course, she's never ridden trials behind someone running 110 octane aviation fuel...

I just don't want to shell out to buy or build something decent and then have her tell me she has a headache. From the smell, of course!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  15. distinctivedoug

distinctivedoug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9459B2E2-097F-4941-A9D1-FBEDA8005FAC.jpeg 4748A024-86B2-4AAE-B1E7-B4BE6CBA45AD.jpeg 9459B2E2-097F-4941-A9D1-FBEDA8005FAC.jpeg
    TheYeti, twizzler, Wolf_ADV and 5 others like this.
  16. distinctivedoug

distinctivedoug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couple pics of the old camp n ride set up.
  17. Davey107

Davey107 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In our Outback toy hauler, I have a permanent vent hose that I hook to the vent line of the tank on my KTM 1190 with a 1/4" brass barb fitting while the bike is inside. My wife has a sensitive nose, and so far, no complaints when the bike is loaded in the trailer.
    Dave
  18. DP55

DP55

Oddometer:
    Bucho, marret, WIsixfitty and 6 others like this.
  19. FS 81

FS 81 n00b

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

Lotta Throttle and Davidprej like this.
  20. 2 WINGS

2 WINGS n00b

Oddometer:
    I spent 7 months last year traveling the U.S. visiting national parks. I had a Class A motorhome and a swivel-wheel trailer for my KLR 650. The trailer, made by Smart Trailer, made it easy to back into a parking spot, but I was disappointed in the quality of the trailer. I had to have 3 welding repairs and 3 new tires in 10K miles. I would use a 5th-wheel "toy hauler" if I were to do the trip again. It was a trip of a lifetime, and I recommend that you do this if at all possible. I would park the bus at an RV park for a week and explore all back roads and off roads with the bike. I went so many places that cars could never access. I turned 70 last year and figured that I better take the leap while I could still leap!! Now go for it.

5-13-18 3 FRIES VA.jpg