BIKE HAULING & CAMPING--what is your travel set-up?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Lotta Throttle, Jul 29, 2019.

1. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler, Davidprej and marret like this.
  2. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the ticket right there!
    If i were a handier man i'd start a side biz that takes short schoolies or 23-26' ADA compliant shuttle buses and convert them to a MotoBus:
    1. Roughly 86-94" body width to work with
    2. Side rear door for the bike loading
    3. Decent ground clearance for off-road excursions; add a winch to the heavy duty front bumper and add a deck to the rear and top of bus
    4. Bikes could be parked shortwise (86" direction) allowing a partition wall that creates a 'garage' topped off with a fantastic fan for venting
    5. The living space left up front would be about 12'-15' of buildable space
    6. Because the body is so wide you could have a split drybath and a large mattress
    Surely someone has already thought of this and built a few? If anyone is near Atlanta and has the skills I'd bring the capital to see if we could build and sell one for a profit.
    Maggot12 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I traded that bus in at the dealer on my Transit. I wish I would have kept it and tinkered with it a bit more. They gave us like $2300 for it.
    I have had similar thoughts as you. Starting a side business of buying the buses, doing a basic build out and selling.
  4. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always imagined they got around 0.5 mpg. What did you get on a highway trip?
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    13-14 going from Pittsburgh to Moab. It had a 6.0L GM gas motor. Not a lot of speeding. 5 over the limit. 4 bikes, 4 people, and all the related gear. There may have been a 11mpg tank or two on that trip, if we caught a headwind and the speed limit was 75.
    NJ-Bill likes this.
  6. Lotta Throttle

Oddometer:
    Something like this converted with a garage in the back, solar on top, winch up front and fold down deck off the back. Add a side awning and you have self contained off-grid MotoBus that's still mobile enough for grocery trips. I'd probably keep the Sr Citizen graphics just to be stealthy:
    [​IMG]
    steved57, tjzondrz, Bhart89 and 3 others like this.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    When preparing to leave for a long weekend, I stopped at the beer and liquor store. I got some interesting looks rolling out of there with a shopping cart full of booze and loading it in the back of the school bus.

A side effect of the bus was that no one ever tried a dangerous pass on me of cut me off. They constantly did that in my box truck and regular white vans.

Also, make sure you get the flashing lights figured out. People were not real happy with me when they malfunctioned on the highway and the stop sign deployed. I could not get them to turn off. Drove all the way home like that.
  8. Lotta Throttle

Oddometer:
    Next on CNN--A modern day "Easy Rider" steals local school bus for a cross country booze and bike party while taunting fellow travelers with stop sign and flashers....
    :lol3 look at you giving all us upstanding moto folks a bad rep.
    katbeanz and Yinzer Moto like this.
  9. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    That would take second billing to a seniors' shuttle pressganged into the same kind of service. The fuzz would have no mercy.
  10. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hows your new van doing for fuel mileage ?
  12. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    4128.jpeg After trying everything from a Casita, Sprinter van , A-frame trailer, this by far is the best setup we have had.
    KICKNBACK, iamunique127, ejm4 and 5 others like this.
  13. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    17-18, it has the 3.7l motor. I saw over 20 on a 900 mile trip that was all on slower roads.
  14. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a MR 148 Transit with the 3.7 and those numbers match my experiences. Keep it under 65 mph on flat roads and it returns quite respectable fuel economy for such a large vehicle. I've been pleasantly surprised.
    Yinzer Moto and Adanac rider like this.
  15. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    987DE9A5-AD49-494A-8A79-653ACB4D3339.jpeg
    View attachment 1969466
    Overall I've been pleased . I came off an aging Duramax , but got tired of the expense and searching for diesel on the road ( BTW , careful when you pull into BP stations , their gas pumps are green ....don't ask :fpalm )

MPG is not as good as the diesel when hauling , but it doesn't have a problem hauling the trailer . On this particular trip to bike week there 3 guy's and gear , HD dresser and 4 other bikes .

Pic shows the bad ...
    Yinzer Moto and Adanac rider like this.
  16. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    385 gallons. ouch.
  17. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys , 17-18 on an American gallon equates to over 20 on a Canadian gallon ,twice as much as our V-10 in the class c . :thumbup
  18. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    msahern5 and bobfab like this.
  19. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh i like it. I just don’t think gas engines are the only problem. My boss has a Tesla and two houses. The grid for one house is primarily coal the other nuclear powerplant. It you ever fish below a coal fired power plant its not pretty . To me it depends what house the car gets charged at how friendly it really is. The true environmentalists are the city dwellers living in high rises and taking public transportation ., Just my opinion
  20. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    dml9 and Albie like this.