BIKE HAULING & CAMPING--what is your travel set-up?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Lotta Throttle, Jul 29, 2019.

1. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    Here’s our setup. Dual slide Truck camper on a 3500 Chevy Diesel Dually, pulling a 7x12 ramp door trailer. It’s fully insulated, setup to haul up to 4 full size dirt bikes and doubles as a second bedroom.

281F9470-0724-4D54-90CD-E0BB16CFA9B4.jpeg
    C289DA7C-46EC-427A-8AA6-AE791BCCB9C6.jpeg

57D444AC-D46C-40D0-BA24-B7D06C44FBEA.jpeg B2A0F7E7-4526-4676-A34E-F255532F7988.jpeg

Attached Files:

jmckeown88, MGV8, tjzondrz and 15 others like this.
  2. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :nod

But , splitting' 3 ways helped .

One thing I've noticed is in the wintertime mileage goes down 2+ . Only difference being warm up / idling time . That trip was plagued with traffic tie- ups everywhere we went . So I don't know if it's the computer or ...?
    keepshoveling likes this.
  3. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    Yeah, don't try this at home! Straps held the tent and sitting on it was ok, standing best. Didn't have far to go. Getting on/off was the challenge; couldn't swing a leg over from kickstand side. Lock front wheel to left, apply front brake, right foot apply rear brake while getting in saddle.

Determined to try this tent (Gazelle t4) & was a palace with room to stand. Removable floor would allow the bike to be inside but had dry weather so no need. Did 6 swims over 3 days. Cromag rally is a tradition.

There's car camping & moto camping. Need a better name for car-moto camping. Makes aging much more tolerable. 20190921_100821.jpg
    Bhart89 likes this.
  4. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    Yeah; way more than just gas engines and we're at a point where everything possible needs doing. Eventually the coal will be replaced by something that doesn't emit. Might as well enjoy the benefits of EV's now.
  5. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    It depends on your flooring. I used to borrow a friend’s trailer that had a plywood floor that the owner had spilled oil and gas on, which was absorbed and smelled, making sleeping in it undesirable. I tried to clean it up, but it’s nearly impossible to do once it’s saturated, making floor replacement really the only option. My new trailer has vinyl flooring which doesn’t soak up spills, but immediately wiping up spills goes a long way in keeping odors out. I also subscribe to the method of shutting the fuel off and running my bikes float bowl dry, which works for me.
    BioStrom, TrophyHunter and Davidprej like this.
  6. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie Send lawyers, guns, and money. The SHTF.

Oddometer:
    I didn't go back through all the pages, but does any one here have, or seen, a truck with high enough box rack to have a bike or atv in the box and a RTT over head on the rack?

For my next vehicle I was considering building a Transit toy hauler/camper, but the one downside is the bike/atv and fuel would be in the van with me, which I am not sure if I am okay with -- especially when the ATV is covered in stinky mud.

I also somewhat want a real 4x4 with real clearance. Which led me to think what if I could still put the bike/ATV in the back (maybe fold mirrors down or whatever), and have a RTT on a rack overhead? That way I wouldn't be pulling a trailer so I could Soft-offroad to a camping spot, and the bike/ATV would be separate from my sleeping area.

Was thinking something like this over a 4x4 F150 with an 8' box, for example:

[​IMG]

As for loading and unloading, the bike I can walk beside and lean over. The ATV I could operate the throttle from outside the rack, considering it is open. Or I could attach a winch point and winch the ATV up which would be safer and easier, most likely.

Thoughts?
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make a rack with electric linear actuators so you can raise and lower it as needed.
  8. FlounderUSN

FlounderUSN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone heard of Provan Tiger series? https://www.motorhome.com/motorhomes/reviews/provan-tiger-19/ One popped up on Craigslist today and I got in contact with the seller pretty quickly (ad said posted about 2 hours prior to me viewing it). However, when I went back to relook at the add while researching these things the ad had been flagged for removal. I did receive another e-mail from seller with info on it but since it was flagged I am a little worried. If the rig appears in good order and all the paperwork matches up not sure what scam could be being ran but you never know (good forgery on title maybe?) I was looking into a camper van with quigley but this has far superior towing capacity (claims around 7k). Price would be significantly lower than a van. I think this is the rig: https://robert1.slickpic.com/albums/2001-Provan-Tiger-CX-Model-4x4-19-Class-C-Motorhome/?wallpaper but the guy who listed this not that hosting site also has a crazy amount of other rigs put here all fairly recently posted. Flags are raising in my head....definitely seems like pretty sweet rigs bit of a unicorn from what I am reading on other forums...

Any info thoughts would be appreciated.
    rokon140 and Snake Oiler like this.
  9. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    If the guy has it at an unrealistic price and multiple units for sale, I'd be very cautious. Tigers have generally good reviews from what I've seen and come up for sale periodically on expo portal.
  10. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Yeah, just go check it out if he's local. Not sure why he's flagged, but if the ad didn't look shady and he was just doing something like jamming in a bunch of keywords at the bottom, that seems like it should be fine to me. Obviously, don't do anything with wire transfer, or using his VIN check service or anything like that, but this doesn't sound like any scam I've heard of.
  11. Topher749

Topher749 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. FlounderUSN

FlounderUSN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for replies. After sleeping on it and a new e-mail this morning I have come to the conclusion it is a scam. It was listed local but new claim was it was in Iowa all ready to ship and they wanted me to give info so they could pass to eBay then use eBay escrow and all this. Just seems way too fishy especially since I couldn't find any eBay listing. Plus, after research, price was way too good to be true. Ah well, maybe be back to the Quigley Transit option...just wish had a 1000 or two better tow capacity. Still looking for some first hand feedback from others on extended towing near max tow capacities with a Transit. I may still be a thousand or so below max for most of my towing but I do have a longer enclosed trailer so a little leery on somewhat frequent towing with trailer and some bikes loaded.
  14. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr. Toper,
    Did you make that RTT rack for your trailer or did you purchase it some where? I am looking to do the same thing so we Can haul a Goldwing when needed.
  15. DoubleM

DoubleM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really like the truck camper trailer set up. How long can you camp with that set up?
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have camped off the motorcycle with 2 small saddle bags for a month, I imagine I could live out of a that trailer setup indefinitely.
    Snake Oiler, Paul124ac and DoubleM like this.
  17. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    The Transit AWD was supposed to be on the lots by now. Crickets.
    I did see a dealer in salt lake that is converting the Nissan NV3500. The price shoots up past a sprinter rather quickly but it’s rated to tow 10,000#
    I think I’ve given up on a 4wd van, and will instead try and get a van like cabover topper for one of the 4wd pickups we already have. I am fearful of spending a bunch and then having it suck towing #7500
    Snake Oiler and DoubleM like this.
  18. Topher749

Oddometer:
    By cargo trailer are you referring to an enclosed type? I had use of one for a couple years (my step fathers). It was nice and I considered buying it and converting it into a camper but it was a bit big and heavy for my Tacoma to haul around.
    track.jpg

The original plan was to build drawers in the Tacoma an be completely all self contained so we can just pick up and leave. That was great but found that having the use of the truck would be nice.

IMG_1037.JPG
    Camp.jpg

I still have the ability to pop the RTT on the truck if we are going to venture off road. I have the same mounting system on the trailer as I have on the truck.

Don't know if that answered your question but I don't think I'll miss the enclosed trailer too much. It has it's advantages for sure like setting up in the rain, etc. I was just a lot to haul around. I don't even feel the utility trailer even loaded with my KLX.

Toph
    MYUMPH, keepshoveling and Davidprej like this.
  19. Topher749

Oddometer:
    I built the rack with the help of @NC Rick Cogent dynamics. I purchased some brackets and telescoping tubing from this place. https://compactcampingstore.com/collections/trailer-racks/products/no-weld-trailer-rack-bracket-kits-racks?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Pinterest.

I came up with a design similar to what people did on this forum. https://tventuring.com/utility-trailer-conversion-build-t3267.html This link is to my build journal. Not very detailed and I haven't updated it in a while but a bunch of pictures.

It was a lot of fun doing and I really haven't done any kind of metal fabrication before. I still have some thinks to do but that can wait. I'll be camping with it for the first time this weekend and will post up some pictures of it deployed!

Toph
    marret likes this.
  20. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, that answers my question. I'm in the same boat, actually a smaller "boat" as I have a Mazda CX-9 w/ 3k lb. towing capacity. So weight will be an issue. Or, may have to upgrade tow vehicle. Very nice setup you have! Thanks,
    NC Rick and Topher749 like this.