BIKE HAULING & CAMPING--what is your travel set-up?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Lotta Throttle, Jul 29, 2019.

1. 5spd97

5spd97 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here. Our box truck has hardwood flooring and was used as a work truck before we bought it. We carry two bikes in the back and camp in it once the bikes are unloaded. On one trip one of the bikes leaked gas which soaked into the floor. The fumes were terrible although it was a small spill. It took all day with fans and repeated scrubbings with Dawn detergent to get it to the point that we could sleep in IMG_1481.JPG the back. Since then I have coated the floors with multiple coats of polyurethane which makes cleanup much quicker. I also cut a door through the bulkhead that separated the cab from the box. The door is fully gasketed and can be lifted off the hinges and moved to the side once the bikes are unloaded.
  2. FlounderUSN

FlounderUSN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Toph,
    Question for you or others: where do you leave your pup when you go out riding? Always worry about leaving my dogs behind if no one with me to watch while I get a ride in. If I get an RV or camper van could leave them in there for a couple hours depending on weather. They really don't care for hot temps. They'd be fine in winter temps but not so much summer of course. Just looking for possible ideas as I plan around a year of road tripping and want to have option to get some riding in during the spring-fall time frames and chase some Epic snow in winter.
  3. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I take my dog everywhere. He’s more important to me than riding, so I try to find a balance. I usually plan rides no longer than a 6 hours, tops. Most are 4-5, and I may head back out after stopping back to the trailer. But I usually make time for him. So we will hike or hangout after I get back. We have a deal...he lets me have ‘me’ time, and make sure he gets ‘he’ time. At events such as the Central ADV Rally my dog has a fan club (:jack) that will check on him while I’m out riding.

Most of my camping is done at campgrounds, or I’m parked at spots (friends’ places) where I have access to power for A/C. Otherwise, a Fantastic Fan usually will suffice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    W8NONU, katbeanz, Snake Oiler and 8 others like this.
  4. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a used motorcycle camper in like new condition a few years ago for $2500
    It only weights 350 lbs and sets up about anywhere in 10 minutes.
    Sort of a minimalist approach but its comfortable and low cost.
    It has a full size sleeping area and 5x5 area for dressing and gear storage.

20191107_164152.jpg
    20181025_135829.jpg 20181026_161857.jpg
    20180308_135836.jpg
    jmckeown88, Armyguy, NJ-Bill and 6 others like this.
  5. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

If you search "diesel heater 12v" on Ebay you'll find Chinese versions for $125 or so. I've read that they work fine.
  6. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

feel the love!!
    [​IMG]
    katbeanz, Bhart89, DoubleM and 5 others like this.
  7. Topher749

Topher749 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Usually if we’re camping/riding my wife is with me and stays at camp to watch the dog. We lost the pooch in the picture a few months ago. She was 15. We still have our 3 year old black lab Thor who loves to camp, He does fine in the back of the truck or in the annex with a fan if it’s not too warm, but somebody’s always around to check on him though. If I’m by myself I don’t bring him if I’m going to be gone all day. My wife misses him too much.

Toph
  8. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright, spill the beans on that funky little trailer. Looks like something I need!
    Davidprej likes this.
  9. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Extensive thread on this in a Vanagon forum. You'll probably find some useful information.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703569
    katbeanz and Davidprej like this.
  10. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    The trailer is a full aluminum Pheonix bolt together torsion axle trailer. Very cool indeed!! Light weight. You dont even know its there. No effect (detectable) on mileage.
    [​IMG]

marret, keepshoveling and Davidprej like this.
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought it was a neat little trailer too...………….but a lot of tongue weight, why'd they put the axle so for back? It should trail nice like that as long as the tow vehicle has the weight capacity. :thumb
  12. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    That may work in WI but your dog would be dead much further south in the summer. Be careful.
    keepshoveling and Bultaco206 like this.
  13. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t go south in the summer. It’s bad enough here. :lol3
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Can you tow that with the motorcycle and leave the truck home.

15. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    There are a few people that are towing campers with a Yamaha Tenere however I have not been willing to try.
    Gold Wings and Harleys should be capable.
  16. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice setup, how on earth do you get the Tenere in the bed? I have that same ramp and its a real bear to get it in my low utility trailer! That bike ain't light!
  17. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    I have a slope in my yard that takes away some of the angle.
    I just put it in gear and walk it up the ramp.
    When I get to my destination I try to find another incline.
    I have been looking for another ramp.
    One that's 6 foot long instead of 5 would make a big difference.
  18. FAW3

FAW3 Old wanderer

Oddometer:
    I use a Tacoma pick up with a cap, and easily removable kit for "mc hauling camping trips". I like having flexibility....empty truck to full load is about 15 minutes. All the truck camping gear stays in the bins all the time.

Photos/video here:

An old post:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/lets...hell-build-outs.1296078/page-11#post-38647902

Video:

Highly recommended:

*Versahaul MC carrier. Very well made. Nice loading ramp and tie downs.
    *Rtic 45qt cooler. Holds ice for many days (like 5+ in Big Bend NP Texas). 45qt holds a good load, but is sized so it can be carried fairly easily and stored many places. Glad I did not get a bigger/heavier one.
    * a simple shade/rain tarp system.
    * a truck cap height that offers 5-6" over the truck roof line. Gives critical headroom.
    Davidprej likes this.
  19. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My camping set up when everyone goes. Normally I am solo on the rig with the necessary gear. This is a trailer I borrowed as I am still shopping for the right fit. I have limited room in my driveway so storage becomes an issue. You know, Camper Truck, trailer, 4 bikes, racecar, my work truck and the wife's RAV. Plus all my other junk :lol3. Any ways planning a cross Canada next year so we'll see what I come up with, Thinking either an Aluma or and H&H flat deck with my own sides. Sidecar, mountain bikes, extra coolers, easy ups, etc. etc.
    IMG_2447.JPG
    Loaded easy, the winch on the bike helps.
    IMG_2465.JPG
    First camp set up.
    IMG_2469.JPG
    Solved taking the dog, problem.
    IMG_2513.JPG
    but I had to buy a third chair.:D

I do love this old truck but it tends to be a tad thirsty, Big block that I had stroked. Every time we pass something newer I have camper envy but this one is paid for, very comfortable and is easy to fix so I work with what we have. New truck/camper means less bikes, right?
  20. bluemtnridr

bluemtnridr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like this setup. Can pull a bike trailer or my boat and have plenty of room for me and the hound. I looked at these campers new....... I'l be looking used.
    JD
    plumber mike likes this.