BIKE HAULING & CAMPING--what is your travel set-up?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Lotta Throttle, Jul 29, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

Just curious, can you camp in one of those with it off the truck?

I wouldn't think so, but I'd always amazed by the things that I'm often wrong about. (My wife doesn't find it as amazing as I do...)
  2. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a problem! Does your wife really need that RAV?
    Lotta Throttle and MGV8 like this.
  3. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    95% of the time we camp off of the bikes and just haul the big adventure bikes on a big ass trailer. We dropped off the crf50 in Dallas.
    [​IMG]

this works too.
    [​IMG]
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never done it but have seen people off load them and let them down to the ground. Seems like a tad too much work to me, or at least adds to your set up and take down.
  5. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Question for those who use a truck camper the pops up. How long does the canvas last on one of those? And how good are they in cold weather?
  6. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm no engineer but those reinforcing strips on the rack seem to be worthless in that position. Shouldn't they be on the bottom? Rack bolted together wrong?
  7. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's flat iron, it holds lot more with the weight puling on it from bottom than pushing on it from the top. Angle iron, channel iron, square tube, round tube, I beam or H beam would work on the bottom pushing up......but be heavier. It's built right! It would do absolutely nothing but bend if it was on the bottom.
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yes. People live in them like that in BC.
    Place it on some pallets or whatever, put the stabilizers down and there's a tripod jack that goes under the front bunk.

Some frame under the bunk and it becomes a shed.

9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I had one that looks like that and straps
    were on the bottom. Google shows them like his. Maybe mine was backwards.

sieg likes this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    They're supposed to be on the top, like a suspension bridge. They are just flimsy little strips but have a lot of tensile strength.
    adventuro and sieg like this.
  11. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been trying to figure out a good system to haul the bike for years. I don't do long term camping maybe just a 2 or 3 day trip usually.The dirt bikes were never a problem to haul but a street bike is a different story, this is a 500lbs cap. hauler and the bike is about 450 I think very near the limit. Just got this RV but I have a hard time gitting the bike up on the rack even though it is only 4 or 5 inches higher, it is Hell to get old.
    IMG_1172.JPG IMG_1176.JPG Picture 035.jpg
    MYUMPH and keepshoveling like this.
  12. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw a carrier on the back of a Class A RV that was hydraulic. The bike was loaded at ground level, then lifted hydraulically. I didn't bother to ask what it cost. :D

edit: I found it. LINK
    keepshoveling and WRC51 like this.
  13. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks NJ Bill, I have seen these before. But $3500 plus is a little too much for me, I am a cheap SOB.
  14. FlounderUSN

FlounderUSN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am also curious on this. Further I have some questions for anyone with truck camper experience. I have a short box F-150 with 7200# GVWR. Curb weight per internet search is around 5600# leaving only about 1600# payload. Most of the 1/2 ton rated campers with decent options built out is close to that without myself, dogs and other cargo (clothes, snow gear, etc). I have been told I would be fine going over GVWR especially with some tire and suspension upgrades but my guess is it may be upwards of 1000# over GVWR. I am curious if others have any experience or input on this. My plan would be a long term road trip around N America so don't want to run into any issues. Also worry about storage. My other option I have been considering is a camper van but those lack tow capacity for the future after my extended road trip
  15. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure wish those Honda's were still available, perfect size.
  16. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem with truck campers on short bed trucks is that they are long enough that they put most of the weight behind the rear axle. So you don't even have to be over the GVWR to be way over on the rear GAWR. This is especially problematic on Fords because the rear axle is in front of center of the bed.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I have a short bed crew Ram 1500 with a similar payload that I thought of doing the truck camper thing. There are some makes of sub 1k lb campers out there.

18. W8NONU

W8NONU Best days to ride end in "Y"

Oddometer:
    I motorcycle camped for 30 plus years. Now I prefer a little more comfort and went the cargo trailer conversion route (6x12). My 6 cyl Frontier has no problem hauling the trailer. I camp and ride year round. I now have everything I need and want for comfort, cooking and hauling a bike. I can take my FJR1300 or my BMW 310GS depending on where I'm going and what riding I plan to do. I tend to do dispersed/primitive camping and have a solar system to power most items. I have a generator to use my a/c when needed or cooking with my air fryer/toaster oven. I get into some pretty muddy areas at times. image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    In Colorado dispersed camping at 10,000' near Creede.
    image.jpeg
    I have an efficient 12 volt fridge that came out of a semi truck. My propane cook stove is folded up against the wall with hangars to hold a bag for trash. I have no holding tanks. I carry two 6 gal water containers plus the three gallon comtainer that holds water for the sink.
    image.jpeg
    My bed folds against the wall to make room for my bike. The back wall is himged to open allowing plenty of room to load and unload the bike.
    image.jpeg
    My batteries are in this cabinet with the solar charger, power converter/charger for when I have shore power and my 2000 watt inverter. The sink works on a foot pump keeping my hands free for washing up or doing dishes.
  19. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will you consider trading places with me? I'm an accountant working 40 hour weeks and dreaming of living your life! Seriously dude, your setup is the bomb. And just to be clear, your bike fits in the cargo trailer right? It's a little hard to tell where it would go from looking at the pics.
  20. W8NONU

W8NONU Best days to ride end in "Y"

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no trading places....
    Yes the bike fits. I do have to remove the saddlebags on my FJR1300 to fit in the trailer.
    9B1D306F-D93D-4701-87F8-A26B91C5044C.jpeg 917AE815-B7B8-4EAD-A999-C800A9FE8466.jpeg D48E0735-ED45-42AD-A5F5-777008AADCC2.jpeg