1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BIKE HAULING & CAMPING--what is your travel set-up?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Lotta Throttle, Jul 29, 2019.

1. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    That just looks wrong
    gpfan, shinyribs, Bitingdog and 4 others like this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is, because it is not camping. It is staying in a mobile home.
  3. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    And there's no matching red accent colors either. You gott'a match if you're Glamping!
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Red on each end is not bad. Needs to match the rims of the RV with the utv trailer though.

I wish I had this dilemma... :D

sieg and NEPA 450x like this.
  5. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Hell my home is that larger 20181119_155117.jpg
    NJ-Bill and seasider like this.
  6. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb ....a mobile home with a garage!

We're looking into changing the black part of the graphics to red.
    GlennR likes this.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

So, I can't imagine what it's like pulling two trailers. Is it possible to back up more than a few feet? Seems you'd have to be very aware of where you pull into, or you could find yourself in a frustrating (and embarrassing) situation. I'm sure I would end up dropping the UTV trailer and reconnecting it at times. Which obviously wouldn't take much time or effort.

Your set up looks like a good solution for taking non-riding people on a motorcycle riding vacation. :thumb
    Adanac rider and sieg like this.
  8. sieg

Oddometer:
    I've seen people doing this for years. I had reservations before I tried it. But it's no big deal. (But I'm an old farm boy, pulled and backed all kinds of weird shit from semis to farm wagons.) If that 44ft. RV makes the corner the flat bed will follow. I can back up a little (actually more than I thought) but I plan carefully not to. I actually only pull that double from my house to our M/C club. 120 miles that I have driven hundreds of times, and know inch by inch.

And yeah I use it to show wives what we actually ride dirt bike through, well not the single track. And not my wife....she's been riding single track longer than me.
  9. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see it differently. His truck is pulling his house and his house is pulling his trailer. :lol3
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  10. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    My first reaction regarding the double trailer is, what-the-everlovin'-fk? But then I think about the semi's I see on the highway that do that all the time....with a whole hellofalot more weight and length.
    sieg likes this.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I asked this before, but could you fit the SxS in the rv...

sieg likes this.
  12. sieg

Oddometer:
    Yes, that one, which is our big 4 seat one, will fit along with one dirt bike. Or our small 2 seat one will fit with two dirt bikes.
    I only double trailer like that as far as our M/C club. My wife rides too, dirt, DS, adv, ATV, SXS, we have at least two of each. So whatever bike I take, we have to take one of the same for her too. Most times we just take the one set of appropriate bikes, or one SXS. But being retired many times we are there for a week or two. We're there, working or riding events of one sort then stay till the next different type event or just stay to pre-ride, set up, lay out, work on or explore for other events.
    Many times in the past we taken two trucks and trailers. But since getting a bigger truck last year we can do it this way and not be over manufactures capacity specifications of the truck or RV or be over legal weight or length. (Yes I checked.) Three hour drive on good roads in daylight hours, no stops along the way. Rear view camera focused on the rear trailed the whole time, TPM on all trailer times.

Generally when going south for the winter or west for the summer we just take four bikes or two bikes and two quads or one SXS, not all of it.

But I see it all the time out west, double trailering, boats, Jeeps, bikes, SXSs, any kind of toy you can imagine…………..and half the time with a SRW gas burner.

First world solution to a first world problem.
    Sharkdog, Maggot12 and mbabc like this.
  13. dakarchef

dakarchef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Short trip setup
    06 Sprinter medium wheelbase.
    We have a 32’ fifth wheel toy hauler but the sprinter is a great traveller for shorter trips and bike hauling. 25-30 mpg loaded .
    The wife and I are travelling to Texas and Louisiana, with motorcycle and bicycles. She will be doing a triathlon, me an Enduro. I’m in the process of turning the singles into a queen bed.
    30,000 km since May. I really like this van.

2 bikes and gear loaded
    62562A9C-41BD-4880-931C-389EC2C500F0.jpeg

Sumter National Enduro.
    View attachment 2161396 3345B14A-7742-4A8A-AE95-39BF3BF1213D.jpeg

Bikes out set up for sleeping
    4673BB3A-412E-415F-A502-E869DBB265DB.jpeg 64BF0302-E0EF-4A41-AFE7-7D26947AC96F.jpeg

Loaded for Sumter
    91E249DE-6B76-4569-9C5E-C17C9CB1E9D7.jpeg
  14. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Where does the bike(s) go? Inside the living area? Is there any hint of fuel smell inside? Like even a faint whiff? Like something only a wife’s nose would detect and instantly transmit to ‘that look’?
    keepshoveling and Davidprej like this.
  15. NJ-Bill

Oddometer:
    When that picture was taken, inside was a Super Tenere and a WR250R. After I removed the bikes, my wife and I slept in there for a week. She never complained and I never smelled fuel. Both those bikes were fuel injected.
    [​IMG]
    wilfred and Davidprej like this.
  16. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran this all last season and never once smelled gas. I even put my fuel jugs inside. Bikes are a KTM 200xcw and CRF150F, neither are fuel injected.

[​IMG]
    Davidprej, Snake Oiler and wilfred like this.
  17. MoneySlide

MoneySlide Tall Teller of Tales

Oddometer:
    which trailer is this
  18. sieg

Oddometer:
    Though I heard concerns about fuel smell. We've had four toyhaulers and a box trailer since 1992, traveled over 100k miles and even as sensitive as my wife's nose is she has never noticed the smell. The last two toyhaulers have separated garages so that would keep the fumes out. We never put fuel cans in them, just bikes. My buddy spilled five gallons in his toyhauler and it penetrated the wood floor, it smelled 2 years later, he gave it away.
  19. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    Davidprej, NJ-Bill and enduro0125 like this.
  20. NJ-Bill

Oddometer:
    I purchased one of these <LINK> to park my bikes on in my Ford Transit. So far, it has been great.
    Davidprej and dmottv like this.