1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BIKE HAULING & CAMPING--what is your travel set-up?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Lotta Throttle, Jul 29, 2019.

1. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Cool thread as I'm always scheming different set ups.

I've got a lot of nights and been to a lot of places in this set-up. It's my favorite when I need to put on big miles. Simple and quick..
    [​IMG]
    Ho-made hauler. Attaches to 2 points on the frame. It's heavy.

The most recent moto travel set-up. This works well. I can haul a lot and have pretty nice sleeping arrangements vs the back of the truck.
    I will build out this trailer to make it nice if the TC does not work out.
    [​IMG]

The latest rig is in testing and final approval. I'm not quite sure I'm sold on the weight and general hassle of the truck camper. We'll see what the other half thinks of the TC this weekend.
    [​IMG]

Ho-made hitch extension when the TC is in use. Mounts to the same points as my bike hauler.
    [​IMG]
  2. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice older Sun Lite. Looks like it’s in great shape. Any interior pics?
  3. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

No pics yet. I'll get some this w/e.

It's a 2002 model purchased in 2004 by the original owners. They haven't used it in years and are just getting too old. Stored indoors. It's seen very little use but was definitely musty inside. We've been working on that for about a month now. After new seating foam, queen size (memory foam) mattress, and cleaning everything it's pretty much gone.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  4. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    You bringing it to CADVR? That'll air it out. :photog
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  5. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Love this thread.
    Lot's of different ideas, lengths of stay, tastes and purposes.

My idea is sort of like @UtahGuido

I am kicking around some things, but I would really like to blow out of town and just live on the road....

My main priority is about mobility. I want to be able to go places that are more removed from the grid. I have the bike hauler, and have made it better, I have the FJ and it goes about anywhere, and I have the RTT and it is as comfortable as home. Cooking, shower and toilet are spartan. Still working on the idea.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Moto Jimmy, sirotek, K12Pilot and 7 others like this.
  6. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    I was inspired by Geek's thread, and built my own ADV van.
    [​IMG]
    Inside I have plenty of storage, which after version 1.0 I found lacking. If you don't have a place for stuff, it just ends up in the way.
    [​IMG]
    Bed folds down from the side. This way I can still use the van for work, or to haul full sheets of plywood.
    [​IMG]
    Bike can go inside, for short day trips. Or close to home camping.
    [​IMG]
    Or it can go on the Versahaul on the back.
    [​IMG]
    It's the best tent ever!
    [​IMG]
    It is an evolving project...this year I am adding an Espar heater. Next year hopefully a lift kit, and then a roof rack eventually.
    Wolf_ADV, Honda-50, sirotek and 31 others like this.
  7. billj

billj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love this thread....more please!
  8. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Did the Subaru retire? Awesome camp top on that Jeep Ute! Looks like a great way to explore the awesomeness around you.

Having 4 peeps and a dog, I’ve gone for the Russian nesting dolls style build. Can leave the camper somewhere and satellite from the truck....or can let the Mrs. drive the truck to do what she wants to do and I can hop on the bike. Slowly building it up to be able to live from any of the three for different durations.
    Planning for the fuller time future, eventually taking out the bunks in the back of the camper and replacing with a desk and washing machine. The truck will eventually get a more utility body style back that will act as the garage/tool storage shed.

B372BD22-746F-4A04-9896-72A61E749B9D.jpeg
    Currently this bike and a PW80 share bed space with 2 generators.
    61A246E8-E725-4DBB-B095-8CCDF7888510.jpeg
    Why two? I have a super small extremely quiet one that we use for about everything but the AC.....and a big ugly noisy godsend when temps are unbearable.
    I like this setup for me because I can still use the truck like a truck and the bike like a bike. The camper was cheap enough that I’m ok with dragging it places it should not go. We’ve had a few sketchy moments getting in to some places, but the bike lets me go scout before I commit.
  9. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was so geeked about the 4x4 170 Sprinter as my satellite vehicle and then pulling a travel trailer behind, but then i discovered Sprinter 4x4 tow capacity is a piddly 5000lbs max per their website:
    https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/commercial-vans/crew-van
    Naturally no one appears to make a 20-25' travel trailer under 5000lbs with full tanks. Not to mention a slide out option.

My thinking was to keep 2-3 bikes in the Sprinter (Sprinter for satellite runs) with enough room left inside for tools, parts and a cot and then base camp in semi-luxury in a travel trailer. Gotta have a dry bath in the trailer otherwise the Mrs. wont like 'roughing it'. We don't require 'glamping' or RV luxury but do appreciate AC, water, a big bed and a decent bathroom.

Guess I need to research toy haulers more and pair one with a V8 4x4 rather than a Sprinter? C'mon MBenz, offer a big 'Merican V8 in the Sprinter :clap
  10. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

No place to park it. All sites full. :muutt
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  11. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    :fpalm

I might know of half a site starting next Thursday. :augie
    WIsixfitty and Snake Oiler like this.
  12. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    I probably would have tossed good cash at MB had the 4x model been up to towing my 26’ bunkhouse. But at 5000 dry with no slides, it was too close for comfort. And I got spooked by some reliability reports as well. At 36k now on the 2017 Cummins powered Ram and zero issues thus far. Pulls like a freight train too. 1600rpm @ 70mph is good for about 14mpg with camper in tow and 20 empty.
    We have another truck that looks like this,
    8F208FC4-EB2B-4E0D-875E-B0D86A986A39.jpeg
    so a self contained unit resembling a van is still an option, and a good bit cheaper than a sprinter depending on what chassis you put it on.
  13. Lotta Throttle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this; I had never thought of this option but it makes a ton of sense. Bikes in back and travel trailer in tow. I suspect a MB diesel costs a pretty penny on maintenance v/s gas motor. Thanks for posting.
    plumber mike likes this.
  14. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the route I took, we both wanted something small, hard shell, with a bathroom and shower. I wanted to be able to haul my bike, keep the canopy on and not have to unload the bike before we set up for the night.
    So with a few modifications, this is what we have.

20190725_145858[1].jpg
    sirotek, raiderone, Hannda and 8 others like this.
  15. Lotta Throttle

Oddometer:
    I like the ultra mobility and relative lightness of your setup. If you were to take 2-3 bikes what would your setup be? Do you ever worry about your bike getting stolen off the bike rack?

Those are sharp looking truck wheels
  16. Pez Rojo

Pez Rojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked in up in last year and so far have been quite pleased with a Travel lite Falcon 23TH. Tows well behind an 08 Tundra 5.7 and at just over 6’ wide pretty much tracks in the same footprint of the truck. Has a front small queen bunk that is at the ready without having to unload anything if need-be, 2-battery’s, 2-bottles propane, wet-bath, and other amenities…..with room for 2-bikes and gear.

Looking to retire in a couple years and do some extended trips, but in the mean time its suited me fine a plenty for 1 to 4 night stays here about the Carolinas.

Attached Files:

17. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    That's a nice little setup. But I'm thinking that you will want something bigger for retirement. And if I was you I'd start the hunt now for things you feel you'll need/want in a mobile house. And you'll be better off if you find something close used and remodel to your taste. Remember you will be hard pressed to find your dream on anything out there.
  18. Lotta Throttle

Oddometer:
    From what i've seen out there the Travel Lite's toy hauler and travel trailer series are the sharpest and most rugged looking units around. You have about the only TH i've found that a Sprinter should be able to pull when loaded to far-less-than-capacity with only dirt bikes.

Their Falcon TT series are about the only 20-24' TT's made that a Sprinter 170 4x4 could conceivably tow across country without blowing a motor or tranny.
    Really like their A-24BH and F24BH floor plans--despite only being single axel. I'd like to meet someone who has pulled their Falcon or Aura with a Sprinter for a few thousand miles before i take the plunge tho.

Any pros and cons of tandem axel v/s single for cross country towing?
    Davidprej likes this.
  19. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Una Stamus/Thin Blue Line Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Wow there are a lot of options out there. I too am close to full retirement(semi-retired now). As our family of 8 has been getting smaller as they all grow up, move out, married off haha. I too felt it was time to start preparing for that upcoming time of traveling/riding around the country. I/we have downsized from a 29' TT that sleeps 10 to a really nice RTT made by Tepui. There are so many different sizes of these RTT's it is amazing to me, and now that i have one i see them all over the place! I've had three of the CVT brands in years past but have always sold them in the off season or years later. This one i believe i will have for many years as it is small(2-man) and I like it a lot!

I travel as much as i can with my NC700 decked out for touring/camping. I have a pair of Shinko 705's on it that have taken me everywhere i wanted to go and probably a few place i should not have been on it haha. Though i still work 3-5 hours a day i can usually take a 4 day weekend twice a month and ride i do! Although i usually use a Cot/Tent when i ride, i always bring a nice Hammock to if for no other reason then to hang out and relax.
    gnp Galcier Campground sign and NC.jpg

Here i made a quick trip over to western Montana for a couple of days. The Sienna can seat 8, or easily remove/collapse the back seats to haul all of your gear, and it tows a small bike trailer very well while still getting 26mpg! I have the Tepui Autana, sleeps 2 very well. I do not have the Annex installed here but that adds a large 9'x9' room off of the end and all the way to the ground enclosing the access ladder and making a really nice eating/cooking/changing room.
    Tepui at HVR in Montana.jpg

https://tepui.com/products/explorer-series-autana-3

There are some really great deals out there if you are willing to look/hunt/travel for them. I found this one on Craig's List. The guy had purchased it brand new, had it shipped to him and then never even opened the box nor used it!! He showed me the receipt $2,200.00 to his door and two years later turned around and sold it to me for $1,500..SCORE!!

Like a lot of you guys, there are many thing to address and sort out and hard decisions to be made as far as what is really needed and what is just an "I want". Being a minimalist at heart, this will suffice for now. I have really enjoyed seeing all of your outfits, thank you for taking the time to share them with the rest of us! :{)
  20. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I posted an exterior shot of our Winnebago Paseo Class B (Ford Transit) on the previous page, but here are some interior shots and shots of how we fit two bikes in the 5x8 cargo trailer.

Making coffee at a scenic overlook along the freeway:
    20190617_135715.jpg

My wife caught my sons and I hiding from the grandkids in the van:
    P1210238.JPG

And she took a picture of herself laying in bed sleeping in as we pull out of a campground early in the morning:
    20190309_081831.jpg

The two WR250R's in the trailer. There is a shelf at the front for gear, and hooks on the front wall for hanging jackets, etc:
    P1210634.JPG

And another exterior shot (the van sits a little taller now than it did in this pic, I've since added front SumoSprings, and put the thicker spacer under the rear SumoSprings, raising it almost an inch front and rear):
    20190617_094446.jpg