1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BIKE HAULING & CAMPING--what is your travel set-up?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Lotta Throttle, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't go places where I have to worry much about the bike, but do have a cable lock to keep the honest people honest :D

I have it set up to haul a bike on the back, but so far the only bike I've hauled on the back is a Yamaha RT100.
    I want to haul the wife's Ruckus on the back but will wait until I do more research on my weight limit and get a back up camera to keep an eye on it

[​IMG]

Thanks for the complement on the wheels......................not to many of the new style wheels out there that I like
  2. ChainsawMc

ChainsawMc n00b

Oddometer:
    Attached are a few pics of our recently-sold rig.* We really liked our '15 Keystone Outback 230TRS, which has a side-load garage at the front of the travel trailer that converts to a 2-bunk private room once the toy(s) are removed and has a normal camper setup at the rear. The garage could be completely sealed off from the full-time living space, and it was great to have a short, light toyhauler that didn't require unloading the toy to be able to eat/sleep/etc. (Being able to leave the toy secured in the garage was a plus, too.) As a bonus, the king-size master bed slideout at the rear served as covered motorcycle parking (bike and terrain dependent, of course). I suspect you could fit at least a couple narrow bikes in the garage (which is rated to 1,000 lbs) and load more in the pickup, if needed. Ol' Blue pulled the "House on Wheels" to plenty of back woods spots...places you'd have serious trouble reaching without 4WD or with a larger toyhauler. The House on Wheels had pretty respectable storage space and water tank capacity for boondocking, and with a small portable generator plus my mods for solar charging and doubling the battery capacity, we could stay off-grid for quite a while.

The Sprinter/Transit option would be okay if (a) you could get 4WD and (b) they could tow more than 5,000 lbs. There are places that will modify the vans to 4WD (for $10K or more), but you're still stuck with the same poor towing capacity and under-powered engines. The Nissan NV78 is rated to tow up to 7,600 lbs, but we test drove one and found it seriously lacking in power...plus it's also 2WD and gas engine only (even though it's built on the Titan pickup chassis.) Your Class B options are probably likewise limited to 2WD, and you'd either have to ride the bike to town or "break camp" every time you need to make a grocery/supply run.

I'm trying to convince a couple companies in Canada to modify their fiberglass cargo/utility pods (same basic shape as a cabover camper, but mostly empty inside) for use as an "adventure truck/mobile motorcycle garage," but they've been less than responsive to date. That would let us keep a 4WD pickup as the tow vehicle/garage/errand runner, pulling a potentially smaller non-toyhauler travel trailer for our living space. (Or the truck/pod combo could serve as the "Class B bachelor's" rig if you didn't want to or couldn't tow the camper trailer where you wanted to go.) There are ways to deal with the showering/personal hygiene issues that don't take much space, especially if you plan to boondock in the "back woods" on public lands. There's lots of info available on the interwebs about minimalist camping.

Good luck!

*We're transitioning to full-timers, and Boss Lady said the House on Wheels was a little too small if she has to deal with me year-round.

Attached Files:

3. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So the lady and I are in our Late 20s so we (I) don't need as many creature comforts. This was about a 3 day trips worth of stuff but I could live like this. We have an 8 man tent to sleep in.

IMG_20180816_125336.jpg
    brianpeck, Mudclod, Hannda and 5 others like this.
  4. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've gotten a lot of good ideas from this thread. I had no idea of the variety of camping/toy hauling options out there. I've been Googling trying to find used campers. I would think there are lots of used campers from those who want to move up or who ended up not using their camper. But I'm not finding good sources for used campers.

Any of you guys have a link to good used camper sites?
  5. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Rapturee2 and Davidprej like this.
  6. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    rv trader has 123 units <$15k within 150 miles of your zip
    Rapturee2, Davidprej and sieg like this.
  7. donmac

donmac casual angler

Oddometer:
    I occasionally haul a little vanvan up front when camping with the travel trailer. Not sure I'd want to put a big bike up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jmckeown88, Mudclod, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  8. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    What’s the legality in the States with carrying a bike like that @donmac? Not being a smartarse, I reckon it’s a good idea, but here you wouldn’t get 10ft from your driveway without a massive fine and an unroadworthy order. There’s been a huge crackdown lately on dimensions and weights, a lot of stuff got imported from the US and it doesn’t comply here as people are finding out.

That is one of the “let’s start shit around the campfire” questions. Engel or Waeco, Toyota or Nissan, single or tandem. A good mate is a failure engineer for the ADF involved with armoured vehicles mainly but also multitudes of different trailers, and how they perform when seriously compromised. A tandem will become dangerously unbalanced if a wheel is lost and go out of control, whereas a single axle will continue in a straight line and can be bought safely to a stop. I know, I didn’t believe it either, I’ve seen the videos. There’s also cost, maintenance, and manoeuvrability to consider. I set up my 1500kg boat on a single axle trailer after talking to him, 2 tonne axle and springs and heavy duty bearings, hubs, truck tyres and rims. Towed it many thousands of kilometres at highway speeds and above with zero issues. Previous tandem was great as well but twice the maintenance and a pig to shift around in tight spots which puts huge loads on things, watch a tandem being backed around tight corners. Only time I’ve missed a tandem is rough ground and driveway crossings. Another plus with a single is any unbalanced load problems are apparent very early ie: low speed, and they escalate slowly. A poorly loaded tandem masks the unbalance until a “tip over point” where they will start oscillating alarmingly quickly.
  9. donmac

donmac casual angler

Oddometer:
    Not aware of any laws pertaining to carrying stuff up front. Lots of people carry bicycles and surf fishing gear up front. I suspect the only legal issue we'd have was if you obstruct a headlight or turn signals. The vanvan does partially block one headlight, so I've never tried it at night. I think it would be distracting with a portion of the light shining on the bike. You do need to be careful not to overload the truck. The rack is rated for 600lbs, but I would not haul a bike much bigger than the vanvan up front.
    Paul124ac likes this.
  10. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overhang laws here, nothing forward of the standard front bar of the vehicle and nothing obscuring lights or turn signals. You’ll even get pinged for light bars or spotties that are outside of the front profile.
  11. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Nanny State
  12. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the soon to be 'full timer' mode. Yes, your '15 Keystone Outback 230TRS is what i would want with a 2500 or larger truck and i really like that side entry garage a lot. If only someone made something similar under 5000lbs that a Sprinter or mid-size truck could pull.......
    So far, Travel Lite appears to have the strongest line up of lite-yet-roomy towables I've seen, but no side entry garages. that side entry garage with a partition wall is perfect in my mind
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  13. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

I really liked the idea of a side entry toy hauler (ours was a Forest River 28BH). It gave a huge open space which I made a screen for, right by the bed so ventilation was much improved as we camped without electricity in the Keys for several winters. In practice it tended to leak and I was replacing a rotted floor in just a few years. Very few campers stood up to Hurricane Irma when it went through the Keys but from the pictures I saw, 'normal' campers appeared far less likely to 'explode' like mine did.
    Not saying that someone could not make a great side entry garage, just that I haven't seen one yet.

005.jpg

Bruce
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  14. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Una Stamus/Thin Blue Line Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm wondering if a guy could just install his own door in one and make it into a front load toy hauler.... just a thought.
    :{)
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  15. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is carnage. I even see Christmas lights in the debris.
    Scratching enduro/trail riding in the Keys off my bucket list---if a Hurricane didn't get me I'm pretty sure the locals would feed me, my bikes and gear to the gators.....
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  16. 5spd97

5spd97 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We converted a 14 ft box truck on a Ford E350 Cut-away chassis into a toyhauler camper. It has a 1600lb. liftgate which allows me to load my HD FatBob and my wife's CB500x by myself. We can sleep comfortably inside with the bikes loaded although we typically unload the bikes first and then have the whole truck to use for living space. We take frequent 7-10 day trips carrying the bikes and it's an awesome setup. It's a 2 year work in progress and gets better every trip.
  17. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have an pics you could post. This sounds like something new. Tks.
  18. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a chance. Feeding you to the gators would interrupt the party.
    Lotta Throttle likes this.
  19. 5spd97

5spd97 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, the first pic is from the day I bought it home before any improvements. The 2nd is one that I just took today; and the 3rd is an interior shot from about a year ago with the Harley inside. I just realized that I've only had it two years rather than 3 although it seems like I've been working on it five
    lol.

IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    swamp, krautman, ca.gearhead and 9 others like this.
  20. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's like cheating . . .

67959610_10219906426510206_5180099067169996800_n.jpg

[​IMG]