1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BIKE HAULING & CAMPING--what is your travel set-up?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Lotta Throttle, Jul 29, 2019.

1. PakaWildDogs1

PakaWildDogs1 n00b

Oddometer:
    This is the best yet!
    Im3Wheeln, msahern5 and Davidprej like this.
  2. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know how hard it is to find a commercial box van like that, good find! If i had one of those i could pull a > 5000lb travel trailer
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is my new setup. Garage in the back for bikes. Front half is living quarters. We don’t have one but a composting toilet could be added. Many people hang showers from the rear doors and a tarp across the doors. Then shower back there.

919C27F2-3C92-4618-965E-6226C9EB135D.jpeg

6BDAA774-BDE8-48EF-94C5-74A73462A631.jpeg

F7B2EB37-D860-4FD2-AD06-82C1DEC27B5F.jpeg
  4. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    I’m surprised no one is talking about Ford Transit vans???
    Up to 7500 LB towing capacity and with the 3.5 EB engine you’d have all the power needed. Starting in 2020 AWD is an option. The MB has MB reliability and dealer support/prices. I love my yotas but I’d take a Ford over an MB any day.
    AdamChandler, Lidja, katbeanz and 2 others like this.
  5. 5spd97

5spd97 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do! We used to trailer our bikes to good riding areas using a std cab F250 with all of our gear in the bed. I knew there had to be a better way so I looked for about a year at everything from schoolies to Uhauls to Super C's trying to find the right mix. Finally I made a list of everything on my wish list and did a wide CL search, and bing; this popped up 450 miles away and it seriously checked every box. It was in my driveway the next day. I consider myself real fortunate to have found it.

After an especially rainy camping trip in the mountains we now have a small car that we tow on our trips. It is a great setup for us.
    Davidprej likes this.
  6. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

Not so much for trail riding in the Keys, some areas of storm destroyed subdivisions here and there with perhaps a hint of trail but generally if not turned back into conservation areas anything unbuilt is quickly taken back over by thick vegetation. I did enjoy having my DR650 down there, used it for about everything except carrying a bucket of live shrimp. A few gators but they are not fond of salt water and 'free range' fresh water is not so common. Locals largely make a living in some connection to the tourist industry, if you are not a really pompass ass the worst is likely that they ignore you. Hurricanes mostly occur when the tourists are gone although the devastation from Irma took too long to clean up to be done before the season came back around. From what I heard they largely dozed everything along Rte. 1 and hauled it away so life looked somewhat 'normal' for those driving through to Key West.
    We have not been back since Irma, missed two winters but still have a reservation so IF the permitting gets done and the docks get rebuilt in 'our' campground, we hope to get back this winter. Might be in a tent (not sure we can handle that at our age) but the desire to be comfortably warm in January is strong!

I hear that there is much trail and enduro riding up on the mainland but my experience there is limited to a Superglide during Bike Week.

Bruce
    Lotta Throttle likes this.
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yep... and Dually's are becoming more common as well. 4650 lb payload.

[​IMG]

wilfred and Lotta Throttle like this.
  8. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I'm "lucky" to be heavily invested in this sport...two styles I use...

Hitch Hauler on the back of the truck, better for shorter trips in warmer weather with less planning and not knowing if I can fit the bigger option below...or if I'm short on gas money.
    [​IMG]

Toy Hauler, better for longer trips with more planning and when the weather is a bit cooler.
    [​IMG]

Then again, sometimes its nice to keep things really flexible.
    [​IMG]
  9. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Una Stamus/Thin Blue Line Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...indeed, very flexible! Toss on the Cot/Tent, couple changes of clothes, sleeping bag, hit the market on the way out of town for a couple of water bottles, fruit & sub 'shamish and Ride on!! There are times when a guy just simply needs to get out of dodge for a few days! Pack-n-Ride! :{)

Tour ready with luggage adv flag.JPG
  10. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
  11. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old setup.

[​IMG]Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

Now I have a 27' Class A, a Versys 300 and a Rampfree trailer.

I'm thinking about getting a Versahaul for my Versys 300 and foregoing the trailer. I would have to upgrade the receiver and buy the Versahaul, about $1,000 total. I'm not sure it would be worth it. The Rampfree is so easy. It can be a PITA to get a 380 pound bike on a carrier.
  12. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree, but that's not what this thread is about.
  13. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Una Stamus/Thin Blue Line Supporter

Oddometer:
    uhmm, correct. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. :{)

12+ years we have been using this setup and always having to haul the bikes separately. So now it's time to part ways with the ole' faithful 7.3L Excursion and 29QB TT and down size. I have been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a Extended Med/high Transit with the 3.7 that i think i'd like to make into a modest RV then haul the bikes in a nice little enclosed trailer. So many makes/models/versions out there wow. :{)

Memorial Day 2016 camping at the Lake Lot.jpg
  14. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I was on CR yesterday just searching for nothing and saw a couple of small transits for what looked like could be designed for handycapped or senior citizen. Looked like a good start to a new hauler.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    The 2020 models of the Transits are coming and they have a lot of changes. We just picked our Transit up for $14k off of sticker, dealers are getting nervous about the leftovers. Or you can wait a little longer and pick up one that was traded in. I think a lot of people will be trading in for the AWD model.
  16. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    I saw AWD for 2020 in another post and thought they were talking about a sprinter.
    The transit is getting AWD for 2020?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Yes and some other nifty changes. They will have a Crew Van option. Where the van gets one bench seat and bulkhead behind the seat. Perfect Moto Hauler, right from the factory. Should be able to easily fit 4 bikes and 4 people.
  18. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey JDUBinCo, can you provide a link to the Transit towing capacity? I see nothing on Ford.com
    Beefier tow could be a game changer.
    Davidprej likes this.
  19. .fisher

.fisher pissin' in the wind

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling Ford will be moving a lot of folks over to the Transit platform with the introduction of AWD. Myself included. It's absence was the only thing holding me back with my latest vehicle purchase decision, otherwise a big van is the perfect vehicle for me and my moto / camping habits. I need 4x4 or AWD for ski season, and the MB Sprinter 4x4 is a non-starter for me.

Great stuff in this thread :lurk
    Rapturee2 and katbeanz like this.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Ford has been doing real 4wd though Quigley for many years. You order the van with 4wd and the conversion gets rolled into the final sale price. Ford has been killing it in van category lately, in my travels, the Transit is the most popular van on the road that I see. Ford offering the AWD as a factory installed option is a game changer and probably going to make Nissan and Dodge add a 4wd/AWD option to their rigs.
    Snake Oiler, Rapturee2 and .fisher like this.