Bike hire

Discussion in 'Canada' started by lukex, Jan 2, 2006.

1. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Morning all,
    Happy New Year :clap:freaky

I am looking into the options of hiring a bike for a road trip around BC this summer. Does anyone know any good hire shops in the Vancouver area that don`t charge the earth to hire a bike? I have seen a few on the net but the cost is way out of our league!? Are they all that expensive? The car hire we have been offered is only about $20/day! All I have seen bikewise for that is a 50cc scooter with limited milage! We`ll be booking a fly drive and doing a three week run from Vancouver North-East to Jasper, then South to Cranbrook and then back West. I would love to do it on a bike and I ain`t fussy about what sort but can`t afford the going rates. So, I was just wondering if anyone knows by word of mouth anywhere that offers more suitable rates for bike hire?
    Cheers, At :thumb
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    A quick check on my search engine picked up at least 15 companies in southern B.C. that will rent you a bike, including 5 in Vancouver.
    You are correct that bike rental is in a different catagory than cars with regard to rental pricing. Bikes are a specialized field in most of the world. But from what I remember, the last time I rented a bike in London, at Scootabout Rentals, it was pretty expensive as well. A quick check of a rental place in Victoria shows a KLR650 for 699$cdn a week. That's 340pound for you. A harley/Gold Wing will set you back 1500$ a week. My buddy just came back from Auckland for 2 weeks on a 1150GS, 2700$!
    Remember that most all bike/RV rental places have different rates for low season, high season, and shoulder season. High season will of course be July and August. Also remember that some rental places have free unlimited mileage, and others have insurance included in their rental pricing. So studying the rates will be worth it. Insurance is mandatory in Canada, unlike the U.S.
    Also, RV [recreational vehicle, the curse of the motorcycle] rental places have bike rentals, and are worth a check.
    Also, investigate the thought of buying a bike from a dealer, at a pre-agreed price, new or used, this can make a better deal. No worries about selling it at the end of the ride as well.
    You will never find bike rental as cheap as cars, anywhere on earth, not a chance.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers Steve, I`ll will start looking into that :thumb
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell me what you might be looking for, and I can check here. I'm friends with the owner of Burnaby Kawasaki, and know the guys at Motorcycle World [Surrey, Suzuki guys] . At least I can have a look at a bike and give you the straight goods on it. I'm acussed of being a bit of a fussy bastard with bikes.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  5. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL :D
    Type of bike, hmmmmmmmmmm? GS of coarse. Naah! too expensive.....
    Well, It doesn`t need to be fast at all but it does need to carry two people plus some gear. No need for off road ability, so maybe a Yammy diversion sort of thing. Big and simple. Maybe a very old Harley? An old Guzzi would do the job nicely. I have absolutely no prejudice about bikes, if it has two wheels and runs well then that`s great. What do you think?
    :freakyL+K
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't think there's such a thing as a cheap Harley, even an old Shovelhead is worth too much for what you get. Moto Guzzi didn't import into Canada for 23 yrs, so the oldest you'd find around here is a 2000. BMW's tent to hold their value around here, but you might be able to find one at Shail's BMW in Vancouver. I think there's a good chance of finding a reasonable decent UJM [universal Japanese Motorcycle] from the 80's/90's. People here park their bikes inside during the rainy winter here. There's a few around in good shape, sitting at bike shops. Unless it's a big dual purpose, I think a smaller single cylinder bike like a KLR might not be that comfortable for two people. GS's hold their value here huge. My GS is worth more now than when I bought it new in '92.
    You should go to Shail's BMW web site, Burnaby Kawasaki's site, Western Powersports in Langley, and Holeshot Motorcycles in Langley, e-mail them and ask about the possibility of a plan like this. I'm not sure how your internet works, but if you have trouble finding their sites, I can look for them. I've heard that internet in England is expensive if you are just surfing the web, unlike here where time is not sensitive to cost.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  7. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I thought a UJM would be the best bet. I`ll have a look at those sites.
    Thanks Steve :freaky
  8. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    I know a couple of guys with multiple bikes. 1 just picked up a high miler GS from California. Of course I can't offer their bikes but I can ask them if they're interested. The 1 guy has to work a lot so he may be willing.

You from Blighty?
  9. lukex

lukex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup Fred I am. At least until I can get the **** out that is.
    Do you mean willing to sell or hire Fred?
    Cheers, At
    :nortonPS what does that smiley face mean?
  10. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    Probably hire. We have in this province what's called a temporary permit. It's used for stuff like getting an unlicenced vehicle to a garage or just to be able to legally operate it for short periods of time. It's more expensive than regular insurance and license plate (number plate) but the one great advantage of it is that you get the fully covered insurance package with it. Meaning that you have the best coverage possible. Not sure the length of time you can get it for but if it expires, you just renew it again.

Hell, if you're into either short street riding, mild off roading or more extreme off roading, someone in our club may even lend you a bike for a day or two.
    We've got lots of northern monkeys and southern sheep shaggers in our club:D

www.dualsportbc.com

I just checked the local Buy/Sell and immediately saw an 81 750 Yamaha Seca with 23,000 kms on it for $1800 or best offer. Something like that could even take you on logging roads at a reduced pace of course and if you bought something like that I can make room in my garage to sell it when you're done with it and send you the cash. Lots of options available but of course you're way better off doing them in person. A big trailie would be ideal if you want to see the real BC. btw, 1 of our members is working on a 4 day backroads ride with motels included in the admission price for the week of Aug 9-13. Starts up near 100 Mile House and does all logging roads and ends up back there.
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Fred,
    Do you know Bill, dirtybill? He's in Walnut Grove. Rides a Honda, I think a 250CRF, among other street bikes.
    Ciao, Steve G.
    P.S., Atkule, there's room in my garage as well.